Menu

Working out---can you point me in the right direction?

I'm a beginner. As in, I haven't worked out since high school PE, and I'm not sure what I did there really qualified as exercise. I am walking and slowly jogging tiny bits, thinking of trying Couch to 5K. A couple of things I want to work on are stretching and muscle toning. I do some light arm weights and crunches for my abs, but does anyone have any tips on toning up? I also need a good stretching routine because I am so incredibly inflexible. Yoga looks fun but I'm not sure I'm flexible enough. :confused: Does anyone have a favorite workout they would like to share?

I'm a beginner. As in, I haven't worked out since high school PE, and I'm not sure what I did there really qualified as exercise. I am walking and slowly jogging tiny bits, thinking of trying Couch to 5K. A couple of things I want to work on are stretching and muscle toning. I do some light arm weights and crunches for my abs, but does anyone have any tips on toning up? I also need a good stretching routine because I am so incredibly inflexible. Yoga looks fun but I'm not sure I'm flexible enough. :confused: Does anyone have a favorite workout they would like to share?

I started last year with c25k and I now run 3 miles every other day. I loved the NHS podcasts. (Just google it). Running has been my thing for the first time in my entire life since last November. Yoga is also something I had explored a bit and I really liked it. I need to move it into a more consistent place like the running. I think you are on the right track. (no pun intended):tongue_smilie: and I whole heartily recommend C25K. BTW, I lost 4 pant sizes and 20 lbs.

For diet I calculated my BMI, multiplied that by 7 days (a week), then since I wanted to lose 2lbs per week I subtracted 3500 calories (1 lb = 3500 calories per week) from the week total. Then I divided that by 7 to get my daily caloric intake. Then, to get rid of the other 3500, I make sure I burn at least 250 calories everyday. It is easy to do on my running days. The other days I try to through in a bike ride and a walk.

I keep track of everything on SparkPeople.com. I have a standard set of meals I rotate through to keep me at 350 calories (approximately) per meal. I include a snack when I need something extra. I consume about 1250 per day based on my current size and caloric need. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

When I first started out, I got a few training sessions with a professional trainer. It was very helpful because he helped me learn how to do things correctly instead of having to break bad habits (and possibly hurting myself.) It gave me a lot of confidence to continue to try new things. Now, I mostly take classes at the Y. Recently, I added a Pilates class. It makes me feel like I'm developing those little muscles that make all the big muscles work correctly -- I keep telling myself that I won't be an old lady with a broken hip.:001_smile:

You have several options, depending on what's available in your area and your budget.

You can join a YMCA or fitness center (that's what I did.) You can get an orientation on the weight machines, and you can take classes. I really like using the weight machines; dh helped me set up a routine that tones but doesn't add big muscles. :D

You can hire a personal trainer. This is probably your best bet, but also the most expensive.

You can use workout DVDs. If you find one for stretching, one for weight training, and one for cardio, you have everything you need. I use these as well. Dh and I use a stretching tape, and sometimes I use The Firm's Total Body Toner if I can't get in to work out. You can even get them for your Wii, if you have one, that allows you to customize or play games as you workout. Dh has a kickboxing/martial arts type one that he and the kiddos do.

You can could also get machines for your own home, or you could get other equipment (I use a ball - my Dr. recommended the Gold's Gym one, because it comes with a great guide full of exercises.)

If I didn't have access to a gym or trainer, I would be really tempted to use soemthing like P90X; I have heard so many people say great things about it.

T-Tapp!!!

It's awesome, awesome, awesome! The focus is on inch-loss, not weight-loss. It builds muscle but without weights, doesn't bulk you up, burns fat, burns sugar, moves the lymph, puts your body in alignment so that every function begins to work better - digestion, etc. It exercises both halves of your brain.

Here's a link to try some of the exercises - try them all but check out the Hoe Downs especially:

http://www.t-tapp.com/try/index.html

Here's more about Hoe Downs:

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/hoedowns/default.html

For something different I also like to do Callanetics - the old one called 10 Years Younger in Ten Hours. The clothes are cheesy, but the workout still works. You might find it for less on ebay.

Thanks everyone.

I started last year with c25k and I now run 3 miles every other day. I loved the NHS podcasts. (Just google it). Running has been my thing for the first time in my entire life since last November. Yoga is also something I had explored a bit and I really liked it. I need to move it into a more consistent place like the running. I think you are on the right track. (no pun intended):tongue_smilie: and I whole heartily recommend C25K. BTW, I lost 4 pant sizes and 20 lbs.

This is very encouraging!

You have several options, depending on what's available in your area and your budget.

You can join a YMCA or fitness center (that's what I did.) You can get an orientation on the weight machines, and you can take classes. I really like using the weight machines; dh helped me set up a routine that tones but doesn't add big muscles. :D

You can hire a personal trainer. This is probably your best bet, but also the most expensive.

You can use workout DVDs. If you find one for stretching, one for weight training, and one for cardio, you have everything you need. I use these as well. Dh and I use a stretching tape, and sometimes I use The Firm's Total Body Toner if I can't get in to work out. You can even get them for your Wii, if you have one, that allows you to customize or play games as you workout. Dh has a kickboxing/martial arts type one that he and the kiddos do.

You can could also get machines for your own home, or you could get other equipment (I use a ball - my Dr. recommended the Gold's Gym one, because it comes with a great guide full of exercises.)

If I didn't have access to a gym or trainer, I would be really tempted to use soemthing like P90X; I have heard so many people say great things about it.

I don't have access to a fitness center or anything, so no personal trainer or classes. I'm not too worried about the cardio, I can walk/run or biike. I would like a good stretching DVD and a good toning program. Do you have any specific you can recommend?

I have a trainer. I get overwhelmed with how many plans and books are out there and worry that I'll miss something. She understands that I want short, intense, and I'm not afraid to lift heavy weights. And builds programs for me that work with my home gym, so I have no excuses. ;-)

I've also done C25K and think interval running is awesome. Are your goals overall fitness? Endurance? Fat burning? Metabolic? Some things, like lots and lots of steady cardio, are less efficient for burning fat and stoking metabolism, but intervals and intense short workouts can have a bigger calorie burn overall because your body is stoked for hours afterwards. Weight training provides the same benefits.

Body for Life is an excellent general program--intense cardio and heavy weight lifting. The eating is too low fat for my tastes, but for building a general workout system--3 days cardio, 3 days weight training, that's where I'd start.

(There's no such thing as "toning" muscles are already tone. If you want to see the muscles you need to build them and burn fat off them. Lift big weights and eat protein. :))

Edited by Jami

I don't have access to a fitness center or anything, so no personal trainer or classes. I'm not too worried about the cardio, I can walk/run or biike. I would like a good stretching DVD and a good toning program. Do you have any specific you can recommend?

The Firm one I mentioned is wonderful for toning. You just need some hand weights in three different weights (you can start with just one set, though, and build up.) We use total Stretch for Beginners (don't let the beginners part fool you; it's good for anyone) for stretching.

I 2nd sparkpeople.com !! I really think it's a great resource and it's free! I've used it for about 5 yrs and I credit the support there with my last round of weight loss after baby #4.

They have a bunch of free short workout videos too that are great for just starting out or when you just want a short workout.

I big key to starting out is starting slow and building up. Don't try to do it all at once. And be consistent! Try for 4-5x a week of some type of exercise even if it's just 20 min.

I do light weights 2-3x a week and cardio 4x a week or more. My cardio is only 25-30 min on the elliptical usually so nothing killer. But it's enough to maintain my weight and I don't count calories or anything like that.

I like Kelly Coffey Meyer weight lifting DVDs (she has 30 min ones that I like) and Jackie Warner is good too for 30 min toning DVDs-I sweat bullets but get it done in 30 min with Jackie and see results!

Good luck!

ETA: AM/PM Stretch is great for stretching it's by Gaiam. They also have a AM/PM Yoga I think and a beginner can definitely do it.

The physical Therapists in our area will happily see people for an evaluation and then recommend an exercise program that fits their needs-- either home or gym based, and even let them come in and work out in the clinic for their first few times if needed to make sure everything is being done correctly. It may or may not be an option for you, but others reading this thread could also consider it.