Menu

Here's what I want in a K/1st science course; can you PLEASE help me find it?

mhg

My son (starting K this month/age new 5) LOVES science. His mom (me) dislikes experiments, but can endure 1 (maybe 2) a week, but I’m fairly sciency/mathy.

My son learns best by my reading to him and us discussing what we're reading. He dislikes busywork. Not an artistic bone in body (so far). Doesn't like to color.

I don't need something that teaches with a lot of similar activities. He's JUST begun handwriting so he's not a good handwriter YET (and, even once we learn handwriting) I doubt he wants to write much then). He likes to TALK and tell me his thoughts and ask questions (imagine a Magpie bird). He's an 80% Competent Carl and a 20% Wiggly Willie (per Cathy Duffy's descriptors).

I am a type A check-it-off-our-list sort. I want to do science daily for about 20 minutes x 4 days a week with perhaps a science experiment on Friday (again 20 minutes).

I THINK I want a good SPINE book and to spin off of it, but I also like the idea of some program making sure we're on track learning the key facts we need.

I recently ordered the Houghton Mifflin Science Grade 1 (he's ahead in science so I didn't order K) off ebay. Bought the teacher's manual and first grade textbook. BORING!!!! We've read this stuff at least a year ago, so I'm looking for more depth. For example, when my son was 3 he was into cacti and succulents for a few months and now, to this day, knows most of their Latin names when we go to Lowe's / Walmart (it floors the employees, but I assure them that he only knows this depth about cacti and coral reefs). I think he'd easily memorize lists of things (kingdom phylum, etc.) so I want something that exposes him to such (NOT on a 5th grade+ level, but more depth than what I’m seeing in K science books). He wants to know the WHY also.

I thumbed through BJU Press science at a curriculum fair they had and felt it (K and 1st) wasn't in depth enough either (FOR HIS INTEREST level.... not that he's some MENSA kid, but science is just his THING and we've checked out copious science books for years now thus we've covered much of the intro stuff -- basic weather, rocks, etc.).

I'd like to use mostly good books (was leaning toward elemental science) but just read some naysayers on another thread saying it was slow/boring/simplistic. What appealed to me about it was when I saw the books it suggested in the Intro to Science level – such as Handbook to Nature Study (Comstock) and Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia I liked these (as this is the type of thing we check out at the library).

So, I'm confused again.

I'd love to find something that is a guide to great books/spines and gives us activities to do based on those great spines so I can pick and choose and yet offers some good experiments to choose from as well. Minimal writing. Minimal arts/crafts/coloring.

Ones I know won't work for us:

Apologia

BJU (K or 1st)

Sonlight (at least their K level)

Science is my last mystery to solve before we start K this year.

Any suggestions?

I'm the same way. I need a spine.

We're using BJU, but I looked ahead. You might take a look at the grade 2 book (CBD has good samples). I thought the K and 1st looked easy too.

BFSU might work for you if you don't mind planning.

Library and random science kits are good ideas too.

We're in the same boat, and I'm thinking of BFSU because it's really the only thing I've found that has some structure but enough depth to accommodate my kid's interests. I got RSO to supplement but I'm not too fond of it (besides the abhorrent Comic Sans font ;) I find it busywork-ish).

Alternatively you could follow the Core Knowledge sequence and keep doing what you are doing by reading books but just follow that sequence. That's my second game plan if BFSU doesn't fly. If you have a science-y kid I think he would learn tons just by interest led reading even.

I'm not familiar with BFSU so it may be your best option.

One set of Core Knowledge Curriculum lesson plans here http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/BCPIntro2.htm are organized by monthly topics and have tons of excellent books to choose from along with experiments that are definitely doable. I think 2nd grade particularly has some months that are animal or insect oriented. Here are topics for K-2 but there are science plans all the way though fifth grade so if you have a topic to cover this might be a good reference. http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/TOC.htm

If he were mine I think I'd follow his interest in what we studied rather than following a prescribed curriculum. The above might help you if you decide to go that direction. He may, for example, be able to select from a list of topics and then you use the books lists and select experiments to delve into that topic as deeply as he wishes. I'd think that with all elementary grades laid out there would be things at appropriate depth.

Edited by sbgrace

I think you are going to have a hard time finding anything more in-depth than BFSU. It is mostly discussion-based (Socratic style), and the experiments are designed to elicit further discussion. It could work well with a spine. Or you can use the book lists at the end of each chapter.

Thanks for the for knowledge link, I think if we supplement BFSU with material from there we'll have what we need. OP have you had a chance to check out BFSU?

Not yet, but I will tonight. It seems to be a common recommendation here so I'm eager to check it out.

BFSU.

Or... just make your own. I did our 1st grade science myself this year and I personally think it rocked. We did physics and it sounds like you're going to do biology, but you can look on my blog and get an idea about how I structured it if you're interested. This is my science posts link.

Thanks for sharing this. You are THE woman!!!

Did you have a list of categories (Light, heat, energy, etc.) from a source or did you just make up your own list of them?

Thanks for sharing this. You are THE woman!!!

Did you have a list of categories (Light, heat, energy, etc.) from a source or did you just make up your own list of them?

:001_smile:Thanks.

I use the Usborne Science Encyclopedia as a spine, so I took the categories straight from there, read the pages, decided which concepts were appropriate for early elementary schoolers. We skipped some of the things in those sections (like nuclear power, for example) but it mostly worked. It only took me maybe one evening to work up a basic outline. Then it took me some time each week to plan our lesson.

My students were my two, who are twins, and two of their friends. Last year, I did almost all the teaching because the other mom had a brand new baby so I was trying to help take something off her homeschooling plate for her son who is my boys' age. Next year we're going to share a little more so we sat down and planned. We're going to do some basic chemistry and some earth science with a focus on geology. Again, we started with the Usborne Science Encyclopedia... but this time it didn't work quite as well. There were a lot more topics that were way beyond them (especially in chemistry) and other things that young kids needed to spend more time on weren't covered by more than a mention as part of another topic. So... it's not a perfect elementary age spine for all subjects. We tweaked a lot, but we still got a basic list of topics and concepts drawn up from it - and again, that didn't take that long.

My attitude has basically been that unless I were to do science out of a box with workbooks, which just isn't my style, then I'm going to end up doing a lot of planning anyway and I'd rather just have the control over it so I feel like I know what I'm doing. I mean, I read through much of BFSU and liked it, but I knew it I would end up spending just as much time prepping it and that I would do better with my own thing. Not true for every subject, but true for science for me.

:001_smile:Thanks.

I use the Usborne Science Encyclopedia as a spine, so I took the categories straight from there, read the pages, decided which concepts were appropriate for early elementary schoolers. We skipped some of the things in those sections (like nuclear power, for example) but it mostly worked. It only took me maybe one evening to work up a basic outline. Then it took me some time each week to plan our lesson.

My students were my two, who are twins, and two of their friends. Last year, I did almost all the teaching because the other mom had a brand new baby so I was trying to help take something off her homeschooling plate for her son who is my boys' age. Next year we're going to share a little more so we sat down and planned. We're going to do some basic chemistry and some earth science with a focus on geology. Again, we started with the Usborne Science Encyclopedia... but this time it didn't work quite as well. There were a lot more topics that were way beyond them (especially in chemistry) and other things that young kids needed to spend more time on weren't covered by more than a mention as part of another topic. So... it's not a perfect elementary age spine for all subjects. We tweaked a lot, but we still got a basic list of topics and concepts drawn up from it - and again, that didn't take that long.

My attitude has basically been that unless I were to do science out of a box with workbooks, which just isn't my style, then I'm going to end up doing a lot of planning anyway and I'd rather just have the control over it so I feel like I know what I'm doing. I mean, I read through much of BFSU and liked it, but I knew it I would end up spending just as much time prepping it and that I would do better with my own thing. Not true for every subject, but true for science for me.

I liked the looks of the BFSU! and for only $24 it's worth a closer look from me, but -- if it turns out to not be what I'm about either ---- I think I'm going your same route, Ferrar.

Thanks to all of you!

I liked the looks of the BFSU! and for only $24 it's worth a closer look from me, but -- if it turns out to not be what I'm about either ---- I think I'm going your same route, Ferrar.

Thanks to all of you!

You can download the PDF of the BFSU volumes for $5 each. Just a thought.

Noeo Science is an option. The only down fall I see to this program is the note booking, since your son doesn't like to draw. But, it has great books for you to read/discuss and only 1 experiment per week.

If you don't opt to purchuse the whole NOEO curriculum, one of the series of living books they use is fabulous, One Small Square. Each book takes an in depth look at one habitat with all of its creatures and plants and there are activities within each book.

If you don't opt to purchuse the whole NOEO curriculum, one of the series of living books they use is fabulous, One Small Square. Each book takes an in depth look at one habitat with all of its creatures and plants and there are activities within each book.

I'll be sure to check into it. Thanks.

Have you checked out the Answers in Genesis God's Design series? I'm doing the God's Design for Life series (world of plants, animals and human body), with my younger kids this year. My older kids are doing the God's Design for Chemistry series (Properties of Atoms and Molecules, Properties of Matter and Properties of Ecosystems). You could use them as a springboard if you wish.

I feel your frustration. Secular science options are few and far between and what is out there is not what I want either. I've elected to hobble together a few things and go with a unit study approach.

We're using Harcourt Science 2, BFSU, McRuffy Science 1 in parts, a few GEMS unit guides and I'm thinking of adding K12's online science 1 and omitting all the worksheets. Our unit topics are from Core Knowledge sequence for first grade and we are going to be using the library a lot. Someone awhile ago on this forum recommended this My First Science Notebook and I ordered the PDF and only printed out the pages I needed. http://www.christianbook.com/my-first-science-notebook/kathleen-julicher/1888717025/pd/717025 My kiddo is also not writing comfortably yet and this has some good pages for experiment logs and such that are going to take the place of notebooking while she's still so little.

Good luck!

I vote for do your own thing. My dd and I are currently doing some invertebrate studies and will be finished in just a bit. We use the DK Animal book as our spine which offers so much depth that you will be paraphrasing for your child. I then bought the intermediate dissection kit from Home Science tools and we have a dissection or other experiment once a week. I round everything out by doing a notebooking page per phylum (just a few short sentences from my dd) and sometimes an anatomy page of whatever animal we are studying. I also pick up supplemental library books that are on her level for more info. This takes us about 15-20 min/day, 3 days a week.

Good luck. It is hard to find an in-depth science program for young ones. I believe that most curricula tend to simplify way too much for this age level.

I vote for do your own thing. My dd and I are currently doing some invertebrate studies and will be finished in just a bit. We use the DK Animal book as our spine which offers so much depth that you will be paraphrasing for your child. I then bought the intermediate dissection kit from Home Science tools and we have a dissection or other experiment once a week. I round everything out by doing a notebooking page per phylum (just a few short sentences from my dd) and sometimes an anatomy page of whatever animal we are studying. I also pick up supplemental library books that are on her level for more info. This takes us about 15-20 min/day, 3 days a week.

Good luck. It is hard to find an in-depth science program for young ones. I believe that most curricula tend to simplify way too much for this age level.

I think this is the route I'll go (esp since I lost the $3.99 bid last night on ebay for the Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding!...:tongue_smilie:). I think I may buy the BFSU for next year since it said it was K-2nd, and this year I'm going to buy (WTM suggestion) the Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia and use it as a spine. now, I'm looking for a similar PLANT/Botany spine as he loves plants more than animals (my little Hobbit!).

I think this is the route I'll go (esp since I lost the $3.99 bid last night on ebay for the Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding!...:tongue_smilie:). I think I may buy the BFSU for next year since it said it was K-2nd, and this year I'm going to buy (WTM suggestion) the Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia and use it as a spine. now, I'm looking for a similar PLANT/Botany spine as he loves plants more than animals (my little Hobbit!).

http://eclectic-homeschool.blogspot.com/2011/05/botany-study.html (not my blog!)

The botany book is pretty advanced. I'd suggest for a younger kid, one or more of the Spilsbury's Life of Plants books. I have the plants parts book, and it's pretty comprehensive. Her botany book is very small print, too much info for a tiny kid.

If you have a way to read it, you can buy a $5 download of BFSU vol 1 or vol 2.

Edited by stripe

I'm not sure of your religious persuasions, but I found the Christian Kid's Explore to be a good spine especially for younger science loving kids. And then add in additional readings. They already have suggested activities that weren't too intensive or crafty. Just a thought ;)

Besides BFSU, which I highly recommend as well, you could also check out Singapore Science My Pals Are Here 3/4. Each text and activity book looks thin, but adding the Homework and Higher Order Thinking Skills makes it very meaty. You could always just discuss with your dc if writing skills are behind.

I think you can get the PDF for $5.

Yep, you can -- here's the URL

If you have a way to read it, you can buy a $5 download of BFSU vol 1 or vol 2.

I didn't even know about google books. I looked up several that had been heretofore "closed" to me and it let me flip through them. Thanks so much!

Oh, no, you have to know about Google Books! I am so glad you found out! The best stuff is the old books that are out of copyright. You can download the whole thing in PDF format (or epub if you have an ereader). :)