Menu

Scholarships for homeschooled students

Hunter's Moon

I am having trouble finding scholarship programs that don't require you attend a public high school. A scholarship that my guidance counselor previously told me I am eligible for (she knew I was homeschooled when we talked) I learned I am not eligible for after all because I won't be attending a public school for my Senior Year. It only covered the cost of tuition, but that still would have been a little of something, KWIM? It's a rule they have, I know, but I attended the school when I took the state MCAS test and got an advanced, it just makes me :glare:

So, any websites or resources where your students have found scholarships for homeschooled students?

Thanks!

Many schools offer scholarships based off the application. Look at the school(s) you are interested in and check out there application page and scholarship links.

That's what I did.

They say that when applying and before the FAFSA is taken into account, the student will be considered for merit-based scholarships and will be notified of their merit-based scholarships from the school when they receive their acceptance letter. They also link to multiple sites for scholarships, one site being dedicated completely to the college. Most on that site, though, specify that the Senior must be attending a Public High School. I'm sure they have more that aren't listed that they use, as well. But, I also plan to use the FAFSA.

The school is only $22,000/year INCLUDING room & board, which is a nice breath of fresh air compared to $30,000/year NOT INCLUDING room & board that I've been looking at.

The best scholarships generally will come from the school you will attend.

Outside scholarships (good for any school) can be found in your local ps guidance office or through organizations you or your folks might belong to. I know our credit union offers some as does our bank. The youth group my boys attend offers some. Larger workplaces often offer some.

You do have to cut a few that specify public schooled students only, but the majority we've seen have been open to anyone who meets the "other" requirements. That said, outside scholarships can be very competitive as many students are looking for the extra $$. Oldest won two (one very significant, the other minor, but bought books). He lost quite a few more.

Middle son has already won two minor scholarships based on essays. I'm hopeful he might do well this fall/spring in the "real" season as many outside scholarships involve writing and he's a better writer than oldest.

That's what I did.

They say that when applying and before the FAFSA is taken into account, the student will be considered for merit-based scholarships and will be notified of their merit-based scholarships from the school when they receive their acceptance letter. They also link to multiple sites for scholarships, one site being dedicated completely to the college. Most on that site, though, specify that the Senior must be attending a Public High School. I'm sure they have more that aren't listed that they use, as well. But, I also plan to use the FAFSA.

The school is only $22,000/year INCLUDING room & board, which is a nice breath of fresh air compared to $30,000/year NOT INCLUDING room & board that I've been looking at.

Stephanie,

Are you willing to broaden your range of area? I think you can find less expensive high quality schools that might offer better scholarship opportunities.

One that comes to mind is ETSU. They have a medical school, a pharmacy program (you are the one that is working in the pharmacy, correct? Sometimes I confuse posters!! :tongue_smilie:), etc. It has an excellent reputation in TN. . http://www.etsu.edu/admissions/documents/Tuition_Assistance_Opportunities.pdf Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at the university honors program. I think you would qualify for that. And if not that one specifically, you would probably get the 50% tuition assistance which would bring down a yrs tuition to approx. $10,000.

There are lots of schools out there that will reduce your out-of-state tuition rates to in-state rates based on your SAT scores. I would not go anywhere that is as expensive as what you are describing. You have better options.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Stephanie,

Are you willing to broaden your range of area? I think you can find less expensive high quality schools that might offer better scholarship opportunities.

One that comes to mind is ETSU. They have a medical school, a pharmacy program (you are the one that is working in the pharmacy, correct? Sometimes I confuse posters!! :tongue_smilie:), etc. It has an excellent reputation in TN. . http://www.etsu.edu/admissions/documents/Tuition_Assistance_Opportunities.pdf Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at the university honors program. I think you would qualify for that. And if not that one specifically, you would probably get the 50% tuition assistance which would bring down a yrs tuition to approx. $10,000.

There are lots of schools out there that will reduce your out-of-state tuition rates to in-state rates based on your SAT scores. I would not go anywhere that is as expensive as what you are describing. You have better options.

The reason I plan to attend a nearby school is my parents. They need help (my mother has Dementia). I would not be willing to leave them.

This is a really good school and they have over 90 different majors. I will be applying undecided and have a few leanings. They have top notch laboratorys and their internship opportunities are amazing as well. They also have terrific tutoring programs at no charge. I know a few people who attend and absolutely love it for its academics and social life.

I plan to go home at least every other weekend, and it will be free (free public transportation around college town and from the college town to my home city which is about 35-45 minutes). Also, the traveling costs to go to a school in a different state probably wouldn't be worth it.

Edited by BeatleMania

Also, in speaking with the guidance counselor yesterday, she said their average SAT score for 2011-2012 was 1170 (combined math and reading). She said it generally stays in this range and hasn't changed since 2009.

I read you should aim for a school where your SAT score is higher than their average. Mine was 1290. I don't know if that is high enough above their average to help me get significant merit-based scholarships or not.

We also did an expected family contribution (EFC) calculator and it said $0. We'll be filling out the FAFSA in early January with estimates and then update when my dad files for taxes, but I hope this will help me get need-based scholarships and hopefully between merit and need I won't need loans, or very little.

Have you checked the school's website to see what merit scholarships they offer? Many schools post those, often as a chart. My dc knew what merit scholarships they would get because the website told us. These are based on GPA (and they didn't care that it was hs transcript) and SAT/ACT scores. The school you are looking at may have this info posted if you do some searching. Try looking at the Financial Aid pages or do a search of the school's website for 'scholarships' and see what you can find.

If your FAFSA EFC says you have a contribution of 0 then you will probably get some grant money as well, and you can also try to get work study, which is usually an on campus job where the money goes to help pay for tuition. Good planning to file in early January because often the need based money is distributed on a first come, first served basis.

Have you checked the school's website to see what merit scholarships they offer? Many schools post those, often as a chart. My dc knew what merit scholarships they would get because the website told us. These are based on GPA (and they didn't care that it was hs transcript) and SAT/ACT scores. The school you are looking at may have this info posted if you do some searching. Try looking at the Financial Aid pages or do a search of the school's website for 'scholarships' and see what you can find.

If your FAFSA EFC says you have a contribution of 0 then you will probably get some grant money as well, and you can also try to get work study, which is usually an on campus job where the money goes to help pay for tuition. Good planning to file in early January because often the need based money is distributed on a first come, first served basis.

They aren't very clear on their scholarships. They have a site dedicated specifically to the scholarships they offer, but they aren't in detail. They don't say what qualifies someone, just if they'll be automatically entered when applying or when sending in the FAFSA. I guess I'll just have to wait...

I would talk to the college admission counselors and see what they have to say about this. The website doesn't always explain everything and they don't always show everything. If you can get a combined scholarship from the college, financial aid from the school, and then financial aid from the government, then you can really reduce your college expenses to practically nothing.

It may sound like a lot, but taking out a small loan might help too, but that is a big "if" I know!:)

I would talk to the college admission counselors and see what they have to say about this. The website doesn't always explain everything and they don't always show everything. If you can get a combined scholarship from the college, financial aid from the school, and then financial aid from the government, then you can really reduce your college expenses to practically nothing.

It may sound like a lot, but taking out a small loan might help too, but that is a big "if" I know!:)

I've been having issues with one specific admissions counselor from the school, so until that's cleared up, I won't be asking about that ;)

But, that is a good idea.

My mother and I were talking about loans last night. We discussed it, and I'm looking into it more. They will only be taken out when absolutely necessary (if I can't afford to pay the 10-monthly installments) but even then, if it's over a certain amount each semester, I'll just have to figure something else out. We haven't come up with a maximum yet, though.

My mother and I were talking about loans last night. We discussed it, and I'm looking into it more. They will only be taken out when absolutely necessary (if I can't afford to pay the 10-monthly installments) but even then, if it's over a certain amount each semester, I'll just have to figure something else out. We haven't come up with a maximum yet, though.

Most schools will suggest that you take out loans. You can minimize these somewhat by working a lot in the summer and saving up some money. You can also slightly reduce your expenses by buying used books, taking a smaller meal plan, and living off campus, if that is allowed.

Unfortunately, the college financing/scholarship arena can seem random at times. A few schools will say that if your SAT/GPA are over a certain level, you will get this specific scholarship. Most will not say that. You just have to apply and hope for the best.

That is why it's important to apply to a variety of schools because you probably won't know until March or April the full financial packages from all of your colleges. Just try to keep your options open and not get your heart set on any particular school. Your desires in a school may change over the next 9 months, too. It sounds like you're already aware of what your local CC offers. You might consider an application to a couple of local state colleges or universities and also a couple of private schools. Even though some of these may not seem super attractive now, think of it as giving yourself choices down the road.

Have you looked at either Smith or Mount Holyoke? I don't know if either of these would have anything you'd be interested in, though, but they might be worth a look as a long shot. They are higher ranked, so your acceptance would not be assured, but from what I've read, they both have very good financial aid. If you got in, you'd likely get a good package even though their costs are high. Smith, in particular, says that they try to minimize loans. If they have something you find interesting, you might consider an application just to see what happens.

Regarding your question about scholarships -- I haven't seen any specifically for homeschoolers. I agree with the others who said that the biggest money comes from the colleges themselves. However, there are usually a bunch of smaller, local scholarships available from things like the Elks club. These you might find out about from your old school counselor. At least in our area, homeschoolers can apply for these. The dollar values aren't high, but every little bit helps. Winning these will probably not make a difference to which school you choose, but they can help with things like that first year's books. My son won one such scholarship for $750, so it was worth the application.

Best wishes to you in what is a very stressful process for all involved,

Brenda

Most schools will suggest that you take out loans. You can minimize these somewhat by working a lot in the summer and saving up some money. You can also slightly reduce your expenses by buying used books, taking a smaller meal plan, and living off campus, if that is allowed.

Unfortunately, the college financing/scholarship arena can seem random at times. A few schools will say that if your SAT/GPA are over a certain level, you will get this specific scholarship. Most will not say that. You just have to apply and hope for the best.

That is why it's important to apply to a variety of schools because you probably won't know until March or April the full financial packages from all of your colleges. Just try to keep your options open and not get your heart set on any particular school. Your desires in a school may change over the next 9 months, too. It sounds like you're already aware of what your local CC offers. You might consider an application to a couple of local state colleges or universities and also a couple of private schools. Even though some of these may not seem super attractive now, think of it as giving yourself choices down the road.

Have you looked at either Smith or Mount Holyoke? I don't know if either of these would have anything you'd be interested in, though, but they might be worth a look as a long shot. They are higher ranked, so your acceptance would not be assured, but from what I've read, they both have very good financial aid. If you got in, you'd likely get a good package even though their costs are high. Smith, in particular, says that they try to minimize loans. If they have something you find interesting, you might consider an application just to see what happens.

Regarding your question about scholarships -- I haven't seen any specifically for homeschoolers. I agree with the others who said that the biggest money comes from the colleges themselves. However, there are usually a bunch of smaller, local scholarships available from things like the Elks club. These you might find out about from your old school counselor. At least in our area, homeschoolers can apply for these. The dollar values aren't high, but every little bit helps. Winning these will probably not make a difference to which school you choose, but they can help with things like that first year's books. My son won one such scholarship for $750, so it was worth the application.

Best wishes to you in what is a very stressful process for all involved,

Brenda

If I can figure out how to get application fee waivers, I'll be applying to multiple. Mount Holyoke is apart of the five college consortium with the college I would like to apply. I haven't looked into it too much, but my two friends' step father works there as a cook so I've been there a few times. The reason I really want to attend the state college is because they are the only college in Massachusetts to offer a Microbiology degree. It also offers a Master's and PhD option. I'll be applying undecided, but Microbiology interests me so I'd like to take a few classes from the major and see if I'd like it and could handle it.

I'll also be applying to the CC in January and I can transfer to the college I want after two years and acceptance is guaranteed. However, I am really trying to avoid attending this CC. It is in a dangerous area and a lot of reviews say it is like 13th grade. I've been there a few times and will attend campus classes in the Fall and Spring, so we'll see, but from what I've seen, I wouldn't want to go there everyday for two years.

I'll also look into more local scholarships.

Also, I figure since I've already given out enough information for people to figure out what college I would like to attend, I'll just say it's UMass @ Amherst. It isn't close enough to where I live for anyone to track me down :tongue_smilie:

A lot of people say it's a party school and it drives me nutty when someone calls it ZooMass. I know many people who go there and love it, even a few conservative people.

My best friend went to Amherst and my bil went to Williams. Each of them received a wonderful financial aid package. Both schools, at the time, had a program to meet you where you were (financially) after admission was secured.

Edited by Jan in SC
Please ignore grammar and typing issues- phone typing!