Menu

S/O: Online colleges - "Disclosing" an online degree

The other thread about online colleges got me to thinking: when putting college information on a resume or application, is there any way to distinguish between an online and B&M degree? Should there be? I guess many HR-types know the schools that are online only, but what about those that are both? Should an applicant disclose it if their degree program was online? What about in the interviewing process? (Of course I wouldn't lie if asked point blank, but there are ways to avoid offering information without being dishonest.)

I am asking b/c I am currently in a masters program through a large state university (B&M) that is an all online option, but they also offer the same degree on campus. There is a one-semester practicum/student-teaching requirement so there is some "real-world" experience. I just started so it will be a couple of years before I am looking for a job (if I go back to work then).

I was just wondering if those in hiring positions felt like applicants should disclose their degree was obtained through an online program. Is it something you would ask in an interview? Would it make a difference? How about someone in the applicant position, would you disclose? If so when and how?

I am asking b/c I am currently in a masters program through a large state university (B&M) that is an all online option, but they also offer the same degree on campus. There is a one-semester practicum/student-teaching requirement so there is some "real-world" experience. I just started so it will be a couple of years before I am looking for a job (if I go back to work then).

I can't speak for everyone, but this wouldn't be a problem in my circle of friends and acquaintances who hire. They mainly don't want bachelor degrees from online schools (unless the degree follows a bit of work experience).

Online only schools are easy to reject. Online via b&m schools can be figured out pretty easily in an interview by asking the candidate about various college life experiences in a casual manner, but again, really, only the bachelor degree with a new hire (first job) matters.

I doubt that it will be an issue in your case because it is through a B&M.

A friend of mine just completed a teaching certificate through a state program as you describe, and the fact that it was mostly online hasn't been an issue at all in her job search. Her certificate came through a B&M, but they only met a few times each semester and then she did her practice teaching.

I did graduate work 20+ years ago part B&M and part distance, and it has never come up at all. Then I did a technical certificate entirely online through a B&M, and that has never been questioned either.

It probably depends on the type of degree. Maybe?

For example, I'm an education major. The school is in Utah so I certainly never go there. I had some proctored exams, but most coursework was done at home through the liberal arts stuff and even the beginning teacher coursework. But I had to take the same state exams as anyone else (and scored in the top percentages to receive an award for doing so which I most certainly will mention). Additionally, any teaching program has to include in-school observation and activities. Student teaching is the last part of the degree program. So there are lots of eyes, a checks and balances system, along the way.

I can't imagine you can counsel people without some sort of experience type coursework. I certainly don't want my nurse to have never seen a human being either. But a computer guy who fiddled around with things at home to complete his coursework (and got his certifications) actually seems like it *could* be a good thing.

Also, I think in time, online schools will become the norm and more respected. The air has already changed quite a bit. I also think there are some real positives to online schooling and what it may say about a person's drive, determination, character. A lot just depends and I think in time it'll depend even more. But I do think people will stop worrying about it so much.

I don't think it's any more relevant than asking an applicant if they went to class every day. If you can make the same (or better) grades studying independently than I'm not sure why that would be a negative. Online classes are *more* interactive in most cases because you are required to (and graded on) making well-researched, thoughtful responses to discussion questions. You can't just sleep or occasionally raise your hand and call it participation.

I don't think it's any more relevant than asking an applicant if they went to class every day. If you can make the same (or better) grades studying independently than I'm not sure why that would be a negative. Online classes are *more* interactive in most cases because you are required to (and graded on) making well-researched, thoughtful responses to discussion questions. You can't just sleep or occasionally raise your hand and call it participation.

:iagree:

Going forward, there will be such a large number of online degree options that it will become irrelevant. The future is a hybrid of online and B&M which is right where you are. Don't sweat it!

Goodness no.

Things are changing fast. I got my first MA in '92. Even our research papers had to have NO web based references in them. The internet was new and was just simply not to be trusted for acurate information.

FF to me getting my 2nd MA in 2002. Most of my research had to include at least X number of online references! :tongue_smilie:

I took 2 of my classes for my 2nd MA online. I had to because they wouldn't have fit into my schedule to graduate on time.

I have never been asked if I took any of my classes online.

About 4 years ago I considered getting a 3rd MA in Media Services (school library sciences) and it is a 100% online degree from the same school I got my other MAs.

Dawn