Menu

What method of teaching math is this?

My niece is staying with us for a few days. She just finished first grade at her local ps. Yesterday, for math review, I did addition flash cards with the kids. I pulled out the simple facts that add up to 10 for niece, because she wanted to do it, too. She told me she has never done flashcards before. Well, she didn't know any of the math facts by looking at the flashcards. She was trying to use her fingers to add, but couldn't really do that.

So, today, I printed out subtraction worksheets for the kids, and I made her one with very simple problems, like 3-1 and 5-2. She was drawing little dots and crossing them out. So, is that the method they use in a particular curriculum? My kids did Everyday Math at school, and I don't think they learned that. Does anyone know what program that comes from? I'd like to look at it and maybe help her with getting math facts under control. What happens when she gets to problems like 147-39? Is she going to draw 147 dots and cross off 39 of them? I'm watching her for a few more chunks of days over the summer, so we could get some good math time in. I'm going to buy her some flash cards to take home and tell her mom to work with her on them. Her mom tries somewhat, but she is a little challenged with her parenting and life skills due to her early childhood before she was adopted. Her mental faculties are not that sharp from severe lack of nutrition as a baby and toddler. She listens to me and usually takes what I say to heart (like you can't send a 5 yr. old out in the snow in sandals and a light sweatshirt!!! which she actually did once!) My niece is a bright and interested kid. She wants to learn. I'm afraid she will fall through the cracks, just because her mom doesn't even know what to do or how to advocate for her daughter. I know this isn't my responsibility, but it kills me to see my beautiful niece having to just take what she can get from ps with no one making sure she thrives. SIL is single and the father is not in the picture.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

It's not touch math. Touch math has the kids use the physical features of the numbers themselves as the manipulatives. She would have drawn the numbers and then tapped her pencil on them.

This is just very basic K math. Most K math programs will start kids off with drawing three circles and then drawing two more to see that 3+2=5. Very few stick with that beyond K.

By 1st grade most are at least using base 10 block representations with a square for 100, a stick for 10, and a dot for 1.

By 1st grade most are at least using base 10 block representations with a square for 100, a stick for 10, and a dot for 1.

This is what we learned in my elementary math education class in college. We lined the pictures up just like you would numbers and called it exchanging instead of borrowing.

A cube is used for 1000.

It's not touch math. Touch math has the kids use the physical features of the numbers themselves as the manipulatives. She would have drawn the numbers and then tapped her pencil on them.

Right you are. I misconstrued the original post.

Bill

Touch math assigns points to each number. that you count as you add or subtract. 3 for example has a "point" at the end if each line extending to the left. You touch each point as you count to add. You cam do the same for subtraction. I was taught this way at some point (rather than drilling my facts) I started relying on it. I could do a multiplication timed test, but not addition! We drill facts on paper and mentally at our house.

As far as th dots....she is just using pictures to do her math. For some kids the ability to think of numbers without looking at the pictures develops a little later. You might get a workbook that starts with illustrations of problems and moves just numbers. When ever she is with you, you can do math drills. Flash cards at home are good too, but if she has not made the transition to the more abstract thought in math, she may just struggle and get frustrated.

I can remember having to do this in 1st grade math (I HATED almost everything about first grade). We had workbooks with tear out pages, and I can remember having to draw the STUPID dots next to each number in a vertical problem. I could do the problems mentally but my (RIDICULOUS) teacher wouldn't accept the work without the dots.

I don't know whether this was a requirement of the curriculum or just Mrs. Barasch's control issues. I also had to do the "getting ready to read" book (and NOT go ahead - she made me erase work where I had) with my reading group even though I was also in a pull-out accelerated reading program.

My mom says she's amazed I wanted to keep going to school. I hadn't told her about a lot of this stuff. I did have a really positive public school experience other than this woman.

Thanks, everyone. At least I have some idea where to start. It seems like she might be doing that representational thing. She seemed to just use the dots for counters. I can see how using the stick and square would help with place value. We use MUS, so the blocks are similar. I will look for some work sheets with more representational type problems and we'll go from there.

I still use the dots. It's the way I was taught and I can't do all math in my head. If it's a big problem, you just add in rows and use the dots that way.

She should practice getting quick with her facts though. I taught my sons to use dots and they are very quick with mental math now. I let them drop the dots once they "got" math.

As far as th dots....she is just using pictures to do her math. For some kids the ability to think of numbers without looking at the pictures develops a little later. You might get a workbook that starts with illustrations of problems and moves just numbers. When ever she is with you, you can do math drills. Flash cards at home are good too, but if she has not made the transition to the more abstract thought in math, she may just struggle and get frustrated.

"Seeing dots" as groups can be a very effective skill vs "counting dots."

Seeing a set (or part) of 3 dots and another set of 2 dots as 5 dots (without counting them) is a wonderful skill to cultivate.

Bill

I was born in 1961 and I think I was taught to use dots- I'm sure I didn't think that up on my own. I've tried to find out what program that was, but never found one that uses the dots in the shapes I recall.

I didn't have any trouble transitioning out of using dots, and didn't have any trouble going on to higher math (even though I was subjected to New Math!). I do, however, vividly recall using the dot method and have occasionally resorted to it when I'm selling tickets at the box office of our kids' theater program. Something about the stress and rush makes me forget how to do basic math.

You're a good aunt to help your niece learn her math facts. It's not that the method she was taught is poor- but by now she's likely ready to memorize the facts and move on.

"Seeing dots" as groups can be a very effective skill vs "counting dots."

Seeing a set (or part) of 3 dots and another set of 2 dots as 5 dots (without counting them) is a wonderful skill to cultivate.

Bill

I do this! That's how I picture math in my head.

You're a good aunt to help your niece learn her math facts. It's not that the method she was taught is poor- but by now she's likely ready to memorize the facts and move on.

Thanks. I keep trying to talk SIL and dh's step-mom (niece's grandma with whom they live) into letting niece live here full time! :D So far, they're not agreeing. :lol: I know dh's brother and his wife also try to help niece with school related things. Dh's brother bribed niece with Justin Bieber merchandise to do well on her spelling tests this year! :lol:

I do this! That's how I picture math in my head.

An idea I stole from Miquon was to make a flap-board out of cardboard. On a rectangular piece of cardboard (cut from a box) I put "photo corners" (of the types that were used for scrapbooks in the pre-digital age) that would accommodate an index-cards, one on either side.

Then I make two "doors" out of cardboard (hinged with fabric tape) that covered the place the index cards would go. Are you with me? :D

You open the flap-board up and load it with 2 cards (one on either side). And then close it up.

Then you can "reveal" one card. The card can be done in various forms: Numerals, Tally Marks, and also various versions of "dots" (I used both two rows of 5 red dots and bi-colored 5 yellow/5 blue dots on a line to emulate an AL Abacus).

So say you open a flap and there are two dots. Then you can play. Open the other flap and it has 3. How many all together. Close one (say 2) and how many are left. Open 2 and How many now?

The variations are endless and all it takes is an old box, some index cards, and a way to attach the cards temporally to the inside face of the flap-board.

It is a goofey-fun way to work on these skills.

Bill

An idea I stole from Miquon was to make a flap-board out of cardboard. On a rectangular piece of cardboard (cut from a box) I put "photo corners" (of the types that were used for scrapbooks in the pre-digital age) that would accommodate an index-cards, one on either side.

Then I make two "doors" out of cardboard (hinged with fabric tape) that covered the place the index cards would go. Are you with me? :D

You open the flap-board up and load it with 2 cards (one on either side). And then close it up.

Then you can "reveal" one card. The card can be done in various forms: Numerals, Tally Marks, and also various versions of "dots" (I used both two rows of 5 red dots and bi-colored 5 yellow/5 blue dots on a line to emulate an AL Abacus).

So say you open a flap and there are two dots. Then you can play. Open the other flap and it has 3. How many all together. Close one (say 2) and how many are left. Open 2 and How many now?

The variations are endless and all it takes is an old box, some index cards, and a way to attach the cards temporally to the inside face of the flap-board.

It is a goofey-fun way to work on these skills.

Bill

Very cool idea. I'm going to try to fashion one of these in the next few days. Thanks!

Very cool idea. I'm going to try to fashion one of these in the next few days. Thanks!

I hope you enjoy it.

The peek-a-boo (will that get past the auto-censor? :tongue_smilie:) aspect adds some "fun" vs flash-cards and you can work all the inter-related addition and subtraction facts in one load, which is a good thing as the inter-relatedness of the operations is an important understanding to cultivate.

Another great feature of the flap-board (if you are as mean as I am at times :D) is that you can snap-it-shut at the first signs of "counting." I was relentless in enforcing a "no counting" policy, and I think it paid off. YMMV.

Bill