Menu

Workout people, address my angst!

I'm mildly bummed about this. Tell me if this is normal.

At the beginning of June, I decided that after a lifetime of relative inactivity, Mom was going to "summer camp." Not literally, but I splurged on signing myself up for a full summer of personal training sessions.

I love it. I've been doing the training twice a week. It's very hard - resistance training with lots circuit stuff to get my heart beat up. I had no idea I could do the things I've done - every session is fun but hard. I have never sweat more.

They also gave me a cardio assignment, which is at least 30 minutes of cardio with my heart in a particular range, four days a week.

Weight loss was not a goal. I have not struggled with weight issues, though the last year, a bit of weight was creeping on. When I did the initial assessment, I was 4 or 5 pounds above what my weight has always been, but no big deal. But the trainer did tell me that I should expect to gain a few more pounds because the amount of fat I needed to lose was, by their measures, a few pounds less than the amount of muscle I should expect to gain. Okay. I didn't really believe him. I figured I already WAS a bit heavier than my norm, so I would stay there, but I have 32 personal training sessions, so that could include some pounds of muscle gained.

Instead, in just four weeks, I have GAINED five more pounds. That's five more than the five I was already showing above my norm. So am 10 pounds above where I have been the rest of my adult life. Actually, more like 12. It's so weird. I've always found that I could eat more or eat less and not really see a big weight change.

The good thing is, I have been running for the first time in my life. I've gone for 2 1/2 mile runs 4 of the last 7 days, and ENJOYED it. I can't believe I can do it, and I am really proud of myself. I also see little muscles popping up in my arms. So I am happy about that part, and I do see the big picture. I know that my fitness is more important that being "thin" and that the exercise is already making me feel confident, powerful, and just plain good.

But why the weight gain? It can't all be muscle. And my clothes actually are snug. It's depressing. I guess I am eating more because I am hungrier, but I don't think it's that much more.

I've never dieted much in my life. I'm sort of afraid to try to restrict calories when I am increasing my activity by so much. Plus, I am depressed that I would have to start dieting for the first time in years :( I really didn't want this to be about weight.

Is this normal when a smallish person starts a serious fitness program? I really didn't want to think about weight issues because I see so many women who have unhealthy thought patterns about weight. I'm at an age where I don't want a bikini body, don't plan to wear a bikini ever for the rest of my life, and was just feeling good about being a graying lady who is not afraid to sweat. But when I step on the scale, suddenly I am not so accepting of this, you know?

Edited by Danestress

Yes, it's normal and you need to bear it out.

Muscle, water retention, increase calorie intake ... run harder, drink more water, mind (not obsess over) your calorie intake.

You are also reshaping your body with all that weight training. BTW, I always puff up when I use weights.

BTW, I always puff up when I use weights.

Do you mean that you see muscle - or that you feel like you gain all over?

Do you think that after a while, this will slow down? I could even live with the amount I have gained so far, but I don't think gaining five pounds every four weeks would be good after another month!

You're building mean muscle. It weights more than fat. And body weight can fluctuate as much as 10 lbs over the course of a day.

Pay more attention to how you feel and the way your clothes fit. Weight and measurements can be deceptive if you don't start out with lots of padding to lose. :001_smile:

Do you mean that you see muscle - or that you feel like you gain all over?

Do you think that after a while, this will slow down? I could even live with the amount I have gained so far, but I don't think gaining five pounds every four weeks would be good after another month!

My muscles swell and I look like I am about to sprout an Adam's apple. Generally all over.

Results aren't linear. I believe you will eventually stop puffing up and cut down.

Part of it is prob inflamation from new muscle usage. Water retention can be a mighty thing as well. I always gain about 3lbs when I am sore from a really hard workout. Oh, and heat! I always put on a few pounds when we have a heat wave. I don't have air conditioning :glare: but man, do I pee it off when the temps drop!

But, you also mention you are eating more. Don't give in to a muffin because you 'deserve' it after a workout. A smoothie will kill your calorie count.

Make sure you are getting all the veggies and fruit your body needs every day. drink more water, that is for sure.

To put it in perspective, I 'gained' 5lb in 36 hours from visiting my in-laws for 4th of july. it was salty holiday food I am sure.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just be very aware of your water intake, avoid salty foods, and make sure you not eating more calorie dense foods, under the mistaken impression that it's a fair trade for any exercise. The average human being only uses 100 calories to move one mile.

Instead, in just four weeks, I have GAINED five more pounds.

This is not important compared to this:

The good thing is, I have been running for the first time in my life. I've gone for 2 1/2 mile runs 4 of the last 7 days, and ENJOYED it.

I don't know how old you are, but I can't even run 2 1/2 yards. Be delighted with your success.

Some of the possible explanations. I did the math, and in order to gain 5 pounds in four weeks, I would need an extra 625 calories a day with no extra exercise. That simply could not have happened. I think I am hungry and maybe eating more, but not a Big Mac-a-day more or a piece of cheesecake. So maybe it's water retention or something - or some gain but not a full 5 pounds worth.

Thanks for your help, ladies.

Believe me, I know. I am 43. I couldn't run 2 1/2 miles when I was 20 either. My DH is a runner and he's always wished I would give it a try. I'm amazed that I have managed this. Seriously, the first time I wanted to tell total strangers at the grocery, "By the way, I ran 2 1/2 miles today."

It may be how your body is working. You have started a new routine, putting out a lot more calories. Your body could feel like it's a shock and is retaining as much as it can. Give it time and it will balance out.

I know for me, it took a year of consistent running before I lost any weight. Weight loss was not my goal either. I wanted to get healthy. Technically I was not much over weight (for my height, but for me I was). After a year the weight started to drop off. I think my body just held onto it. My body did something similar when I was pregnant. It was like my metabolism just shut down, and everything I ate put on weight (I gained almost 50 lbs with each pregnancy). But after I had the baby my body returned to normal and I shed the weight.

Keep up the great work, and enjoy the results that you are getting.

I'm mildly bummed about this.?

Don't be!!! Be sooo proud of yourself, the scale is just a scale....here are some tips that won't cut calories but WILL put the right things in and help reduce water retention that comes when you build new muscle mass...remember all that soreness from workouts? Inflammation promotes water retention! :)

1. Drink only water for a week....really really helps! Add in a cup of skim milk the next week and try to remember to never drink your calories.

2. Cut out processed sugars for a week....no white sugar, use honey if you need it and eat raw fruits.

3. Whole grains...only eat cereals with less than 6g sugars and high whole grain content (multi-grain cheerios works for me)

It's not about how much you eat as it is what you eat....make these changes and you'll see the weight melt off!! :)

I agree with what others have said about the water. Drink A LOT of water. I've read you should read half your weight in ounces per day. So - 150 pounds would be 75 ounces per day. My workout goal not IS to lose weight - and I see a huge difference when I drink a lot of water.

Some of the possible explanations. I did the math, and in order to gain 5 pounds in four weeks, I would need an extra 625 calories a day with no extra exercise. That simply could not have happened.

This is not true. Ad you noted, it simply could not have happened. Calories don't add up to pounds like ounces do. There are many, many more factors involved.

The bottom line is -- if you keep doing this for two years, you are going to be lean and fit. You know that's true.

I don't have all the answers, but congrats! :party:

You are doing a great thing despite what the scale says. Just keep it up, and things will probably even out. Just keep eating well.

Lots of people are what my brother (the ultramarathoner) calls "skinny fat." They are people who are naturally skinny, but they have very little muscle. I remember when I was in my lower 20's, I invited a friend to roller blade. Nothing fancy, just down the street and back. I am not a great roller blader; it was just for fun. She was worn out while I felt like I had done nothing, but she was thinner than I. She still is, but I workout daily.

Just remember, being fit is far more important than having a few extra pounds.

Back in the day when I was a pup I went to basic training for the US Army. I remember being upset that I gained so much during basic training when the food was so terrible and we were working out so much. My new uniforms were tight.

After we got to our advanced training about two months later I noticed that this had stopped and I was actually leaner and stronger than I had been. I'm not sure why that gain happens, but it did happen to me too and it was temporary. I wondered if maybe my new muscles were swollen or something. Not sure, but it does go away.