Menu

May I see your curriculum plans for upcoming Kindergarten (K)?

BethG

My ds will be doing these subjects:

Math: Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten B - Standards edition

start Singapore Primary 1A

online flashcards

Reading: OPGTR

McGuffey's Eclectic Readers (lower level for encouragement)

progressivephonics.com (lower level for encouragement)

Handwriting: HWOT 1st grade book

Science and history: w/ older siblings

reading together from KF and Usborne encyclopedias

This is more 1st grade work but DS is starting K in the fall:

Language Arts: First Language Lessons, Spelling Workout A

Handwriting: Finish Kumon/Brainquest Workbooks (purchase HWOT Red when finished)

Math: Singapore Essentials B, Rightstart Al-Abacus Activities, Math For the Gifted Student Workbook

Literature: Sonlight Book Lists from Library

Unit Studies: Harvest Time and Winter Wonderland (Wee Folk Art - http://www.weefolkart.com)

Social Studies: Core Knowledge “What Your K'er Needs To Knowâ€

Science: Sonlight Science K

Spanish: La Clase Divertida 1

We just finished K if that's helpful. It was a great success.

My ds was 4 at the beginning of the year and turned 5 in October. So a little young, I kept it gentle, but he excelled greatly.

Math- Singapore Early bird B (He started Book A the year prior and then worked him into book B which he's almost done with. book A could be skipped if your student has done some preschool type math work)

Phonics- Explode the Code 1 & 2 (the year prior he did the "get ready, set, and go" for the code preschool books. these could easily be skipped if your student knows letter sounds already.)

Reading- Bob books (just started with the first set and worked our way through all of it by the end of the year. We got all these from our library. He's reading independently more and more now and it's wonderful!)

A Reason for Handwriting K- zaner blosser style but I like the Scripture content although not much of this in the K book. Next year he'll be writing scriptures though.

Those were the CORE for me, my main objective was to get him reading, writing and get him rolling in math. Since he's my youngest, I also had him join his 3rd grade sister on these other subjects with a kindergarten involvement/expectation. Probably wouldn't have done them though if he was my oldest. So these were kind of electives and done more in the second half of the year.

Science- Apologia Astronomy

Tapestry of Grace- History, Literature, Geography, Lapbooks

Hope that helps!

We have more of a K/1st schedule, but here's what we are doing:

Language Arts

Explode the Code 2 & 3

Winning with Writing 1

All About Spelling 1

Ambleside Online Year One

Math

Singapore Primary 1B & 2A

Math Whizz (online)

Science

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey

Social Studies

Maps, Charts Graphs C

Ambleside Online Year One

(possibly going to start Elemental History later this year)

Fine Art

World's Greatest Artists

Classics for Kids/Stories of Great Composers

Technology

Easy Tech

Religious Studies

IQRA (Islam)

Logic

Logic Safari 1 & 2 (& 3 if we get to it)

Core curriculum: Sonlight

Math-Rightstart Math Level A

Phonics: Phonics Pathways and Explode The Code workbooks

Handwriting: Homemade worksheets

Science: The World God Made; SL Science Core A

Portuguese: speak to them in Portuguese; Portuguese readers

Nora Gaydos Level 1 books; other readers

History: Sonlight Core A

For my DD who will be starting K, we will be using:

Heart of Dakota's Little Hearts for His Glory

Abeka 1st grade phonics, reading, and penmanship

ABeka Health Safety and Manners 1

Polished Cornerstones

Little Keepers of the Home

Little Pim French

Mission Monde ABC French

Phonics-

We've been using OPGTR for awhile and have hit a wall so we are backtracking with Hooked on Phonics for some confidence and extra practice. We'll eventually switch back to OPGTR. I also have MCP Palid Phonics A to begin when I feel he is ready.

Math-

We're about a third of the way through Horizons K right now, working on it a few times a week. In September we will add in Rightstart A on alternating days so we can stretch the K math out all year.

Religion-

Who am I?

And he'll listen in on the simple Bible stories I read to my toddler

Memory-

I have the CD-ROM for Classical Conversations cycle 3 and I am ordering the timeline put out by Classically Catholic. This will be low pressure along with his older brother. I am also considering the lesson plans put out by Memoria Press for K. I like the looks of their recitation, as well as some of the optional lessons.

Handwriting- We're working through the Kumon lowercase book and have Zaner-Bloser K for when we finish. If we get the MP plans, I am going to order their Copybook I as well.

Science-

Elemental Science Intro

History-

Adventures in America

We just finished K, too. My son has a summer birthday, so he was 5 all year (turns 6 this month). He did 100 Easy Lessons when he was 4, and it went fantastically. He was reading independently before he finished the 100 Lessons. So during K year we did:

Phonics/Reading: A few Hooked on Phonics lessons to cover what 100 Lessons doesn't teach (but DS hated HOP). Then read books he liked (2 Magic Tree House books, a junior version of Treasure Island, etc). With my second, who will be 4 this fall, we'll add 5-in-a Row. I finally bought the books and can't wait to get started.

Math: Floundered here a bit, then went with Math U See Primer. We'll do Alpha next year.

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting K. We did half a page a day or so, and only did the letter practice at the front. We'll do the rest of the book in 1st and then manuscript in 2nd. During Pre-K we did a lot of printable sheets from http://www.first-school.ws/preschool/printable-activities/index.htm My son especially liked the mini-books. I will use these again this year with my 4 year old (also going to do the Jan Brett pages mentioned here! Didn't know about those).

Science: This was extra this year. We had a couple videos we watches, but really we did it through books on scientific things and LOTS of visits to children's museums. (I think we visited at least 7 different ones, and a couple more than once this year). Oh, and lots of Jonathan Park cds! I think he's listened to all the sets about 50 times. You know he's catching things when he asks, "Mom, what's a fulgarite?" and then tells me the answer himself!

Bible: My husband heads this up with family devotions. We don't add it as part of home school per se. We've been using My First Book of Questions and Answers over the years, as well as our own collection of hymns, and memory verse sections. My husband also reads to them for a couple minutes after lights out from books like Children's Pilgrim's Progress, Sammy and His Shepherd, How God Stopped the Pirates collection, and Duncan's War/King's

Arrow.

Thanks to everyone who has been responding! It is helpful to me. I wish I'd found these boards a year ago!

Reading - Recipe for Reading/Happy Phonics...and whatever books we may find.

Writing - handwriting/copywork following on the heels of Recipe for Reading.

Math - Miquon/MEP

Following along with big brother and sister in everything else.

Our school year runs with the calendar so we are halfway through. DD only turned 5 in May though.

We are pretty relaxed and only do these when DD is interested. We are using:

Etc 2.5

Reading Eggs

Mama made copy work - only 1 sentence and sometimes even jut one word

SM 1B

Miquon Orange

Family Math

Mathletics

Mindware Addition Adventures

BFSU

Magic school bus (we have about 25 books & DD has watched every video we can find online)

Skwirk ( online, we mainly use it for geography & Australian history)

Song School Latin (only VERY occasionally)

We're using:

Oak Meadow Kindergarten Syllabus (Waldorf-inspired, hands on, gentle)

Oak Meadow First Book Of Crafts

Oak Meadow A First Book Of Fairy Tales.

It's not overly academic in the earliest years. Nature, stories, drawings, craft, music and movement, upper case letters of the alphabet in hands on ways (i.e. drawing in dirt with a stick, finding it in nature), etc.

Planning on starting our 2011-12 school year in August. My 5yo will start Kindy with us... planning on doing...

AAR pre-level 1

Math Lessons for a Living Education book 1

HWOT Kindergarten- letters and numbers for me

SCM Outdoor Secrets/Outdoor Secrets companion

Scripture memory through Awana

lots of reading aloud

and will be joining in with big sister (7) for poetry reading (we're studying Robert Lewis Stevenson) artist study (haven't planned which artists we'll study), manners (using Everyday Graces), composer study (haven't planned which composers we'll study) and Hymn study (Hymns for a Kid's Heart)

I'm excited :D