Menu

Does diagramming sentences exist in other languages?

Technically it doesn't in Auslan. But there's a way of parsing English sentences in an Auslaney way, but only textbooks remember how. Oh bummer. Now I'm going to have to go look through my books to find out. Curiosity is biting me. Ah, glossing. But I can't find a decent example to share. Oh well, you weren't asking about that so it doesn't matter anyway.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

You mean diagramming in which you *draw* the relationship between the different parts of a sentence? No, noone has ever heard of it in the Netherlands.

We do learn grammar (well, at least we used to learn grammar) and we do analyse sentences, but no diagramming!

You mean diagramming in which you *draw* the relationship between the different parts of a sentence? No, noone has ever heard of it in the Netherlands.

We do learn grammar (well, at least we used to learn grammar) and we do analyse sentences, but no diagramming!

Hey Tress,

Just a thought, but do you know anyone say... 80 or so that you could ask? I looked it up, and there looks like some diagramming might have been done. I'm just asking for fun... I am wondering if it's like here in America, where certain practices are... and then fade as they're thought of as "not fun" or "not important".... It'd be fun to hear if in the much older generations, they had to diagram :)

Hi Carrie,

My parents are both 75yo and they have never heard of it. My father had a very good, classical education and my mother used to be an elementary school teacher and taught her students lots of grammar but no diagramming. The next time we visit my husband's grandmother (she is 96yo) I will ask her, maybe she knows what it is.

Same for Germany.

No, not in Germany...

I had what I would consider a "rigorous classical education":D and never came across diagramming...

The lady who comes and checks on our hsing (herself a high-school French teacher) here in Switzerland, told me that diagramming was shortly used in the past...and since discarded...

I use it from time to time in French, as it helps the kids to see the similarities with English...

Same for Germany.

Same for France

no diagramming here either. I have never seen it before homeschooling. We do analyse sentences but it's more like the 4 levels of MCT. On average, a French student will do more grammatical analysis (we don't call it grammar - that's a different beast) than the average English student, because it's so central to proper French writing.

I studied Dutch, French, English, and Latin in Belgium but never did we diagram. We did analyze sentences, but did not draw a diagram. Colorful pens were our best friends!

yes! We had a colour code and fancy arrows, underlining, double underlining, circling, boxing... But no diagramming

yes! We had a colour code and fancy arrows, underlining, double underlining, circling, boxing... But no diagramming

I went through just about every scheme imaginable, LOL.

I do grammatical analyses via typical underlining and/or arrows or just listing what we have there for each item. For example, bella would be underlined / circled and AGG would be written above it, or, if we did do a more thorough analysis, each word would be written and then specified, e.g. bella = aggettivo qualificativo, singolare, femminile; primitivo; di grado positivo.

Syntactic analyses I can do via "trees" or in a similar fashion to the above: the principal clauses would be underlined and marked as such above, subordinate clauses would be marked too (also whether they are I° / II° / ecc. grado), words which introduce them would be circled and the type of the clause would be specified. If we did a more thorough analysis, each of the sentence would also be parced for multiple syntactic units - or the "tree" method.

I never actually do the diagramming of the type that is usually done by people on these boards, but I did encounter it - it was just a rarity, as the above approaches are equally clear, but less a pain. :lol: