Menu

If your kids were studying Am. history next year, what would YOU read now?

Read the Declaration of Independence. Read the documents that made our history if you really want to learn American History. I love love love American history especially the very beginning. My author picks are Joseph Ellis, David McCullogh, Ron Chernow to name a few.

But if you are not inclined to read these indepth novels then get a basic AH book from the library that broadly covers everything and borrow history videos. Sometimes reading a children's book is an easy way to get a clear and concise version of something new.

There are so many great books out there, choose what catches your eye.

I am reading the National Geographic Almanac of American History (which my 7th grader will use). It is pretty accessible without being boring or overly complicated. That helps, because I am also reading a lot of deeper American literature and the WTM recs to prepare for that part!

I bought a college American history textbook to read through, but I am finding the NG Almanac to be more than enough to refresh my knowledge bank for the period with my three.

I signed up at Audible.com to get a free copy of Word of Promise (97 hours of fully dramatized NKJV by famous actors). They have audio of The Story of Us that I am thinking of listening to. If I keep my $15.00 a month subscription, I'll get one free volume a month.

My post trauma stuff makes it hard for me not to get nervous on the trains and buses. It helps to have something "important" to listen to, to distract me from all the people. Learning feels empowering. It helps to feel empowered when I'm feeling so bad and small and...

Anyway...I'm thinking of listening to The Story of Us :-0