Menu

can anyone tell me about borderline personality disorder?

:grouphug:

What led to the diagnosis? It is unusual to diagnose personality disorders in adolescents due to their rapid development and hormonal shifts. BPD is an extremely serious personality disorder that has a poor prognosis overall. I'm sorry if I am not more encouraging. What kind of therapy/treatment is being recommended?

There is a lot of argument as to whether borderline personality can be dx in teens. The characteristics themselves (rather than the intensity) are fairly typical of 14 year old girls! The remission rates are much higher in teens than they are in adults dx with it. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is the gold standard for treatment, I believe. :grouphug: I'm sorry. It's a hard disorder for everyone involved. I assume other conditions such as bipolar disorder were looked into? I might be tempted to seek a second opinion.

ETA: I just realized that she is gifted.... I wonder if the person who dx her has much experience in gifted adolescents and the intensity that characterizes extreme giftedness?

Edited by Terabith

I'm rather surprised at that diagnosis in a teen as well. My mother-in-law just received that diagnosis and is in her 50s. They spent years ruling out everything else before handing out that label because of the connotations that it carries. I don't have any advice other than if that is the true diagnosis, you are in for a long haul. I don't mean to be negative, either, but I've dealt with my MIL for the past 11 years and heard DH's stories of his childhood. It's tough. Sounds like you need some :grouphug:

Could you look into getting a second opinion? I was mis-diagnosed BPD as a teen-young adult. Many problems could have been avoided if I had a professional that understood highly gifted teens! You might be dealing with BPD, but then again you might be dealing with something more manageable. You can PM me if you like. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

What led to the diagnosis? It is unusual to diagnose personality disorders in adolescents due to their rapid development and hormonal shifts. BPD is an extremely serious personality disorder that has a poor prognosis overall. I'm sorry if I am not more encouraging. What kind of therapy/treatment is being recommended?

It's been long journey since she was 4. I've heard everything from ADHD, bipolar, Aspergers, ODD,... When she turned 15 things heated up. She spent over 2 months in an inpatient hospital before going to treatment facility in TX which after the most extensive testing she's ever had are saying 'emerging' borderline.

There is a lot of argument as to whether borderline personality can be dx in teens. The characteristics themselves (rather than the intensity) are fairly typical of 14 year old girls! The remission rates are much higher in teens than they are in adults dx with it. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is the gold standard for treatment, I believe. :grouphug: I'm sorry. It's a hard disorder for everyone involved. I assume other conditions such as bipolar disorder were looked into? I might be tempted to seek a second opinion.

ETA: I just realized that she is gifted.... I wonder if the person who dx her has much experience in gifted adolescents and the intensity that characterizes extreme giftedness?

This is the 3rd/4th opinion. The more it's described to me the more It appears to fit better than any of the other suggestions over the years.

I don't know much about DBT other than google searches indicate there is no one offering it in my area.

DD has a high IQ but her thought patterns and emotions make learning/school just impossible for her right now.

I'm rather surprised at that diagnosis in a teen as well. My mother-in-law just received that diagnosis and is in her 50s. They spent years ruling out everything else before handing out that label because of the connotations that it carries. I don't have any advice other than if that is the true diagnosis, you are in for a long haul. I don't mean to be negative, either, but I've dealt with my MIL for the past 11 years and heard DH's stories of his childhood. It's tough. Sounds like you need some :grouphug:

Well, the more I learn the more I think my own mother may also fit the criteria. Even more frightening is the possibility that I may as well. :confused:

So you asked for stories. I'll tell you this story, but please don't think that your dd will end up like this!

I have a dear friend whose dh is Borderline. She's had a very rough time of it, and after 14 years of marriage they are now living in separate homes. She does not believe in divorce, but he just could not change and it has damaged her and their children. How it played out for him was that he sees his wife as the enemy and his mother as his saviour. My friend is an amazing wife, she literally served him for 14 years out of love and selflessness. He could only see that it was all a trap, that she was out to get him with manipulation. He never told her he loved her, never bought her any card or gift ever, just demeaned her and threw her food on the floor on a weekly basis. From what their psychologist said, this is completely normal; to have one person seen (falsely) as the mortal enemy, and one as their hero. Everyone else in his life (except his children) sees him as a very put together intellect. I've had very deep conversations with him. He knows all the right words to say to put out an admirable facade of character. But those closest to him (in his home) see it otherwise. Nothing pleases the man. The man who demanded his 7 yr old dd pay him $5 for gas money to drive her to get a surprise Mother's Day gift when all she had was $5.50. :glare: He has a great career, is esteemed in the community, but very selfish in his home. Selfish isn't even the right word. He's incapable of thinking of others and how his words hurt.

I do hope you can get another dx. I hope the others are right and that it's something else or just her personality. :grouphug:

So you asked for stories. I'll tell you this story, but please don't think that your dd will end up like this!

I have a dear friend whose dh is Borderline. She's had a very rough time of it, and after 14 years of marriage they are now living in separate homes. She does not believe in divorce, but he just could not change and it has damaged her and their children. How it played out for him was that he sees his wife as the enemy and his mother as his saviour. My friend is an amazing wife, she literally served him for 14 years out of love and selflessness. He could only see that it was all a trap, that she was out to get him with manipulation. He never told her he loved her, never bought her any card or gift ever, just demeaned her and threw her food on the floor on a weekly basis. From what their psychologist said, this is completely normal; to have one person seen (falsely) as the mortal enemy, and one as their hero. Everyone else in his life (except his children) sees him as a very put together intellect. I've had very deep conversations with him. He knows all the right words to say to put out an admirable facade of character. But those closest to him (in his home) see it otherwise. Nothing pleases the man. The man who demanded his 7 yr old dd pay him $5 for gas money to drive her to get a surprise Mother's Day gift when all she had was $5.50. :glare: He has a great career, is esteemed in the community, but very selfish in his home. Selfish isn't even the right word. He's incapable of thinking of others and how his words hurt.

I do hope you can get another dx. I hope the others are right and that it's something else or just her personality. :grouphug:

It's very plain to see the vilian/hero all/nothing view with DD. Now that she is 15 and her actions and emotions are escalating I hope to find her the treatment so she can get to a better place. She's in a residential treatment center now. The insurance will cover 5 months but the treatment team there has better resources in terms of diagnostics and therapy/treatment than we could EVER find here.

In BPD anxiety can make you crazy. I feel that you are not a complete attention seeker & will be anxious. If people ignore me or leave me anxiety can make you act worse. How can I get rid of this without going to a medical center?

Edited by mas24546

In BPD anxiety can make you crazy.You will feel that you are not a complete attention seeker & you will be anxious. If people ignore me or leave me anxiety can make you act worse.

Well the above can have a photo of DD with it. Yet again my mother as well (along with myself). I guess I never (want to)look at all the isses in my family/life.

Well, the more I learn the more I think my own mother may also fit the criteria. Even more frightening is the possibility that I may as well. :confused:

It is scary and I understand that feeling well.

I have bipolar II disorder and I'm considered "borderline light". My therapist coined me with that term. I don't have the full blown disorder but I have many of the tendencies.

Like anything else, there can be a spectrum of sorts. My issues tend to center around a fear of abandonment, emotional ties, etc. I also tend to do the splitting thing, along with black and white thinking.

Be aware that as you read on the internet, those with BPD are pretty demonized. I'm not saying that some of it isn't warranted. But, just as with bipolar disorder, it can vary SO MUCH. I've had a successful career and raised an incredible child. I've had issues in personal relationships but have found a man that is truly my best friend and understands what I deal with. There are many high functioning borderlines that you would never guess dealt with it.

I have recently started DBT and it has changed my life. It is recommended for those with borderline personality disorder. I could provide some links if you like. It would be something that I would consider for your DD. Of course, the right therapist is crucial.

Good luck and feel free to PM me at any time.

Edited by YLVD

From what I understand from my therapist, this isn't the case. The hero/ enemy dynamic plays out with one person at a time.

For example, you can be in a place of adoring your spouse, he is the best guy in the world, etc. He can do one thing that challenges that notion and suddenly, he is the villian.

People with borderline personality disorder are unable to view that person as both at the same time. This is referred to as "splitting". I have issues with that. As can be expected, this is incredibly confusing for everyone involved.

I've learned in DBT how to logically reason my way out of splitting with my SO. But, the dynamic that was listed here sounds different than my experience with BPD.

From what I understand from my therapist, this isn't the case. The hero/ enemy dynamic plays out with one person at a time.

For example, you can be in a place of adoring your spouse, he is the best guy in the world, etc. He can do one thing that challenges that notion and suddenly, he is the villian.

People with borderline personality disorder are unable to view that person as both at the same time. This is referred to as "splitting". I have issues with that. As can be expected, this is incredibly confusing for everyone involved.

I've learned in DBT how to logically reason my way out of splitting with my SO. But, the dynamic that was listed here sounds different than my experience with BPD.

My MIL does this. At various times just since I've known her, her first husband, her second husband, and one of her sons have been 'the enemy,' and she's never managed to hold down a job for more than a few months because jobs/bosses/The Man are 'the enemy,' too. Just last month, she finally accepted the fact that she needs help (she has a boyfriend of three years whom she adores and who was able to talk her into this) and is getting proper therapy. It's already helping her immensely. She says it's one of the hardest things she's ever done, to talk honestly about all the problems with someone, but she's even started going to group sessions. It's been a long road, complete with suicide attempts, denial of all problems whatsoever, and a lot of questionable behavior that most of us have learned to live with/overlook, but it's been wonderful to see her get help, and I hope she can stick with it. For all her faults, though, she's got four sons who love her, a mom who has put up with it all and still stuck around, and she dotes on my kids more than any of my grandparents ever doted on me and my sister. The love, intelligence, and abilities are in your daughter somewhere; I hope you're able to find a way to get them out!

Oh, just as an aside, watch for fibromyalgia symptoms. It can be associated with BPD and since many BPD patients can be somewhat hypochondriac to begin with (my MIL included), it can go overlooked for a long time. Willing to bet you already knew that, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

More :grouphug: to you!!

My MIL does this. At various times just since I've known her, her first husband, her second husband, and one of her sons have been 'the enemy,' and she's never managed to hold down a job for more than a few months because jobs/bosses/The Man are 'the enemy,' too. Just last month, she finally accepted the fact that she needs help (she has a boyfriend of three years whom she adores and who was able to talk her into this) and is getting proper therapy. It's already helping her immensely. She says it's one of the hardest things she's ever done, to talk honestly about all the problems with someone, but she's even started going to group sessions. It's been a long road, complete with suicide attempts, denial of all problems whatsoever, and a lot of questionable behavior that most of us have learned to live with/overlook, but it's been wonderful to see her get help, and I hope she can stick with it. For all her faults, though, she's got four sons who love her, a mom who has put up with it all and still stuck around, and she dotes on my kids more than any of my grandparents ever doted on me and my sister. The love, intelligence, and abilities are in your daughter somewhere; I hope you're able to find a way to get them out!

Oh, just as an aside, watch for fibromyalgia symptoms. It can be associated with BPD and since many BPD patients can be somewhat hypochondriac to begin with (my MIL included), it can go overlooked for a long time. Willing to bet you already knew that, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

More :grouphug: to you!!

I'm glad that she is getting the proper therapy. I don't even have the full blown disorder and yet the proper therapy, and proper therapist, have changed my life. It is also one of THE hardest things I have done. Basically it means changing your viewpoints and reactions to everything.

Luckily, it has come fairly easy to me. I'm a bit overly logical sometimes, lol and that helps me.

Anyways, great and positive post.

DD was just dx'ed and I'm looking for ANY information or experiences.

thanks!

What do you want to know. I just did a 15 page paper for my psychopathology class on BPD and I have been wrongly diagnosed with it. But, I have helped counsel two people with the disorder. It is not typically diagnosed correctly until after the age of 21 or so.

That isn't BPD. That's NPD.

a

What do you want to know. I just did a 15 page paper for my psychopathology class on BPD and I have been wrongly diagnosed with it. But, I have helped counsel two people with the disorder. It is not typically diagnosed correctly until after the age of 21 or so.

Exactly.

There is an old saying: BPDs are made, not born.

Unless something significant has happened in your child's life (abuse, abandonment, etc.) that could lead to a fracturing of her personality - because that is what BPD is - a fracture (not a break - that would be MPD) in a personality, IMO, those Tdocs are talking out their @sses.

Tdocs like to label women (yes, women, men RARELY get the Dx) with BPD whenever the come up against someone who is obstinate and does not neatly fit into a diagnostic box. Which, oh, is most of the time.

The sad thing is, the original definition of BPD was meant to be borderline psychosis, not personality. As in, someone who didn't quite meet the criteria for being psychotic; they were on the borderline. That isn't the definition anymore. Borderline psychosis (variation of bipolar) can be treated with medicine and therapy. Borderline personality is treated with therapy and sometimes can be 'smoothed over' with medicine until the therapy takes hold.

Someone needs to do a - oh I can't remember the term - but it is a kind of chart review - of your daughter's history. It is where they lay out all of the records from over the years and look at how each of the diagnoses was arrived at.

ADHD is pretty easy to detect, and it is well known that it is PART of Aspergers. Aspergers and Bipolar are often comorbid (not always, and not always 'truly' - what happens is that the symptoms of bipolar are there due to the frustrations and intensity of Aspergers so it gets labeled bipolar). Ditto for ODD. When you're stuck in your own head, and it NEVER. STOPS. RUNNING. And people are constantly telling you that you're talking too much, that you need to stop this or that, etc. - Guess what? You get really, really DEFIANT.

The next thing you know, you're a borderline! Woo Hoo! Party! And you can never get the bleeding Dx off of your record! And every time you go to the doctor for something as simple as a cut toe, they won't believe you, because, after all, you're CRAZY.

Yes, Borderlines are considered the CRAZY of the crazy by doctors. Why? Because they are viewed as unpredictable. And unmedicate-able. And non-compliant. Whether or not the diagnosis is correct, they are predictable, or compliant.

Fifteen years old? Uh-uh.

asta

Exactly.

There is an old saying: BPDs are made, not born.

Unless something significant has happened in your child's life (abuse, abandonment, etc.) that could lead to a fracturing of her personality - because that is what BPD is - a fracture (not a break - that would be MPD) in a personality, IMO, those Tdocs are talking out their @sses.

Tdocs like to label women (yes, women, men RARELY get the Dx) with BPD whenever the come up against someone who is obstinate and does not neatly fit into a diagnostic box. Which, oh, is most of the time.

The sad thing is, the original definition of BPD was meant to be borderline psychosis, not personality. As in, someone who didn't quite meet the criteria for being psychotic; they were on the borderline. That isn't the definition anymore. Borderline psychosis (variation of bipolar) can be treated with medicine and therapy. Borderline personality is treated with therapy and sometimes can be 'smoothed over' with medicine until the therapy takes hold.

Someone needs to do a - oh I can't remember the term - but it is a kind of chart review - of your daughter's history. It is where they lay out all of the records from over the years and look at how each of the diagnoses was arrived at.

ADHD is pretty easy to detect, and it is well known that it is PART of Aspergers. Aspergers and Bipolar are often comorbid (not always, and not always 'truly' - what happens is that the symptoms of bipolar are there due to the frustrations and intensity of Aspergers so it gets labeled bipolar). Ditto for ODD. When you're stuck in your own head, and it NEVER. STOPS. RUNNING. And people are constantly telling you that you're talking too much, that you need to stop this or that, etc. - Guess what? You get really, really DEFIANT.

The next thing you know, you're a borderline! Woo Hoo! Party! And you can never get the bleeding Dx off of your record! And every time you go to the doctor for something as simple as a cut toe, they won't believe you, because, after all, you're CRAZY.

Yes, Borderlines are considered the CRAZY of the crazy by doctors. Why? Because they are viewed as unpredictable. And unmedicate-able. And non-compliant. Whether or not the diagnosis is correct, they are predictable, or compliant.

asta

I have Dissociative Identity Disorder and it's not called MPD anymore. It's a totally different disorder than BPD. And I don't believe in diagnosing someone before 21 or so, it's just not good practice.

Edited by Mosaicmind

I have Dissociative Identity Disorder and it's not called MPD anymore. It's a totally different disorder than BPD. And I don't believe in diagnosing someone before 21 or so, it's just not good practice.

Sorry about that - I was typing fast. I know it's now classified as DID, but I just start PDing and keep going...

a

That isn't BPD. That's NPD.

a

:iagree:

I won't quote the other post for brevity, but I agree with asta. Many psychs seem bent on diagnosing the worst possible disorder in people rather than the most obvious. I have heard MDs quote, "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras!" I think some psychs need to take that under advisement.

I'll also say that ADHD, especially in adults, gets misdiagnosed alot. I was diagnosed Bipolar years ago, when in reality I had postpartum depression and ADHD. The frustration my 10yo felt with his ADHD came out as rage rather than hyperactivity - a less knowledgeable psych could have labeled him ODD.

ETA: Someone close to me was diagnosed DID about 10 years ago. She had some sort of light therapy (?) and it went away almost entirely.

Psychology in general is less than exact in diagnosis, at least how it plays out in practice. The DSM-IV lays out the criteria fairly well, but it seems not to be used to diagnose!

:iagree:

I won't quote the other post for brevity, but I agree with asta. Many psychs seem bent on diagnosing the worst possible disorder in people rather than the most obvious. I have heard MDs quote, "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras!" I think some psychs need to take that under advisement.

I'll also say that ADHD, especially in adults, gets misdiagnosed alot. I was diagnosed Bipolar years ago, when in reality I had postpartum depression and ADHD. The frustration my 10yo felt with his ADHD came out as rage rather than hyperactivity - a less knowledgeable psych could have labeled him ODD.

ETA: Someone close to me was diagnosed DID about 10 years ago. She had some sort of light therapy (?) and it went away almost entirely.

Psychology in general is less than exact in diagnosis, at least how it plays out in practice. The DSM-IV lays out the criteria fairly well, but it seems not to be used to diagnose!

I would wonder if she TRULY had DID in the first place. DID is the result of extreme abuse lasting over the course of years. It creates "parts" of a person to be created who have to resolve these memories of abuse before they will merge or integrate with the person.

I am not wanting to debate this with you, I am just taken aback by this and would wonder if she really has/had DID.

I would wonder if she TRULY had DID in the first place. DID is the result of extreme abuse lasting over the course of years. It creates "parts" of a person to be created who have to resolve these memories of abuse before they will merge or integrate with the person.

I am not wanting to debate this with you, I am just taken aback by this and would wonder if she really has/had DID.

I think Renee put that comment in there as an example of how some psych professionals are prone to jump to the worst possible conclusion without truly examining the whole history. It should be obvious to even the casual armchair psychologist that relief of symptoms with light therapy begs for a different diagnosis.

Some medical & educational professionals are so prone to not accepting that there MAY be a serious problem that they refuse to look at the evidence for something that's less common & more serious. Others seem to bend over backwards to assume the worst possible diagnosis AND assume that the diagnosis of something serious inevitably means a horrible prognosis for the future. Being able to sift through details and work with the many pieces of evidence that emerge until clear patterns can be noted is tedious work. In this day of managed care and big-box style education, few professionals can or are willing to make the time it takes to deal with complex cases.

She most certainly did have two distinct personalities. The extreme abuse was present in the form of 2 physically and mentally abusive alcoholic parents. She cannot have things be dark in her house to this day - she will NOT allow curtains to be closed ever. Her "other self" was a 3 year old.

The light therapy was not the only thing - she received therapy for a very long time and was medicated (and still is.) So many different things were tried that sometimes I wonder if her current Multiple Sclerosis was caused by some of the treatments she received.

I cannot find anything on google about the light therapy - that is how it was described to me was something about pulsing lights, but my understanding may be way off. It wasn't something simple like a light box - it was much more than that. I shouldn't have said anything about it because it wasn't really related to what I was saying, but rather an aside based on the DID comment. I am not going to ask her, that is for sure!

Edited by Renee in FL

She most certainly did have two distinct personalities. The extreme abuse was present in the form of 2 physically and mentally abusive alcoholic parents. She cannot have things be dark in her house to this day - she will NOT allow curtains to be closed ever. Her "other self" was a 3 year old.

The light therapy was not the only thing - she received therapy for a very long time and was medicated (and still is.) So many different things were tried that sometimes I wonder if her current Multiple Sclerosis was caused by some of the treatments she received.

I cannot find anything on google about the light therapy - that is how it was described to me was something about pulsing lights, but my understanding may be way off. It wasn't something simple like a light box - it was much more than that. I shouldn't have said anything about it because it wasn't really related to what I was saying, but rather an aside based on the DID comment. I am not going to ask her, that is for sure!

For almost all people with DID, light therapy will make things worse. They used lights to program me and I can't look at a stop light without having flashbacks. The lights make switching worse and memories, flashbacks worse and come without being able to control them.

I have had 100's of different personalities but my abuse was much, much different than hers was.

Yes, Borderlines are considered the CRAZY of the crazy by doctors. Why? Because they are viewed as unpredictable. And unmedicate-able. And non-compliant.

asta

Aw shucks, you're gonna make me blush. :blush:

Seriously though, I was diagnosed when I was in my early twenties in the military, and I agree that anyone who tries to diagnose a fifteen-year-old girl with BPD doesn't know what the heck they're talking about.