Menu

Tapestry/Sonlight ?

When you buy TOG you buy that year plan for all your rotations from K-12th grade (each year plan has Lower Grammer, Upper Grammar, Dialetic and Rhetoric so you buy four year plans total). When you buy SL you are buying that year plan for that level only (so in theory you would buy 12-13 IG's).

With SL everything is laid out on the page for you to do, all the book choices are made for you. In TOG you have primary resources and alternative resources that can be used, you choose which and in how much depth.

Edited by melmichigan
additional thoughts

Really look at the layout of both programs. That alone may help you make somewhat of a decision. I've had friends who were extremely overwhelmed looking at my SL guide, while to me, it makes total sense. I've tried and tried to figure out TOG and I just can't. SL is more open and go, whereas TOG is not (from what I can tell).

I used SL for my boys in the first grade (level 1 or A now), and I thought it was kind of boring. However, I didn't realize at the time that I really should have gone down a level. Just because it said level 1 didn't mean it was for every 1st grader. So keep that in mind if you use SL (unless your kiddos are advanced....mine weren't!) And then for the next 4 years I went back and forth on whether to use TOG or SL, and every year I would end up putting something together myself because I couldn't make my mind up! So now that my boys are going into 6th grade, I decided it was time to buy something to make sure I wasn't leaving gaping holes! :001_huh: So, back and forth I went again between the two, but ultimately I decided on TOG. There were a couple of reasons why. I have one son who reads everything I throw at him (he would have loved SL), but then my other son pretty much despises any kind of reading and loves hands-on. I decided that TOG offered good reading choices for my one son and project options for my other son. Another reason I went with TOG was the 4 yr cycle through history. It just makes sense to me to study this way, and I couldn't get past that with SL. I also like that I can re-use TOG in the higher grades (we're starting yr 3--that's where we were on our own cycle through history), and I can get the curriculum updated since I bought the DE. I also like that since my one son (they're twins but completely opposite!) loves to read and is much higher in reading level, I can bump him up on literature and leave my other son where he needs to be without having to buy 2 seperate curricula. I ordered the first unit and I am extremely pleased with what I am seeing. I do not find it to be extremely confusing; however I have been modeling our schedule after their samples for the past couple of years, so that might be why it doesn't seem overwhelming to me. It is a REALLY big curriculum though...you just have to print the sample out and read through them a few times to get a good feel for it. After a while, it all makes sense! I am extremely excited about starting it in a few weeks...can't wait!!

Anyhow, I don't think you can go wrong either way. It just depends on what you're looking for.... Oh yeah, one more thing, if you like to tweek and try different things, then I think you'll be happier with TOG. If you like to buy your curriculum and not think about changing anything, then you'll be happier with SL. TOG gives you several options every week on what to use where SL lays everything out day by day for you. Again...depends on how you like to do things!

Hope this helps...somehow... :tongue_smilie:

Holly in KY

Mama to 11yo twin boys :cool::cool:

TOG'ers

We switched from sunlight. I just wasn't using the IG because it wasn't a good fit. Most of the books I can get at library. It lacked the hands on activity ds wanted. However, I love love the book choices. So this year we will be doing TOG and reading the sunlight lit books as we find time and get to them. We will have our hands on history with so much more and option to add in great literature. Plus when I have 4 children in different levels we will be on same history rather than on two cores with combining we would have with SL. Hths!

I have not used SL, but here is what I understand about the big differences:

SL

• Does not follow the traditional classical 4-yr history cycle
  • Uses historical fiction heavily in the teaching of history
  • Relies heavily on read-alouds
  • There is a different curriculum for each year
  • Has a daily checklist of things to do

TOG

• Designed for easy use with multiple children (though many use it with a single child quite happily)
  • Follows the traditional classical 4-yr history cycle
  • Relies more on historical texts and biographies for history; lighter on the historical fiction
  • Has a weekly list of options, requiring the parent-teacher to turn that into a daily assignment list.
  • Encourages independent work from students
  • Uses the Socratic method in the higher levels
  • Has more hands-on activities at the younger levels
  • Has the reputation for rigor, but does not have to be rigorous

I don't think that one is better than another. It just depends on your teaching style, your kids' learning styles, and the needs and goals of your family.

I have not used SL, but here is what I understand about the big differences:

SL

• Does not follow the traditional classical 4-yr history cycle

• Uses historical fiction heavily in the teaching of history

• Relies heavily on read-alouds

• There is a different curriculum for each year

• Has a daily checklist of things to do

TOG

• Designed for easy use with multiple children (though many use it with a single child quite happily)

• Follows the traditional classical 4-yr history cycle

• Relies more on historical texts and biographies for history; lighter on the historical fiction

• Has a weekly list of options, requiring the parent-teacher to turn that into a daily assignment list.

• Encourages independent work from students

• Uses the Socratic method in the higher levels

• Has more hands-on activities at the younger levels

• Has the reputation for rigor, but does not have to be rigorous

I don't think that one is better than another. It just depends on your teaching style, your kids' learning styles, and the needs and goals of your family.

That is a great description on the differences!

I looked at both TOG yr one and then Sonlight history level B I think it is. Both take history from start to the fall of Rome. Can anyone give any insight to which may be better?

No, no one can tell you that. That'd be too easy.;) We can tell you which we prefer, but ultimately you need to decide which is best for you. I'm a long-time (11 years) Sonlight user, and while I appreciate what TOG has to offer, it simply doesn't appeal to me. On the other hand, many will say just the reverse. The opinions you receive will of course be colored by our preferences. (Case in point, I would phrase differently the descriptions in tracymirko's post above.:)) Perhaps it's best if you examine each program and pose specific questions here.

My sis-in-law has used both and said the books are mostly the same but the fact that ToG was so parent intensive with the planning just about did her in. SL gives you the pages to read, ToG, you have to figure all that out. That's enough for me. I don't have time to divide every book up and decide how long each should take.

I used Sonlight for Cores K-5 and loved it! Now I am using TOG. I agree with much of what has been said in contrasting the two curriculums. The main reason that I switched is that I want to keep all of my children (ages 5-13) together and I didn't want to use two cores of SL. I know many people do it, but I tried it and I just didn't like it.

TOG is more teacher intensive, but I wanted that and the greater depth of the curriculum moving into the high school years. I also liked the 4 year chronological cycle of TOG.

Another curriculum that I strongly considered was Biblioplan. It was more open-and-go like SL, but combined all ages in one guide like TOG. Really, they're all great options.

We use SL and I also own the Y1U1 of TOG. Honestly, though I love the whole TOG concept, I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off in the teacher-planning department. SL is definitely more open-and-go and FOR ME, I like the reading selections a bit better - they are more fun to read aloud in some cases. I do think TOG has better Bible integration, but it does require a lot more from the parent, and I'm not sure if my organizational skills are up to snuff.

No, no one can tell you that. That'd be too easy.;) We can tell you which we prefer, but ultimately you need to decide which is best for you. I'm a long-time (11 years) Sonlight user, and while I appreciate what TOG has to offer, it simply doesn't appeal to me. On the other hand, many will say just the reverse. The opinions you receive will of course be colored by our preferences. (Case in point, I would phrase differently the descriptions in tracymirko's post above.:)) Perhaps it's best if you examine each program and pose specific questions here.

:iagree:

We have used SL for nine years. No plans to switch.