Menu

Choosing a major, why is it so hard?

What on earth am should I do about my career choice!? It seems a lot of young adults that are going to be entering college or are already in college are struggling with choosing a career. Most of them are worried about the money they will be making and what to do if they don't make enough. This is what I am very worried about, I don't have the kind of money to waste on a degree that won't be helpful to me in the long run. There are so many people coming out of school with a master's degree and they are working in fast food restuarants because no one will hire them! I am worried that this may happen to me if I choose an overly crowded field. But I don't know what I want to major in!!!! Here is my list of what I wanted to do and might be interested in still doing:

I love music and I work with special needs kids already, so I thought why not combine the two and become a music therapist? Well it seems I don't have enough experience in the music field to become one. But this still isn't off my list yet, I could bring myself up to that point and still be able to major in music therapy.

I like to take care of kids, (six brothers and sisters) and I thought maybe becoming a pediatric nurse would be a great idea, but I don't meet the requirements for that because I am not so good at math.:tongue_smilie:

Then there is biology, I like biology a lot but what can you major in with a biology major?

Photography and history are a big favorite as well, I like the American Revolution and in photography I love to capture pictures not just of people posing, but what they do and of nature.

I want to do so many things that it just confuses me sometimes, I know I don't have to pick just one career, but my parents would like to pick something so that I have an idea of what I will say to the colleges I am going to be visiting soon. I don't want to just pick any old major, I want it to be something great or close to it. I would like to someday homeschool my own kids so that is something that I have to take into consideration as well. But if I have to support myself for a little bit then I also want to be able to do it.

Music plays a big part of my life, so I will do something music in college if I don't major in music therapy, but I just don't know what to do. I can't afford to lose money on a degree and I won't be going to college with an undecided major. To me that just seems pointless and a waste of good money. I know I have posted before on this topic, but I added some more detail to help get to the point of why I need help. Hopefully this will work better:D.

Does this make sense?

Advice is greatly needed here please!!:bigear:

I can't afford to lose money on a degree and I won't be going to college with an undecided major. To me that just seems pointless and a waste of good money. I know I have posted before on this topic, but I added some more detail to help get to the point of why I need help. Hopefully this will work better:D.

This is not necessarily true. If you can get it narrowed down to between a few things (like maybe music OR biology, or music OR history, something like that) it would be absolutely possible to design your first two years so that you can choose either. (For example, first semester, take music theory/applied music of your choice, biology, chemistry, and american history.)

Also, I changed my major several times at university (from agriculture, to a modern language, to chemistry, to math) -- picking something now has no guarantee that you'll keep it. Whatever you do, don't narrow your choices too early. Even after you pick something, (since you're unsure), pick and do the fun gen eds early in your program so that if you change your mind, you'll be able to complete the requirements with a minimum of fuss.

I went to school for 1 semester straight out of high school, failed b/c the school was a bad fit, and didn't go back for almost 3 yrs.

I changed my major 3 times. From International Relations, to Psychology, to Religious Studies.

I ended up majoring in something that felt right. I did initially try the "need to get a degree that will help me make money" route, but found I had a really hard time going to classes and doing the work b/c it wasn't necessarily a passion. Interesting, but not something I was devoted to. B/c I was paying for college by myself, I decided to throw it all to the wind and major in something that held my attention. On the surface, it is a worthless degree, but it helped me get a job as an Immigration Officer.

In short, things will fall into place. Things always fall into place IME.

I agree that you should broadly plan your first 2 yrs to encompass your interests, and then focus when you have a better feel for it. And you never know, what you want to do now could be completely different from what you want to do after going to college for 2 yrs.

I think job-shadowing is a great way to find out what you DON'T want to do. That is what the hsing community around here tells people, and my dh has a HS dc shadow him at least once a month.

Have you looked online at the cost of each of your career choices and measured them against the average pay scale in your area upon graduation, and the need(or projected need) of each one?

I would not limit yourself to something right now just because you aren't good at it at this time in your life, or don't have enough experience. My dd is struggling with math right now, and is thinking she wants to be a Pediatric nurse-a WTMer that is a nurse told me she didn't take high level math and if she did she was in college. (I think I got that right.:D)

I have a niece who is majoring in Biology and plans to get a masters in nursing.

I do think it is wise to consider a career that will allow you to hold flexible hours if you want to be at home with your kids. All of the things you are considering fit that.

Good luck!!:grouphug:

Also, I changed my major several times at university (from agriculture, to a modern language, to chemistry, to math) -- picking something now has no guarantee that you'll keep it. Whatever you do, don't narrow your choices too early. Even after you pick something, (since you're unsure), pick and do the fun gen eds early in your program so that if you change your mind, you'll be able to complete the requirements with a minimum of fuss.

Yep, I also changed my major several times.

Electronics engineering to bioengineering, to elementary education (middle school science and math), to psychology.

Finally got a B.S. in Psychology with intent to go for a masters degree in rehabilitation psychology or career guidance. Which is hilarious since I still can't decide what I want to do for a career-LOL.

… I don't have the kind of money to waste on a degree that won't be helpful to me in the long run. …

You are very.smart to be thinking about these issues.

… But I don't know what I want to major in

That’s ok – you really have some time before you have to make a final decision.

I love music and I work with special needs kids already … Photography and history

Have you thought about education – with teaching fields in special ed or music or history (social studies) or art or biology? You might look into getting certified in 2 fields – probably make sure at least 1 of the fields is for a subject everyone takes (social studies, science, English, etc.).

… pediatric nurse would be a great idea, but I don't meet the requirements for that because I am not so good at math.

Have you thought about starting as an LVN / LPN or associate degree nurse? I just looked at the requirements at my local community college; the required math for associate degree RN was intermediate math (a remedial level – think high school level). At the local state university, calculus :eek: was required for the biology major. Also, can you bring up your math skills with hard work? Also, some hospitals pay tuition, etc. for LVNs and associate degree nurses to continue on to get their bachelor degrees.

… what can you major in with a biology major?

I work in a lab (blood testing) with many biology majors. Most do not like working there, but are unable to find anything else. It is very monotonous and routine – very much like working in a factory. The professional degree for this work is Medical Technology / Clinical Laboratory Science. (http://www.ascp.org/MainMenu/laboratoryprofessionals/CareerCenter.aspx)

… I won't be going to college with an undecided major. To me that just seems pointless and a waste of good money. …

I’m not sure I understand this. Aren’t the 1st 2 years getting the basics everyone gets, then by your junior year is when you are required to declare? Won’t you still have to have 3-4 semesters of English, 1-2 semesters math, etc. no matter what your major is? My local community college offers aptitude testing – something like that may help you narrow your choices.

Have you thought about obtaining an associates degree in a vocation (accounting, paralegal, surgical technology – I’m just mentioning some diverse fields – check out your local community college for their offerings) so that you can support yourself, and then continuing on to get your bachelors?

There is no need to worry and fret now. Just keep researching your options.

Best wishes.

Since I too went back to school at age 35 to be a Medical Assistant(couldnt get an MA job so work in hospital lab) life leads us where we know not! I tell my oldest girls to take basic courses at community college. You save ton of money on English Comp and you can transfer it to big or private colleges. On campus the friends you make will also be wondering on a specific career path. Network with them. I have 1 friend with 3 degrees. Albeit at local college but she paid outright for them and many courses never have to be taken again to keep the credits!

Bio degree-at our hospital a bio degree does not qualify to work in our lab except for specimen processing. But you could in the future transfer that degree into a nursing one at certain schools. You could sub teach also.

For music therapist-> have you thought of Occupational Therapist? My son is autistic and OTs are in high demand for children!!! fun, creativity, music and games etc.

Best wishes on your future,

Dawn

Edited by Momto4nmore

I went off to college not having a clue what I wanted to do! I got to my sophomore year still unsure, but after talking to a cousin of mine who went into Recreational Therapy (like music therapy but games, activities, physical activities, etc.) I thought that sounded interesting.

I shadowed her for a day where she worked in a nursing home and thought I could see myself doing that. My junior year I transferred to a different college that had the Rec.Therapy degree. The classes were ok, but I hated the college; it was so big and impersonal.

One day I overheard a girl in one of my classes telling someone about how she hated going to school there, but was only there for a semester and she was going back to her old college (which was the same one I'd transferred from!!) I spun around to meet her and we started talking. She was majoring in Outdoor Recreation and had to transfer out to pick up more recreation courses and then was going back.

I got really excited because the outdoor rec. degree sounded more interesting the the rec. therapy degree. Between the end of the semester classes and finals, I drove back to my former college, spoke with the professor who would be my advisor in that field, learned more about the program, went to see about getting back in, registered for classes, got a dorm room, went back and took my finals at the other college and moved back to my previous college.

I rambled on there, but the point is, finding one's major can be quite a journey! I also tried to do as much volunteer work in various areas to help me see if I liked working in that area or not. I learned a lot about what populations of people I liked working with too.

Take classes in your areas of interest. Volunteer where you can so you can see how you like different jobs or see if you can shadow people and talk to them. Take it one step at a time, be proactive and you'll get there! You'll meet people along the way you can learn a lot from and share ideas with.

Or you could do what a friend of mine did. She went to college to major in music. Got bad grades her first quarter so immediately decided to become an English education major instead. Became a teacher and hated it. Did daycare for a couple years and then went back to school to become a nurse.

Good luck!!

I have another point of view to offer.

I had lots of interests, ranging from opera singer over languages and history to math, but there were different reasons why I could/would not pursue many of them as a college major back then... so I ended up picking one subject I found interesting, physics. I went to university, majored in physics, gave it 100% and ended up loving it.

I can think of many other subjects I could have studied and enjoyed and become good at. There are always multiple ways, and for most people there is no ONE perfect choice. Sometimes one has to make a choice between options which all look similarly appealing and then just go for it without looking back, without regretting not having taken another path. I think the goals is to commit fully once you made a choice, and then see where it gets you. (I mention this specifically because lack of initial success is NOT a sign that one is not suited for a certain subject: I almost failed my first semester at the university and seriously doubted whether I was cut out to be a physicist - but as soon as I had found a study group and study skills, I started to excell in my classes. )

Your choice of major and field does not determine the exact nature of your kind of job - thre are always diferent kinds of work for people with the same qualifications. (I did research for several years, but am now solely teaching which suits my extrovert personality more than the research job)

Also, keep in mind that man pople will nt work in the same area all their lives and that you can still change your field at some later point.

Edited by regentrude

we have used a software package called Career Direct that help our kids quite a bit. It is a combination of personality test and aptitude test that then matches you up with ideas for careeers you might enjoy and how those careers would use you strengths.

http://www.careerdirectonline.org/learnMore/

The cost is $80, and we've found it to be worth the money invested. if that is too much for your wallet, maybe there is something similar but less expensive available through your local high school or community college.

The one caveat is that you need to always realize that it is just a tool and it will reflect what you tell it. :) When dh did something like that in his college years, because of the answers he gave since he was having the time of his life working summer camps between years of college, the test told him that he should become a forest ranger. :lol: In reality, dh is neither a sports nut nor truly outdoorsy person. You have to execercise some common sense.

we have used a software package called Career Direct that help our kids quite a bit. It is a combination of personality test and aptitude test that then matches you up with ideas for careeers you might enjoy and how those careers would use you strengths.

http://www.careerdirectonline.org/learnMore/

The cost is $80, and we've found it to be worth the money invested. if that is too much for your wallet, maybe there is something similar but less expensive available through your local high school or community college.

Our public library has a lot of info on careers -- data bases and web sites and programs like this. (They also bring in real, live career counselors on certain days.) There are also a lot of practice SAT and ACT tests and similar things. I didn't know about this until I searched the library site. It looks like they have a lot more than just books. (Ask a librarian if you can't find it yourself.)

There's also no reason you need to know exactly what you will major in right now to be able to tell colleges. Colleges know that most students don't know yet -- even if they say they do. Having more than one interest is a lot better than having no interest at all.

Just be forewarned that going into nursing may involve starting out in the first year with the science sequence. If you delay it, you may end up in college another year. So you might want to make that your default starting major if you're still considering it, just in case. At the very least, talk to someone in that department before planning your classes for the first year.

If you really want to go into nursing, don't let the difficulty of math stop you. You'll probably find that math gets a little clearer as you get older. However, you might want to consider whether the college you pick provides good math tutoring, or structures their math classes in a way that helps out students who aren't naturally gifted (which would be a lot of people). You may find that with the right assistance you can do just fine in math. A number of community colleges are very good with this sort of thing, and there are at least some 4 year colleges that have taken this on as a mission.

This is not necessarily true. If you can get it narrowed down to between a few things (like maybe music OR biology, or music OR history, something like that) it would be absolutely possible to design your first two years so that you can choose either. (For example, first semester, take music theory/applied music of your choice, biology, chemistry, and american history.)

I do like the idea of music and history together, they are both one of my top favorites so I might try this and like you said if it doesn't work out then try something else. College is sort of a trial and error time of life isn't it? I will try to narrow it down a bit more and give it some more effort.:)

You are very.smart to be thinking about these issues.

That’s ok – you really have some time before you have to make a final decision.

Have you thought about education – with teaching fields in special ed or music or history (social studies) or art or biology? You might look into getting certified in 2 fields – probably make sure at least 1 of the fields is for a subject everyone takes (social studies, science, English, etc.).

Have you thought about starting as an LVN / LPN or associate degree nurse? I just looked at the requirements at my local community college; the required math for associate degree RN was intermediate math (a remedial level – think high school level). At the local state university, calculus :eek: was required for the biology major. Also, can you bring up your math skills with hard work? Also, some hospitals pay tuition, etc. for LVNs and associate degree nurses to continue on to get their bachelor degrees.

I work in a lab (blood testing) with many biology majors. Most do not like working there, but are unable to find anything else. It is very monotonous and routine – very much like working in a factory. The professional degree for this work is Medical Technology / Clinical Laboratory Science. (http://www.ascp.org/MainMenu/laboratoryprofessionals/CareerCenter.aspx)

I’m not sure I understand this. Aren’t the 1st 2 years getting the basics everyone gets, then by your junior year is when you are required to declare? Won’t you still have to have 3-4 semesters of English, 1-2 semesters math, etc. no matter what your major is? My local community college offers aptitude testing – something like that may help you narrow your choices.

Have you thought about obtaining an associates degree in a vocation (accounting, paralegal, surgical technology – I’m just mentioning some diverse fields – check out your local community college for their offerings) so that you can support yourself, and then continuing on to get your bachelors?

There is no need to worry and fret now. Just keep researching your options.

Best wishes.

I actually had no idea about what you had to do your first two years of college, I thought you had to declare your major by sophomore year, I didn't know it was by junior year. I think getting an associate's degree is a good idea, especially for nursing so if I want to continue my education then I can while still supporting myself. My local CC has a good nursing program so I might check it out.

I am also going to be checking into special ed teaching, occupational therapy was reccommended to me but this was how I came across music therapy and fell in love with that.

I just need to remember to tell myself that this is only my junior year like you all have said, and relax a little more. Sometimes I worry more about things than I really need to, I do this a lot.

Thank you all for the help and reassurance.:001_smile:

Just a thought: have you considered Activity Therapy as a career path? I know several people who studied music/music therapy in college and are now working as Activity Therapists in hospitals. Their work incorporates music as well as arts & crafts, animals, dance/movement, music, drama, sports, games, and community outings, and since you have expressed an interest in working with children, it might be possible to specialize as a Pediatric Activity Therapist.

You might also consider one of these fields:

Recreational Therapy

Occupational Therapy

Animal-Assisted Therapy (my dd, EK, has long been interested in this field)

Speech-Language Pathology

Physical Therapy

Physical Therapy Assistant

With these fields, you might have the option to specialize in some type of pediatric therapy.

Edited by ereks mom

Just a thought: have you considered Activity Therapy as a career path? I know several people who studied music/music therapy in college and are now working as Activity Therapists in hospitals. Their work incorporates music as well as arts & crafts, animals, dance/movement, music, drama, sports, games, and community outings, and since you have expressed an interest in working with children, it might be possible to specialize as a Pediatric Activity Therapist.

You might also consider one of these fields:

Recreational Therapy

Occupational Therapy

Animal-Assisted Therapy (my dd, EK, has long been interested in this field)

Speech-Language Pathology

Physical Therapy

Physical Therapy Assistant

With these fields, you might have the option to specialize in some type of pediatric therapy.

I have never heard of some of the fields that you posted about and some of them seem very interesting and neat! I have considered Occupational therapy, but it's not for me. Physical therapy I like and I might consider becoming a physical therapy assistant or a Pediatric Activity Therapist. I really like helping children overcome the challenges they may face early on in life and I love watching them succeed!

Thank you!:)

A couple of other thoughts for you..

Another consideration in your choice of vocations is the type of area in which you live/wish to live. For example, my cousin just obtained her degree in Music Therapy. She is doing her internship in California, in the Los Angeles area. What she told me she has discovered is that this career is currently viable only in the much larger cities (she was raised in a town here in the Deep South w/ ~80,000 population). If she wishes to practice in this area, she would have to successfully launch and market the idea of Music Therapy to this area. Otherwise, she will need to plan to live in a much more metropolitan setting, such as New Orleans.

I saw someone mentioned Speech Pathology as a career option to consider. Another related option is Audiology (hearing evaluation/hearing & balance disorders/auditory processing difficulties, hearing aid fitting, etc). Way back when I was in college, a long, long time ago ;), I obtained my B.A. in Speech Pathology/Audiology. Students then chose to either pursue a graduate degree in one of the two. I chose to get my M.S. in Audiology. IIRC, there was another option to obtain your bachelor's in Sp. Path through the Education Dept, for those students who knew they wanted to work in the school system. (One important note of interest: in Audiology, the requirement is now to obtain your Au.D--Doctorate of Audiology. A master's degree is no longer the minimum requirement. Not sure how that has evolved for Speech Pathology.)

Within the field of Audiology, you could choose to branch into various areas--for ex., you could work at a hospital or w/ an ENT (ear/nose/throat dr), in the school system, or at a school for deaf children. Hospital work often involves more of an elderly clientele. Patient age would vary more if you worked in conjunction w/ an ENT office, depending on if they were a general ENT group or if they specialized more in pediatric or geriatric (elderly) patients. Aural rehabilitation is another area w/in Audiology you could research, if you were so inclined.

Sorry, didn't intend for this to be so long, but I can well remember how stressed I was as I headed into the last half of my senior year, still so undecided about what type of career I should pursue. About the only think I was sure of was that I did not wish to be a nurse or a teacher.

I initially planned to pursue a degree in sign language interpreting, but there were no options for this anywhere near my home, and I did not feel ready to head off hundreds of miles away from home to go to college. Furthermore, this was a situation similar to the Music Therapy dilemma I mentioned earlier, in that there was just not a big enough demand for sign language interpreting in the smaller, more rural area that I preferred to live in. (That has changed to some degree now, and would probably be less of an issue now). Then I found out about the field of Audiology, and off I went. :)

A couple of other thoughts for you..

Another consideration in your choice of vocations is the type of area in which you live/wish to live. For example, my cousin just obtained her degree in Music Therapy. She is doing her internship in California, in the Los Angeles area. What she told me she has discovered is that this career is currently viable only in the much larger cities (she was raised in a town here in the Deep South w/ ~80,000 population). If she wishes to practice in this area, she would have to successfully launch and market the idea of Music Therapy to this area. Otherwise, she will need to plan to live in a much more metropolitan setting, such as New Orleans.

I saw someone mentioned Speech Pathology as a career option to consider. Another related option is Audiology (hearing evaluation/hearing & balance disorders/auditory processing difficulties, hearing aid fitting, etc). Way back when I was in college, a long, long time ago ;), I obtained my B.A. in Speech Pathology/Audiology. Students then chose to either pursue a graduate degree in one of the two. I chose to get my M.S. in Audiology. IIRC, there was another option to obtain your bachelor's in Sp. Path through the Education Dept, for those students who knew they wanted to work in the school system. (One important note of interest: in Audiology, the requirement is now to obtain your Au.D--Doctorate of Audiology. A master's degree is no longer the minimum requirement. Not sure how that has evolved for Speech Pathology.)

Within the field of Audiology, you could choose to branch into various areas--for ex., you could work at a hospital or w/ an ENT (ear/nose/throat dr), in the school system, or at a school for deaf children. Hospital work often involves more of an elderly clientele. Patient age would vary more if you worked in conjunction w/ an ENT office, depending on if they were a general ENT group or if they specialized more in pediatric or geriatric (elderly) patients. Aural rehabilitation is another area w/in Audiology you could research, if you were so inclined.

Sorry, didn't intend for this to be so long, but I can well remember how stressed I was as I headed into the last half of my senior year, still so undecided about what type of career I should pursue. About the only think I was sure of was that I did not wish to be a nurse or a teacher.

I initially planned to pursue a degree in sign language interpreting, but there were no options for this anywhere near my home, and I did not feel ready to head off hundreds of miles away from home to go to college. Furthermore, this was a situation similar to the Music Therapy dilemma I mentioned earlier, in that there was just not a big enough demand for sign language interpreting in the smaller, more rural area that I preferred to live in. (That has changed to some degree now, and would probably be less of an issue now). Then I found out about the field of Audiology, and off I went. :)

You have given me a lot to think about, some good thoughts and some bad lol:001_smile:. But I might have a feel for what I want to "try" and see what will work for me, so by the time I get to college I will have an idea of what I want to do.

Thank you!:D