Menu

nature study curriculum k-1st

You might check out Barb's (Harmony Art Mom) Handbook of Nature Study blog. She has a series of challenges and information posted. Click on the "Getting Started" link.

Our local park system has a summer letterboxing program each summer. It is a great way to get out and observe, you might check yours. Or try geocaching with nature books.

Get some paper and pencils (even colored pencils) and draw plants and bugs in your own yard. Learn the names of the plants in your landscaping. Then learn your neighbors'. I liked this book pretty well to help me get started: Keeping a Nature Journal.

I'm not very good at this yet, but this is what we've done and my children always enjoy it.

You might check out Barb's (Harmony Art Mom) Handbook of Nature Study blog. She has a series of challenges and information posted. Click on the "Getting Started" link.

Seconding the Handbook of Nature Study and the corresponding blog. the H.of Nature Study is expensive, but I bought a previous edition on ebay for only $11 and it is actually the one that was originally used by the blog mom (I think?). It is black with an orange butterfly on the cover.

My copy looks like the one in this link..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Handbook-Nature-Study-Anna-Botsford-Comstock-/130540415188?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item1e64d0a8d4

Here is a free one from the ARbor Day foundation that seems to be geared towards smaller kids great pages and simple ideas. Really beautiful and well done I think, good introduction I think:

http://www.arborday.org/explore/families/thanks.cfm

I have My Nature Journal coming here as I seen good reviews The Nature Connection looks good as well. Interestingly I just received a sewing book today that I am loving and it was listed as another book by the same publisher, so I'm now wanting it as well!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm very impressed with The Nature Connection workbook; Amazon has a huge sample on the "look inside", although it's a bit advanced for my younger kids. My oldest would love it though.:D

I downloaded the Arbor Day Foundation pack and looks great for the younger two (and it's free:D) and someone mentioned nature detectives in the UK; we have pretty much used all their resources the last few years. Maybe it's time they got some new ones just for me.:lol: