Menu

xpost: Quo Vadis?

I read it as a teen. I hated the bits with the Apostles.

I read it again last year. The Apostles were my favourite parts!

I thought it was a very moving story, I have no idea about its historical accuracy, nor do I care. The power of forgiveness (which I thought was so corny as a teen) really comes through the story.

I read it as a teen. I hated the bits with the Apostles.

I read it again last year. The Apostles were my favourite parts!

I thought it was a very moving story, I have no idea about its historical accuracy, nor do I care. The power of forgiveness (which I thought was so corny as a teen) really comes through the story.

Thank you.

Ds read it when he was 17 doing Omnibus Ancients. He seemed to like it alright. The chapters are very short. He thought it was quite simple to understand, after slogging thru the Ancients Great Books. It was even easier to read than Ben Hur.

Moira in MA Dd and I both read it last year' date=' after Omnibus I. It was a good read and we both considered it worth our time.

We're considering reading the author's books about Poland for Modernity.[/quote']

Thank you both--I'll let him know.

(I registered to these boards to reply to this post)

Quo Vadis is an awesome book. It won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1905 (back when Christ-centered books still won Nobel Prizes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quo_Vadis_%28novel%29

As a student of church history, what I especially loved about this book was its attention to tiny historical details. It paints a very accurate picture of the early church against the context of Imperial Rome. Though not supported by contemporary sources, the portrayals of the Apostles are in line with Roman Catholic tradition.

One of the more central pagan Roman characters is Petronius Arbiter. I do not recommend that anyone read his books (available in Loeb editions). They are appallingly deviant.

(I registered to these boards to reply to this post)

Quo Vadis is an awesome book. It won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1905 (back when Christ-centered books still won Nobel Prizes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quo_Vadis_%28novel%29

As a student of church history, what I especially loved about this book was its attention to tiny historical details. It paints a very accurate picture of the early church against the context of Imperial Rome. Though not supported by contemporary sources, the portrayals of the Apostles are in line with Roman Catholic tradition.

One of the more central pagan Roman characters is Petronius Arbiter. I do not recommend that anyone read his books (available in Loeb editions). They are appallingly deviant.

Welcome to the boards and thank you for the information.

One of my favorite all-time reads, but something I would want an older teen to read rather than a younger one, not necessarily because of the reading level or the content, but because they'll appreciate it more when they have a little more spiritual maturity.