Menu

Trying to decide on whether I should attend a Christian university?

LuvingLife

I am in love with a few Christian Universities right now and I would love to be able to attend one of them. They all seem to have a good "christian" atmosphere to them (haven't visited, but this will narrow down the search) and they have a lot of scholarship money and grants that I can recieve. I want to attend a Christian college/university, but then there are really good state schools and other colleges that are just perfect. I might not be able to major in music therapy because of lack of music experience, but I might do something music, maybe keep it as a hobby.

Both Christian and non-Christian schools have a lot to offer, and for me this is a good thing. But it's choosing the college to attend that's the thing. When you walk onto the campus, do you get the ah-ha moment of this is it! This is the college for me!? Or does it take time to decide? The college search is starting to overwhelm me a little and I had to take a small break from it. How on earth does one decide which college to attend?

Well, I go to a Christian Univeristy, so I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Think about the size, the feel, the academics, the authenticity of school (not all schools are equally "Christian") the distance from home, etc. that you would prefer.

I chose a school about an hour away from home. It's about 3100 students. I love the size because all your professors actually know who you are and you get to know a lot of the student body. No school is perfect, but visiting will definitely help you get a feel for it. Try to talk to students, not just ones associated with tours, to get a good perspective.

Depending on your major, try to find out what kinds of opportunities will be available at the undergraduate level. Smaller schools are often more limited, but in my case, I've had some incredible opportunities for tutoring and research experience because the school is small.

Hope your search goes well!

Oldest did have an "ah-ha" moment when he first stepped foot on what is now his Christian College campus. He didn't feel the same way at all about any other school he looked at (both Christian and secular). After having finished his freshman year, he still loves it there!

Try to visit some (both types) and see what you think. We also had oldest join in with some Christian club meetings at secular schools.

When you walk onto the campus, do you get the ah-ha moment of this is it! This is the college for me!? Or does it take time to decide? The college search is starting to overwhelm me a little and I had to take a small break from it. How on earth does one decide which college to attend?

My daughter had no ah-ha moments. She did end up picking the college where she felt she fit a bit more with the rest of the student body. But mostly it was about a major that was at one college and not the other. And the price. She went with the cheaper one.

And she's been happy.

Does a music therapy degree really depend on lots of music experience? I wouldn't think it would. I mean, you'd want to know *something* about music, but you wouldn't need to be super professional on an instrument, would you? Or am I misinformed?

Well, I go to a Christian Univeristy, so I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Think about the size, the feel, the academics, the authenticity of school (not all schools are equally "Christian") the distance from home, etc. that you would prefer.

I chose a school about an hour away from home. It's about 3100 students. I love the size because all your professors actually know who you are and you get to know a lot of the student body. No school is perfect, but visiting will definitely help you get a feel for it. Try to talk to students, not just ones associated with tours, to get a good perspective.

Depending on your major, try to find out what kinds of opportunities will be available at the undergraduate level. Smaller schools are often more limited, but in my case, I've had some incredible opportunities for tutoring and research experience because the school is small.

Hope your search goes well!

This is one of the reasons why I would like to attend a small Christian university because of their small size, and I like the professors know who I am, where the big state universities don't really have that feel. And I agree not all Christian schools are "Christian", so I will definitely have to visit. You have answered most of my questions about this, would you mind telling me the school you attend? If it's for private reasons, then you don't have to tell me, I understand about keeping things private!:)

Oldest did have an "ah-ha" moment when he first stepped foot on what is now his Christian College campus. He didn't feel the same way at all about any other school he looked at (both Christian and secular). After having finished his freshman year, he still loves it there!

Try to visit some (both types) and see what you think. We also had oldest join in with some Christian club meetings at secular schools.

I kind of hope I will have this "ah-ha" moment when I step on one of the college campuses. I will try to visit both, and I wouldn't mind going to a secular school if they had Christian club meetings! Thanks for the tips!

My daughter had no ah-ha moments. She did end up picking the college where she felt she fit a bit more with the rest of the student body. But mostly it was about a major that was at one college and not the other. And the price. She went with the cheaper one.

And she's been happy.

Does a music therapy degree really depend on lots of music experience? I wouldn't think it would. I mean, you'd want to know *something* about music, but you wouldn't need to be super professional on an instrument, would you? Or am I misinformed?

I am glad that your daughter found a good school, although I would that ah-ha moment to help me decide lol. It's all good if it isn't though. A music therapy degree does require a strong background in music to enroll in music therapy. I didn't know this until a few months ago, so I am trying to broaden my search again. I did get some good advice, and I was told that if I major in special ed and minor in music, I could still be accepted to the certificated program to become a music therapist.

Thank you for the help!:001_smile:

You have answered most of my questions about this, would you mind telling me the school you attend? If it's for private reasons, then you don't have to tell me, I understand about keeping things private!:)

QUOTE]

LuvingLife, I'll try to send you a private message :)

Edited by history_junkie

They picked where they felt comfortable, had the major they wanted and we could afford without them going into huge amounts of debt. DD went in with about a semester worth of CC credits and some of her classes were big, about 40-50 students (this is at a college that is the 4th largest in the state so it's pretty big). She found that her professors knew her because she stood out. Her study skills as well as her seriousness about the class showed. Many of her professors commented about that to her. Once she got her gen ed courses out she is majoring in two smaller majors (dance and Japanese) so all of her professors know her intimately. So just because you go to a large school doesn't mean you won't know your professors and they won't know you. It really boils down to how much both of you care about what you're there to do and what major you choose. Also don't forget that many of the courses required for gen ed may not have as many students in them as you expect because they offer so many choices regarding time etc. When I was in school I found that those classes that met between 11 and 2 were the most crowded but if you took a class before then or after them they were smaller and you had a better chance of getting to know your professor.

They picked where they felt comfortable, had the major they wanted and we could afford without them going into huge amounts of debt. DD went in with about a semester worth of CC credits and some of her classes were big, about 40-50 students (this is at a college that is the 4th largest in the state so it's pretty big). She found that her professors knew her because she stood out. Her study skills as well as her seriousness about the class showed. Many of her professors commented about that to her. Once she got her gen ed courses out she is majoring in two smaller majors (dance and Japanese) so all of her professors know her intimately. So just because you go to a large school doesn't mean you won't know your professors and they won't know you. It really boils down to how much both of you care about what you're there to do and what major you choose. Also don't forget that many of the courses required for gen ed may not have as many students in them as you expect because they offer so many choices regarding time etc. When I was in school I found that those classes that met between 11 and 2 were the most crowded but if you took a class before then or after them they were smaller and you had a better chance of getting to know your professor.

Oh I see, it's good to get a lot of different perspectives on this subject because I don't want to single out schools, and I have nothing against public schools at all. Some of them are really good, it's just most Christian colleges have that Christian atmosphere and I just love that. I want to go on mission trips and things, but if I can't attend a Christian school, then I will do those things through my church or another Christian organization!

Thank you all for the help!

Oh I see, it's good to get a lot of different perspectives on this subject because I don't want to single out schools, and I have nothing against public schools at all. Some of them are really good, it's just most Christian colleges have that Christian atmosphere and I just love that. I want to go on mission trips and things, but if I can't attend a Christian school, then I will do those things through my church or another Christian organization!

Thank you all for the help!

Oldest absolutely loves this aspect. It's why he really wanted a Christian school too. It's definitely different than secular schools. However, beware that some students are there because their folks force them to go to Christian schools, so don't assume everyone there shares the Christian atmosphere. Still, at least at my guy's school those not sharing it are in the minority (he tells me).

Oldest absolutely loves this aspect. It's why he really wanted a Christian school too. It's definitely different than secular schools. However, beware that some students are there because their folks force them to go to Christian schools, so don't assume everyone there shares the Christian atmosphere. Still, at least at my guy's school those not sharing it are in the minority (he tells me).

:iagree: not all kids are going to be like that, and a lot of people have warned me about this. But if I can get into a Christain school, then I will attend (and if it meets all my requirements). The only problem is finding that college! :D

If your Christian faith is very important to you, and you do not have much support elsewhere, then you might want to consider the Christian college. I have three children who either were or are in college. They are very independent and strong/solid with their faith, and didn't think they needed to be in a Christian atmosphere. In fact, they even felt a Christian college might hold them back -- might taint the way subjects were taught, might be too filled with closed-minded students who don't want to think thinks through themselves...

They all ended up going to a mix, maybe a year in a Christian school, a year in a secular school, etc. Two of them are still in the midst of their college education right now, but they are realizing that they feel most comfortable and content when at a Christian school afterall. (Again, they did not "need" it for their faith, but it was very nice.)

One daughter is once again at a secular school, but it is very small, and she is part of a larger Christian community now apart from school. The school is nice and has become quite comfortable since it is small, but I know my kids will have the best memories from their Christian school days.

Just some things to think about, I guess. :)

If your Christian faith is very important to you, and you do not have much support elsewhere, then you might want to consider the Christian college. I have three children who either were or are in college. They are very independent and strong/solid with their faith, and didn't think they needed to be in a Christian atmosphere. In fact, they even felt a Christian college might hold them back -- might taint the way subjects were taught, might be too filled with closed-minded students who don't want to think thinks through themselves...

They all ended up going to a mix, maybe a year in a Christian school, a year in a secular school, etc. Two of them are still in the midst of their college education right now, but they are realizing that they feel most comfortable and content when at a Christian school afterall. (Again, they did not "need" it for their faith, but it was very nice.)

One daughter is once again at a secular school, but it is very small, and she is part of a larger Christian community now apart from school. The school is nice and has become quite comfortable since it is small, but I know my kids will have the best memories from their Christian school days.

Just some things to think about, I guess. :)

I am very strong in my faith, I just wanted a college to back up my beliefs, I really don't mind going to a secular school, even if it is for a year and then I transfer just like you said your daughters have. I might go to a Christian school for my undergraduate studies and then if I go for a master's go to a secular. I do like the Christian schools I am looking at, and they do not make you conform to a certain "faith/religion" most people are welcome.

Thank you for the tips!:001_smile:

I was reading a recent issue of World Magazine (a Christian news magazine, for those unfamiliar) and several stories were dealing with the current state of dating/relationships for young people.

To summarize part of it: There are often more women than men on campus, and, "when women compete for men, men win: the price of s*x goes down."

Here is the conclusion of the article:

A tightly held faith in God makes a difference. The authors found that those most likely not to be having sex are "more religious, especially in terms of how central it is to their identity." Apart from belief that they are called to marriage and fatherhood, men are unlikely to marry in their 20s, or perhaps at all: "Their decision to delay makes sense from a sexual economics perspective: they can access sex relatively easily outside of marriage, they can obtain many of the perceived benefits of marriage by cohabiting rather than marrying, they encounter few social pressures from peers to marry. . . ."

The effect on women is even greater: "The losers in this discounted sexual marketplace are clearly women . . . who want to remain virgins until marriage (and yet, who wish to get married). They are increasingly put in a bind in their pursuit of a lifelong relationship, constrained by how the sexual decisions of their peers alter market expectations about the price of sex. Many feel pressure to 'take what they can get' and commence a sexual relationship with a marriage-minded man before marriage, or risk the real possibility that in holding out for a chaste man to marry they will wait a lot longer than they would like to, watching the pool of available, ideal men shrink before their eyes."

Or, have faith that God will provide.

Do I expect my daughter to engage in immorality? No. Would I rather her be on a campus where (hopefully) the majority of guys are aiming for a God-honoring marriage rather than just a good time? ABSOLUTELY!

Many blessings to you!

My dds have all gone to Christian University, so can't speak as well to the secular universities, but they have all so enjoyed developing relationships with their college professors. At a smaller college/university there are so many more opportunities for mentoring and friendship from your professors. An example of the personal friendship, My oldest dd did research in chemistry over the summers while at college. One day her battery was dead in her car, and she was having problems figuring out how to purchase and change it. One of her chem professors asked for her car key, went out and checked on her car and purchased a battery and installed it for her. Another example is to see my dd's facebook page and see that she corresponds with a couple of her former female professors. They have encouraged her with ideas for employment now that she has received her masters in chemistry. I compare her undergrad experience at a Christian university with her post grad experience at her major research university where she was working on her phd. The professor she worked with in research was not approachable to his many students. At the UW 800 students will take G-chem in any given year and there just isn't any way for a professor to even learn the names of his or her students let alone develop a relationship. My dd taught lab classes and did the quiz/test sections with smaller groups of students, and also had tutoring hours when she wasn't doing research. For the most part the professors were not available to students in this way.

My youngest dd is going on a medical mission trip in August with her university. It is being led by one of her professors....just another neat way that the a professor will impact her life!

Edited by Reesegirl

My dds have all gone to Christian University, so can't speak as well to the secular universities, but they have all so enjoyed developing relationships with their college professors. At a smaller college/university there are so many more opportunities for mentoring and friendship from your professors. An example of the personal friendship, My oldest dd did research in chemistry over the summers while at college. One day her battery was dead in her car, and she was having problems figuring out how to purchase and change it. One of her chem professors asked for her car key, went out and checked on her car and purchased a battery and installed it for her. Another example is to see my dd's facebook page and see that she corresponds with a couple of her former female professors. They have encouraged her with ideas for employment now that she has received her masters in chemistry. I compare her undergrad experience at a Christian university with her post grad experience at her major research university where she was working on her phd. The professor she worked with in research was not approachable to his many students. At the UW 800 students will take G-chem in any given year and there just isn't any way for a professor to even learn the names of his or her students let alone develop a relationship. My dd taught lab classes and did the quiz/test sections with smaller groups of students, and also had tutoring hours when she wasn't doing research. For the most part the professors were not available to students in this way.

My youngest dd is going on a medical mission trip in August with her university. It is being led by one of her professors....just another neat way that the a professor will impact her life!

Sounds just like the atmosphere at my school. Is it the same one?? :) Having professors who know you well enough to take the time to invest in your life has been one of the biggest blessings of my college experience.

Luving Life,

I'm going to get back to your original question about how to choose a college; you have gotten a feel for the possibilities as OtherPs have shared with you.

In thinking about a college, I would be concerned about several things. To use the hated question that my husband kept posing to my daughter, "What does the end state look like?" (Hated because it took her several months to realize she just didn't like art enough to sell her soul for it, as would be required at some schools at the university level--her real desire was to pursue some kind of a ministry major with art alongside as a second major. Once she put art in second place, according to her priorities, that gave her the freedom to enjoy it, and to pick the school where that would be OK.)

Rephrase: what is your ultimate goal? You mentioned music therapy. Do you know the two or three most common paths to achieving the credential necessary to work in the field? Nail down that answer; for example, which schools offer the terminal degree to work as a music therapist? (I'm guessing not that many.) Find out what their incoming students "look like." Once you have a very good picture of what that looks like, follow up with looking for opportunities to shadow several music therapists. Find out what you really think of the work.

Also, a tip: as you talk to people, please thank them for their time, and ask them if they would be willing to answer additional questions once you begin to narrow down your possibilities. Then send them a bonafide, handwritten--short and sweet--thank you note.

Then, start making a list of the schools that you think fit your criteria for field of study, location, size, atmosphere, grad rate, girl-guy ratio, avg incoming scores/GPA. You might end up with two or three categories of school, for example, state schools, private schools, small of either kind, etc. Do all your fact-gathering and keep a spreadsheet of what you find out, including the important deadlines for each school. Include $ amounts in your facts, so you have an idea what the total cost of attendance would be; it's one more piece of data, not a deal breaker at this point, OK?

Most importantly, pick a dream (or "stretch") school or two, as well as a "safety" school.

Get your family ready to work the FAFSA in late December or early January. This is way before taxes are due, so they will need time to change their mindset, collect the proper numbers--give them plenty of warning, because it does take time and a lot of patience, but since money is doled out first come first served, be sure you (they) are ready to meet the FAFSA deadline for your earliest school.

As you find out more about schools, narrow the list, work your deadlines (especially the *free application* (fall) and scholarship (generally Dec and early spring) deadlines), look for opportunities to apply for departmental scholarships, leadership, honor, service, or special interest scholarships, and visit the schools. Put every deadline and the "visit days" (especially if there are ones for your major) on a master calendar and enlist your family's help to cheerlead for you as you work your way through the milestones. Note that your flagship state schools may have far earlier application deadlines (mid-November here) and later notifications...it is what it is.

In the end you will wind up with two or three possibilities left standing, you will be on your knees praying for guidance, and you will wait for financial aid packages to come in. As they come in you may have some nail-biting moments as you wait some more, juggle offers, and might even have to ask for extensions or for FA to see what else they can offer you, but when you see the whole picture, you won't be sorry that you gave the search all the time and effort you did, especially if you don't blink early and close the doors yourself on the dream school. You might be pleasantly surprised and find that your dream becomees a reality, or you might have to close a door late, because you just can't stomach the debt it would mean, or because there is a better offer elsewhere that you just couldn't refuse. (YAAY!) That's OK. Be willing to try, and if you have to walk away, it will be a choice that you made with your eyes wide open, a choice that you owned. :hurray:

hth

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Most importantly, pick a dream (or "stretch") school or two, as well as a "safety" school.

I liked your whole post, but this one point is not always necessary IMO. Oldest's #1 choice was a school well within his stats. He didn't find any he liked that would be considered a stretch for him. Some might say he didn't even pick any that were true matches as his stats were kind of high. It doesn't matter. He loves it where he is.

PLUS, I know several kids who go to places where they are in the bottom half or quarter of the stats of kids attending. It usually isn't pretty. Actually, I can't think of one case IRL that I know where it has worked out superbly. I can think of cases where it worked out ok (got the degree, but hardly with a great GPA), but there are many more where kids came home thoroughly discouraged. Finishing "middle of the pack" doesn't always get one decent job or grad school opportunities (if that was the goal).

Personally, I always recommend that kids be in the top 50% of stats with their choices. For my own kids, I like to see them in the top 25% of stats. I will not let them even apply to places where they are in the bottom 50% due to my experiences with other people's children. NOTE: I might make an exception for a non-academic major (art, music, etc).

You are both correct, and maybe I should have elaborated a bit. When I was thinking a stretch school, our family didn't have an academic stretch in mind, so I was thinking stretch or dream *financially.* Dd has never had any interest in Ivies or any of the tier one schools, so it never would have come up, and although I went to perhaps the most academically challenging Christian college (all kind of pitfalls in that sentence, so please forgive me), we never had any interest in pursuing it for her due to the ridiculous cost.

I had a "dream school" for dd, as did she--although not the same school. :) We knew that financially they were a stretch, but had she been willing to go into debt, she would have been perfectly within upper normal range for the student bodies of both, she'd actually have been in honors programs at both. For the purposes of the merit scholarships and the *opportunities* we desired for her, I think picking the "best fit" school in which she was in the top 20% probably would have been about right, although that is something we learned along the way, not something that we calculated at the time.

Hth clarify, and thanks for your input.

<<I might make an exception for a non-academic major (art, music, etc.)>> Why? I respectfully disagree but would like to hear what you're thinking. Let's see if we can get Faith to chime in on this one. Heh, heh!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

You are both correct, and maybe I should have elaborated a bit. When I was thinking a stretch school, our famiyl didn't have an academic stretch in mind, so I was thinking stretch or dream *financially.* Dd has never had any interest in Ivies or any of the tier one schools, so it never would have come up, and although I went to perhaps the most academically challenging Christian college (all kind of pitfalls in that setnence, so please forgive me), we never had any interest in pursuing it for her due to the ridiculous cost.

I had a "dream school" for dd, as did she--although not the same school. :) We knew that financially they were a stretch, but had she been willing to go into debt, she would have been perfectly within upper normal range for the student bodies of both, she'd actually have been in honors programs at both. For the purposes of the merit scholarships and the *opportunities* we desired for her, I think picking the "best fit" school in which she was in the top 20% probably would have been about right, although that is something we learned along the way, not something that we calculated at the time.

Hth clarify, and thanks for your input.

<<I might make an exception for a non-academic major (art, music, etc.)>> Why? I respectfullly disagree but would like to hear what you're thinking. Let's see if we can get Faith to chime in on this one. Heh, heh!

Financial stretches I agree with pursuing if the student likes the school. So far, all of mine have applied or are planning to apply to schools we may not be able to afford if the financial package doesn't come in decently. We've also had "the talk" and they know finances will partially dictate where they can go as I don't want them to have oodles of debt at graduation (some debt is ok IMO).

It's definitely just the academic stretches I disagree with for reasons posted before.

I'd possibly make an exception for non-academic majors simply because I've seen so many students who are literally gifted at art or music (especially art), but who have a tough time with math (I'm in math classes, so I see that. English I don't have as much experience with.) There are some really good art/music schools at some of the good academic schools. If the student could get in to one of those (and afford it), I can understand letting them pursue their talents even if their overall scores aren't in the top 50%. They'll only need lower level math courses anyway, plus, I suspect more of the lower 50% are in those types of majors since college folks realize talent diversity too - effectively still allowing them to be with academic peers.

I would want their talent/portfolio to be up to snuff with their peers in this situation, but not necessarily their ACT/SAT scores.

<<Personally, I always recommend that kids be in the top 50% of stats with their choices. For my own kids, I like to see them in the top 25% of stats. I will not let them even apply to places where they are in the bottom 50% due to my experiences with other people's children. NOTE: I might make an exception for a non-academic major (art, music, etc). >>

OK, now I think I understand what you were saying. It's not that you would make an exception and be OK with a student being in the lower 50% for a music or art major but not for a math major, when comparing their *accomplishment/giftedness* to their peers, it's only when comparing test scores or possibly GPA.

I get that and probaably agree with that, if a student is prodigiously accomplished/gifted, and they just don't fit the round-cookie-cutter standard. (Who cares if a student can only do everyday math if they are ridiculously talented in another way? That's why God gives us either a spouse or a good CPA. ;) )

I would be especially concerned to send an underprepared or less gifted music or art student into a venue in which the caliber of their peers is a great mismatch for them.

I get that and probaably agree with that, if a student is prodigiously accomplished/gifted, and they just don't fit the round-cookie-cutter standard. (Who cares if a student can only do everyday math if they are ridiculously talented in another way? That's why God gives us either a spouse or a good CPA. ;) )

I would be especially concerned to send an underprepared or less gifted music or art student into a venue in which the caliber of their peers is a great mismatch for them.

:iagree:

Wow, I love the conversation and things going on here, it has kind of opened my eyes to what you as parents and your kids are/have gone through.

Valerie(TX) you have been a big help in deciding where I want to go to college as well as my major. I might not do music therapy as a major just because I am not so good at music. I have only been taking lessons for a short time and I fell in love with music, but I see how long kids have been practicing and I feel that music therapy isn't my calling. I might minor in music or join in something that involves music at college, but I have to let music therapy go for now. Maybe in the future, but not now.

Money is a plays a HUGE part in making my college decision, I basically need close to a full scholarship, grants and loan, or all of that, I need it to cover most of my expenses. Most of the colleges that I have spoken to though have said I can get this, so I feel confident in choosing my college. I will be applying to Christian colleges, and of course a safety school just in case something happens.

And as far as relationships go, I don't really think it's that important if I find my dream man in college or not. I am mostly there to focus on my education and not finding the man, but if he just happens to come along then I am not going to stop it lol :D.

I am very grateful for what all of you have done, you have all helped me and I really appreciate the tips and advice you have given me.

I am in love with a few Christian Universities right now and I would love to be able to attend one of them. They all seem to have a good "christian" atmosphere to them (haven't visited, but this will narrow down the search) and they have a lot of scholarship money and grants that I can recieve. I want to attend a Christian college/university, but then there are really good state schools and other colleges that are just perfect. I might not be able to major in music therapy because of lack of music experience, but I might do something music, maybe keep it as a hobby.

Both Christian and non-Christian schools have a lot to offer, and for me this is a good thing. But it's choosing the college to attend that's the thing. When you walk onto the campus, do you get the ah-ha moment of this is it! This is the college for me!? Or does it take time to decide? The college search is starting to overwhelm me a little and I had to take a small break from it. How on earth does one decide which college to attend?

Some things that I might suggest my kids think about:

Are there aspects of the control and/or restrictions at a Christian school that you would rebel against. Just as an example, our family doesn't believe that Christians are restricted from drinking alcohol. Nor do we believe in a strict six day young Earth view of world origins. I wouldn't have a problem with a dry campus, but I would be (and have been) annoyed if the school made a big deal about alcohol of any amount and in every setting being wrong.

Compare apples to apples. If there are Christian organizations at a non-Christian school, check them out. I was at a very non-Christian school (a service academy), but I was well supported with small group Bible studies, Officers' Christian Fellowship, Navigators, Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Baptist Student Union. Those groups provided mentors for me from among the student body as well as from older adults.

I think it is possible to get a good education as well as to maintain and grow in ones faith at either a Christian school or a secular school. It's also possible to attend a Christian school and leave with a shallow faith that hasn't been challenged and deepened in the process.

Now you get to see the *real mom* come out.

And as far as relationships go, I don't really think it's that important if I find my dream man in college or not. I am mostly there to focus on my education and not finding the man, but if he just happens to come along then I am not going to stop it lol :D.

:eek: :ack2: :ohmy: :angry: :scared:

I didn't hear you say any of those words I highlighted in red. No, ma'am, I didn't. I appreciate the lovely sentiment (you go, girl!), but guys do not even exist. Not till you graduate. From college, if you are going on for grad work. Yup, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. All those broad shouldered, two-legged creatures with long pants that my dd and her girlfriends hang out with, they're just more brothers, yup, that's what they are. And they have magic blinders that keep them from seeing how lovely you gals are.

I know...I'm delusional. I thought you'd enjoy a peek at my world. :lol:

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Now you get to see the *real mom* come out.

:eek: :ack2: :ohmy: :angry: :scared:

I didn't hear you say any of those words I highlighted in red. No, ma'am, I didn't. I appreciate the lovely sentiment (you go, girl!), but guys do not even exist. Not till you graduate. From college, if you are going on for grad work. Yup, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. All those broad shouldered, two-legged creatures with long pants that my dd and her girlfriends hang out with, they're just more brothers, yup, that's what they are. And they have magic blinders that keep them from seeing how lovely you gals are.

I know...I'm delusional. I thought you'd enjoy a peek at my world. :lol:

Oh my gosh, you are like one of the best mom's ever lol! :lol: I would so love to meet you, and maybe I can put all the guys aside... That's going to be a tough one! (Just kidding) My dad has said the same thing to me, nope you can't date until he is dead, and my mom is like well she can date when she turns 18.;)

But as far as choosing a college, I might stick with a GOOD Christian college, and I will really take my time in researching everything an making sure it is the one. I will be choosing a safety school just in case though, you never know!

Thank you everyone for all of your help!