Menu

Am I being oversensitive about a Facebook picture?

It's ok, be honest. :D

I found a website that someone put together for a volunteer group that I used to be part of. On the site, I noticed that someone, presumably an acquaintance from the group and on my Facebook list, took one of my profile pictures and used it on the website. They posted it with my name as a member of the group. We never once discussed it and I didn't even know a website was being created.

There is no other way they could have gotten that photo of me, except through my Facebook. I'm a little upset that someone would just take a photo out of my album and post it on a site like that. I know it could have been worse and it was technically public, since I used it in my profile picture (all my other albums are very restricted; only a few of my FB friends can view.) Maybe I should delete all my profile pictures and just use my avatar instead?

I admit my bias -- I don't care to be associated with that group anymore. But I'm trying to pretend that I still want to be a part of it and wondering if I'd be as upset. I think I would. I just think it is strange to copy someone's picture and take it to use on a website. But I'm open to opinions here: Am I overreacting wishing someone wouldn't copy my photo and use it on their site?

ETA: I don't know who did it, as there are several people from the group on my FB list. I keep my photo albums locked so only a handful of friends can access them but my "profile picture" album is accessible to all friends, and I don't see a way to change that.

Edited by CaladwenEleniel

No. I'd be really ticked if someone was sharing ANY info about me without first asking. It's just rude. And it would quickly get her access to my FB very limited. I would also send a note that normally you have to ask written permission of some sort to do that to people.

IMO, your permission should have been sought first. This is where things get murky since what we post is "out there" for virtually anyone to see. However, the right thing to do would have been to ask if you were okay with it.

Is that true here tho?

My FB is not at all out there for virtually anyone. Only friends can view it at all. And my profile pic is never a picture of me. I'd be ticked if a friend abused their "friending" that way.

Even so, much Internet stuff is copyrighted. So if I blog something, that doesn't make it okay to steal it just bc it's out there.

Edited by Martha

Thanks!

I am trying to find out who copied the picture. It could have been one of more than a dozen people on my FB list. Every album I post is restricted so only a few people can view it, but my profile picture album is not. So I usually only use photos of places or myself (I'm a nut and won't put my kids in my profile pic.)

I worried I was oversensitive because I always overreact when people post pictures of my kids for all their friends to see, especially when their profiles aren't locked.

And I did feel like this photo was "mine". My mom took it for us after I had set up the camera and posing. It was taken over a year ago, and the site might be almost as old.

It's not one of those sites that is somehow "linked" with FB and automatically uses your FB information, is it? I see that all the time lately, where I'm at a site completely unrelated, and they have my FB profile pic and name out there so that I could easily leave a comment or something without having to sign up.

ETA: To find out, change your profile pic and see if it's changed on that website as well.

It's not one of those sites that is somehow "linked" with FB and automatically uses your FB information, is it? I see that all the time lately, where I'm at a site completely unrelated, and they have my FB profile pic and name out there so that I could easily leave a comment or something without having to sign up.

ETA: To find out, change your profile pic and see if it's changed on that website as well.

No, it isn't. The site was built by a member of the group.

I did delete all profile pictures and the new one is an old pet.

But that is good information to know!

Terribly rude -- they should remove it immediately!

BTW -- how do you lock your FB albums?

Go to an album and "edit". There should be a Privacy field. That's where you can edit who is allowed to see your albums.

I created a list of friends that can see my photos. I have a lot of friends on my list that aren't terribly close but it would cause issues if I defriended them. So I just set some of them on a list that cannot see my pictures or posts.