Menu

Bible

I notice alot of you do some Bible in the mornings(I'm going to be a new homeschooler next year so I'm devouring these forums)

Do you just read from the Bible or do you have some sort of devotion or curriculum you use?

Also, I we were thinking of buying SOTW 1 for the fall but if I can be completely honest, I'm reading thru the Bible for the first time and I'm not sure I'll be able to answer some of the questions that will come up with my boys over the history because to be quite frank...I'm learning it myself.

Is there another curriculum similar to SOTW that has a Biblical worldview?

Thanks!

We sometimes go through periods where we just read from the Bible; other times we read from various devotionals I've accumulated over the years. We read Little Pilgrim's Progress last year. We've used various Bible programs, such as BJU last year, and Memoria Press Christian Studies this year.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question regarding SOTW. In the chapters regarding Hebrew history, the book does treat biblical figures. If you wanted to read your Bible regarding these personages along with that, you could certainly do that.

How to do morning Bible time is a constant question of mine. Half the time it turns into "how do I keep my little ones still and quiet?" which is no fun. One thought I had for next year was to use the Veritas Press Bible cards as a "spine" reading the accompanying Bible story from a children's Bible - there are lots of good children's Bibles - or use a real Bible if you don't have any little ones. I thought the cards as a "visual aid" would be good for my little ones too. How much more time you spend on it is up to you.... you could have a discussion time, or add in a hymn or praise song you want them to learn, or add in a memory verse, and a prayer.

As for a Biblical worldview of your history studies, we have LOVED cds by Diana Waring called "What in the World's Going on Here?" There are three volumes. You would only need volume 1 for ancients and that would give you a feel for if you wanted to buy the other volumes. I learned more world history from her cds than I ever did in school and her enthusiasm for the subject is catching. She also does a great job of showing the relationship between the Israelites and other ancient civilizations. If you look for them used be sure it's the updated version - the older version is on tapes.

Best wishes on your journey!

Guest Shanna
I notice alot of you do some Bible in the mornings(I'm going to be a new homeschooler next year so I'm devouring these forums)

Do you just read from the Bible or do you have some sort of devotion or curriculum you use?

Also, I we were thinking of buying SOTW 1 for the fall but if I can be completely honest, I'm reading thru the Bible for the first time and I'm not sure I'll be able to answer some of the questions that will come up with my boys over the history because to be quite frank...I'm learning it myself.

Is there another curriculum similar to SOTW that has a Biblical worldview?

Thanks!

Good for you to learn along with your children. As for something similar to SOTW. I would HIGHLY recommend Mystery of History. We have done different things during our Bible time. We have just read the Bible, Teaching Hearts, Training Minds by Starr Meade, Bible Episodes by Penny Gardner, Leading Little Ones to God etc... I think it would really depend on the ages of your children.

I first thought you meant personal. If so, here's what I'm attempting: My husband and I have agreed to read the same Bible book over a week's time (approx. 30 chaps. worth). We can discuss it after the week. If we don't finish that amount, we start over until we finish it. Since inevitably we don't always make the thirty chapters, the repetition of reading again is actually good--the big picture of that book gets pretty ingrained after a while.

If you were talking about homeschooling--I read every morning to my ds out of Egermeier's Bible story book. Me and the ds have really enjoyed it. The writing is simple enough that he can understand, but not dumbed down. I am learning and relearning a ton myself. We'll just read through chronologically until we're through it and then presumably start over. We're still in the Old Testament, even after a year. We also do the Bible study/character supplement to Five in a Row.

We've done different things as well. Our "family Bible time" is usually at night before bedtime, separate from school. Also, the children have their own personal devotions each morning right when they wake up. So, for school, we're a bit more "academic" about the Bible. (That doesn't sound quite right...hope you understand what I mean.) We've loved Veritas Press Bible, which integrates directly into their history timelines. It puts the Bible in historical perspective, as well as applying it. I've learned so much about the Bible that I never really "put together" before...and I've been a Christian all my life!

Blessings on your journey! Don't feel like you have to "do it right" in this subject...If everyone is learning and growing, then you're on the way!

The kids and I have "devotions" in the morning. We read our own separate things, then have prayer requests and praises, then prayer time together. After that we have breakfast, then start with the school day. We have family worship every evening with Dad, and do a variety of things during that time.

For Bible for school we also vary what we do. When the kids were younger they did the "Studying God's Word" Bible series from Christian Liberty Press http://ebiz.netopia.com/clpress/bible/ which we all really liked!

Welcome, btw, hope you enjoy the homeschooling experience! It's not fun and games all the time, but I LOVE having my kids home!

I want my kids to know the catechism so we are going to be using the book, "Training Hearts, Teaching Minds". It is great for explaining the catechism and using the Bible of course to do this. It gives day by day lesson plans of what to do and they are really easy things.

I second or third Mystery of History for a History spine. I would also suggest you look into Diana Waring's History Alive! program as well. I LOVE her CD's (What in the World is Going On Here) and have learned so much about Biblical AND secular history and how the 2 mesh by listening to her CD's. You can look at MOH at http://www.brightideaspress.com and also join the Yahoo group for MOH. Diana's CD's can be found at http://www.answersingenesis.com...her new publisher. She also has a Yahoo group (sharingdwaring). Good luck to you!

The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos to my dc when we read SOTW last year. It is well written and doesn't "speak down" to children. Although I am quite familiar with the Bible, I found myself discovering some new insights along with my dc. She explains complex concepts in clear and simple terms, without adding interpretations that obscure the text, imo.

I read a chapter or two each morining at breakfast, and read SOTW in the afternoons, covering approximately one chapter each week. I was delighted to find that it usually lined up with SOTW very well.

We did two rounds of Leading Little Ones to God, in K and first, and tried something else (can't remember--wasn't good) last year. This year, we hit upon the golden oldy called Little Visits with God--love it. It's a two page devotional each day, sort of a moral story kinda thing, with a verse at the top and a prayer to read at the end. Very sweet, emphasizes God's love and Christ's sacrifice.

Dd wanted to learn more about the actual Bible, too, so we used Christian Liberty Press' Studying God's Word A. It's really written for K, but she read it independently. When she finished, she earned her first "real" bible, the NIrV version (easier to read but still has the verses and chapters like the NIV). I found a Bible Journal for her to start--it's a small study thru the entire Bible. I'm going thru it first so I can have an answer key. She'll continue with me in Little Visits, but do her journal and maybe the next CLP book in her room on her own.

We do a devotional time in the morning before starting school:

1. sing a worship song or hymn together

2. read a Bible passage and discuss together

3. read a few pages out of a Bible reference book or character building book

4. share prayer requests, pray together, keeping a family prayer journal

Below are some resources to get you started. Blessings to you and your family as you seek the Lord together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

1. SING

We sing with a worship song CD.

Or we pick a hymn and do a google search for a midi file of the tune and sing to it.

A hymnal is handy -- wish we played instruments so we could play & sing together!

Some nice "go along books" include:

- Mr. Pipes series (Bond) -- for grades 1-5

- 101 Hymn Stories (Osbeck) -- for grades 6-adult

- The Complete Book of Hymns (Petersen)

Some websites with midi files of hymn music:

- Digital Hymnal: http://www.digitalhymnal.org/

- Cyber Hymnal: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/

- Bread Site: http://breadsite.org/classic.htm

- Ambleside Online Curriculum: http://www.amblesideonline.org/Hymns.shtml

2. READ

There are TONS of great books at http://www.rainbowresource.com -- here are just a few, from the wide range of books you can include as part of your morning Bible study. Enjoy!

Bible resources:

- Leading Little Ones to God (Schoolland) -- gr. pre-K-2

- Awesome Book of Bible Facts (Silverthorne) -- gr. 2-5

- Training Hearts, Teaching Minds (Meade) -- gr. 2-6

- Our 24 Family Ways (Whole Heart Ministries) -- gr. K-8

- A Shepherd Looks at the 23rd Psalm (Keller) -- gr. 6+

- More Than a Carpenter (McDowell) -- gr. 8+

- Mere Christianity (Lewis) -- gr. 8+

- Orthodoxy (Chesterton) -- gr. 9+

Bible studies:

- Explorer Bible Study (gr. K-12) = http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/

- Kay Arthur 4 Kids series (gr. 3-6)

- Bible Study Fellowship International (non-denominational weekly Bible studies, many with a children's component) = http://www.bsfinternational.org/

The Bible:

We've also just read a passage of Scripture and then discuss -- what was a key verse or theme for each of us; what seemed especially important (repetition of images, words, ideas within the passage, or from elsewhere in that Bible book):what was revealed of God's character, or man's; how we will try to specifically apply the passage today; etc.

3. CHARACTER BOOKS

These are old-fashioned stories, showing the consequences of choices:

- A Hive of Busy Bees, and the sequel (Williams) -- gr. K-3

- the Miller family series (Martin) -- gr. K-3

We've been inspired by biographies:

- people of character: Florence Nightingale, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, Corrie Ten Boom ("The Hiding Place"), etc.

- missionaries: Amy Carmichael, Gladys Alyward, Hudson Taylor, Mary Slessor, Jim Elliot, Brother Andrew, Bruce Olson ("Bruchko"), etc.

- Ten Boys series, or the Ten Girls series (Howat)

- Hero Tales series (Jackson)

- Missionary Stories with the Millers (Martin) -- gr. 4+

- Trial and Triumph (Hannula) -- gr. 6+

- Voice of the Martyrs: 33AD to Today (Fox) -- gr. 9+

- Extreme Devotion (Voice of the Martyrs) -- updated version of Fox's Voice of the Martyrs

Other books for helping to train character:

- Manners Matter: Living the Golden Rule for Kids of All Ages (Hartley) -- gr. 5+

- Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends (Mally) -- gr. 4+

- Young Peacemaker (Sande) -- gr. 5+