Roxy Roller

When did you start WWE1?  

1. 1. When did you start WWE1?

• Kindergarten
    • 1st Grade
    • 2nd Grade
    • 3rd Grade
    • 4th Grade

We also started in the middle of first grade, and finished up to about Week 28. I plan to keep working through Level 1, and then head into Level 2. We will see how he does, but I am not set on getting Level 2 done by the end of Grade Two.

My older son is heading into Grade Four and will be at Week 8 or so of WWE3 in September. I am not in a rush to "catch" him up as I find Level 3 to be challenging enough. BTW, he is an excellent reader and writer.

I started FLL in first grade but didn't do any of the writing exercises. I started my son in WWE2 when he was in third (the program came out then). He just finished 5th grade and we are done with FLL and he finished WWE4 this year.

I am really happy I kept him 'back a year' with the writing. My son was one of those 'my hand will fall off!!!' kids. For first and second grade I did almost all his writing. Now, at the end of 5th grade, he is a great writer. I have no regrets.

I plan to follow the same patter with my first grader next year. We will start FLL in the autumn, but will hold off on WWE 1 until second grade.

We started in the middle of first grade, and did half of it. We'll finish it in 2nd grade. I'm glad we didn't start any sooner.

This would be a good plan - With my dd who started in 1st grade, sometimes we would skip weeks or go more slowly at times when difficulty increased, taking her more than a year to finish WWE1. Or even wait for 2nd grade to start. We did that with my oldest who was 2nd grade when it first became available. He will be doing WWS for 6th. It seems right on track for where he should be.

We started it last year in K and did about 2-3 weeks. I kept reading on here about how difficult it gets in 3 & 4, so we put it up. We're going to start it again this year (1st) since that is what Susan wrote it for and it is definitely age appropriate at this point, but we'll re-evaluate later if it gets too difficult over the next few years.

I started my DS8 on WWE1 at the beginning of 2nd grade. It was a really good fit and I plan to go on to WWE2 this coming year.

That said, I plan to start my DS6 on it this fall for 1st grade. He's ready.

If your child isn't ready for WWE3 in 3rd, the previous years' work will not have been wasted! :)

My oldest son was able to start WWE-1 in first grade, no problem. However, he was a fluent reader and LOVES anything to do with language arts, so it was no big deal. My second son, however, is NOT a language arts lover and is not a fluent reader, so we are waiting until he finishes OPG (sometime after starting 2nd grade, probably about 1/3 way through) before starting WWE-1. This is not because they "overlap" in content, but because I don't want to overwhelm the poor kid! He doesn't like writing either (the actual physical act of it), so I wanted to finish up his handwriting book before adding in WWE, too. HTH!

We did level one when Ariel was 5 and have skipped this year because she isn't ready for the dictation. We have been filling in (trying to step up to level 2) with OM2 and Winning with Writing 2 (or will, once it arrives). Once I think she can handle the dictation, we'll pick WWE up again.

We started halfway through first grade, since that's when we started homeschooling. My son is one whose hand would fall off, but by the end of the semester, he could copy 3 sentences with ease (not that WWE1 has you do that - we were also doing a lot of dictation in AAS on the white board, which majorly helped).

He's actually ready for WWE2, though we haven't quite finished 1. So we're finishing up 1 quickly, and then we'll start 2 6 weeks from now. He's ready for dictation as far as being able to hold the thought in his head. We'll see about how well he does when it's not spelling words though. I can give his spelling dictation sentences, only saying it once, and he'll remember it all no problem. I do worry that with real literature, he might freak out a bit over the not being able to spell everything, but since we can help with spelling, we'll probably be ok. He's started writing letters to folks, and I help him with spelling if he needs it, and he's gotten to where he is willing to try, or to ask for help if he knows he can't spell it. He's a perfectionist, so this has been huge improvement!

I'll start my next son in first grade most likely, or when he's 6... Whenever he is ready!