Menu

What is the going rate for babysitting?

Dd wants to start babysitting--she is 13 1/2. She will be CPR certified next month. I looked for a babysitting class, but it runs $90:blink:.

She has watched children at church--as young as 3months old. She is very good with kids and kids love her.

I was wondering how much she should charge an hour and if she should charge extra for more than one child?

I was thinking about $6.50 and $1.00 for each additional child.

I think it depends a lot on your area, the abundance of sitters, the social culture of the adults, etc.

:iagree:

My dd's alternate for the same family. They pay them $7 an hour. It's 3 kids aged 7-11. Then one of oldest dd's friends charged the same for 2 kids ages 18 mo and 3 yr.

I've paid $10/hr for my three to a responsible older teen.

I think it depends a lot on your area, the abundance of sitters, the social culture of the adults, etc.

Same here, but mine are 2, 6,and 9 and the $10 includes tip (I like round numbers) and I round up when there is a partial hour.

Some people have some pretty awesome arrangements here because I'm not sure I'd watch 4 kids for only $10. :)

No kidding! :tongue_smilie: I can't tell you how grateful I am for my current sitters. The trick is to find girls who are 14-16 years old and have younger siblings. They're old enough to have experience watching their own younger siblings, but they're young enough to still think $10/hr is tons of money.

No kidding! :tongue_smilie: I can't tell you how grateful I am for my current sitters. The trick is to find girls who are 14-16 years old and have younger siblings. They're old enough to have experience watching their own younger siblings, but they're young enough to still think $10/hr is tons of money.

I think $10 an hour is tons of money for babysitting. I would gladly babysit for that rate.

I think $10 an hour is tons of money for babysitting. I would gladly babysit for that rate.

:iagree: When I was babysitting (granted that was 15-20 years ago) it was 1 dollar/kid/hour. If I could get $10 per hour babysitting now, I'd seriously consider it. If your daughter can make $6.50+ an hour, that is great for her. I wouldn't pay that much but then I have only paid for babysitting twice since I've had kids.