Menu

Help me rethink my menu, please-- braces and allergies

Dd already has a restricted diet because of allergies, and I guess it's about to be restricted more. She wont be able to have some of the things she enjoys now like fritos.

So, she can't have pnuts/nuts, shellfish, soy, gluten, casein, chocolate, or kiwi. We're supposed to be really careful about beans too, with her having a couple allergies in that family already. A couple of her favorites right now are chili frito pie and tacos or taco salad. We eat a lot of rice, potatoes, eggs, hamburger, chicken, salads and fruit.

Help me think of some things she'll be able to eat

I had braces. The only things I couldn't eat were where I had to bite like corn on the cob or an apple. The problem was not that the braces would pop off, but that the food got sort of shredded inside the braces and didn't cut cleanly as teeth do.

When the braces were tightened (say, once a month) my teeth would be sore for a day or two, then fine. You might have to have soft food for those days but not permanently.

I had lots of friends and classmates with braces. The only one who ever had them 'pop off' was the one who removed them herself with a wrench.

That was me that posted the "no no" list the orthodontist gave us yesterday. It does say on there no Fritos, Cheetos, Doritos, tacos, etc. because they form a hard ball and can break the braces. I can see that. I also happened to eat all that stuff when I had braces and never had any problems. Same with all my nieces and nephews. Your ortho will probably give you his own "no no" list and those foods may not be on there. I'd ask his opinion. I find they all have different rules.

I think popcorn and corn chips are technically on the 'do not eat' list, but I eat them anyway. I also eat crunchy tacos. I just take small bites and chew thoroughly. It's not a big deal.

Apples, carrot sticks, corn on the cob, ice...those are the things that you don't want her chewing on.

All I remember is that most any kind of food got stuck. We had a Water Pik which shoots high pressure water into your mouth and removes bits and pieces. This was very helpful.

Other than this, stay away from crunchy peanut butter...at least I did.

Anything soft, i.e fish (can she have other fish if not shellfish?) , rice should be fine if there is still some tenderness or pain.