Menu

Need some help with dd3...(speech)

My 3.5 year old seems to be a bit behind when it comes to speaking. She is difficult for most people to understand. DW and I even need dd5 to translate her speech for us occasionally.

She has particular trouble with the "s" sound. "Yes" sounds like "yet." We try to get her to say Ssssssnake, and she can't.

Any ideas?

I'm not a speech pathologist, but I'm the mother of 4 children, all having had speech issues of some sort. That being said, I just thought I'd offer my .02.

The substitutions that she's making sound normal to me. I'm fairly certain that saying a "w" sound for the "l" sound is a common substitution. So, if there was anything amiss, it would be something mild. My youngest (born with cleft lip and cleft palate) was substituting sounds that were atypical, and so she had a speech disorder diagnosis for a period of time. If the substitutions are typical, but happening for longer than average, it is considered a speech delay.

As memory serves, your daughter doesn't seem delayed. I couldn't find my chart, but after a google search I did find the following.

p, m, h, n, w usually develop by age 3

b, k, g, d, f, y usually develop by age 4

t, ng, r, l usually develop by age 6

soft th usually develops by about 6 1/2

ch, sh, j usually develop by age 7

s, z, v, loud th, and zh usually develop by age 8

I would take her in if there is any doubt in your mind, because early intervention is crucial. But, I just wanted to help to put your mind at ease.

In any case, when speaking with your dd, just parrot back appropriate sounds, without much ado. I always repeat what was said, almost turning it into a question sometimes, while modeling the correct form.

I hope any of this helps!

I highly suggest a full evaluation. The school will do it free, though they won't help her unless it's really really bad (here, that means under the 7th percentile for age which is ridiculously low). But then you'll know what is up. Of course, you might pursue private speech also. We have private speech for all three preschoolers.

L is one of the easiest to remediate. It was the first one my son did at 3 through the school district (well, the therapist told ME and I taught him). I just did it with another 5 yr old (not the one in my signature). We used "la-la-land" rather than the L sound like on the Letter Factory. He did beautifully in no time.

There are instructions for most letters available online also. We were able to tweak what we were doing naturally based on some suggestions off those.

But I think it's good to get the evaluation though I like working with the kids myself (we do homework every day for our kids and they get two sessions per week. The progress for the older two has been great. The little one is a bit different because of other needs right now).

ASk your pediatrician for a referral to aspeech language pathologist that is in private practice. Although at her age depending on your area, early intervention can also provide speech services. By using a person in private practice we have learned that the therapy is higher quality and done with the child as an individual instead of group therapy as is typical in school settings.

ASk your pediatrician for a referral to aspeech language pathologist that is in private practice. Although at her age depending on your area, early intervention can also provide speech services. By using a person in private practice we have learned that the therapy is higher quality and done with the child as an individual instead of group therapy as is typical in school settings.

Not always true. My DD and her friend who is only a few months younger were both in speech therapy this past year. The friend went to a private practice that is supposed to be excellent; our insurance will not cover speech so we used the school system's speech program. We were pleased with our DD's progress and very happy with the school system's services. DD's friend ended up leaving the private group because they were seeing no progress.

I think it really depends on the school system in your area and on the school's attitude about homeschoolers.

:iagree: And it even depends on the SLP that you get assigned within the school district. Some are great, some aren't, just like anything else. Since it's free if you qualify, it's worth trying out to see if you get a great SLP. You can add private speech therapy too and you might want to shop around to find the best private practice for your child.

Depending on your state, hsers can access speech services once they reach school age. Preschoolers who don't qualify for special ed preschool also get walk-in speech. The only problem is if your dd would be assigned to special ed preschool to access speech. That should only happen if she has a lot of other issues, but that's a whole 'nother story.

:iagree: And it even depends on the SLP that you get assigned within the school district. Some are great, some aren't, just like anything else. Since it's free if you qualify, it's worth trying out to see if you get a great SLP. You can add private speech therapy too and you might want to shop around to find the best private practice for your child.

Depending on your state, hsers can access speech services once they reach school age. Preschoolers who don't qualify for special ed preschool also get walk-in speech. The only problem is if your dd would be assigned to special ed preschool to access speech. That should only happen if she has a lot of other issues, but that's a whole 'nother story.

:iagree: It will also depend on your child's needs. I had one child go through the school system and aged out at 3. She hasn't had any residual issues. We were thrilled with the services we got.

My ds5 is currently in the school system for speech and we are also paying for private (PROMPT) becuase he has a diagnosis of apraxia/dyspraxia. The school system has been less successful due to my child's diagnosis.

Anyway, OP, if you think there's a problem -- definitely get an evaluation sooner than later.

A general rule of thumb I was told by my son's speech pathologist-

for every year of life up to age for - use that as the percentage a stranger should be able to understand.

So - bu 2 - a stranger should be able to understand 50% of anything your child is able to say. By 3 -75%.

If this isn't the case, then an evaluation needs to be done asap.

My dd has a tongue thrust "s" lisp and doesn't pronounce her r's.

We had her evaluated at a private practice at 3 1/2 and everything was within developmental limits. I don't remember how much the evaluation was..... Under $100. We had her evaluated, at 5, at a university speech path program and she was now officially behind. So, we pay out-of-pocket.

We did not try the school. A friend had her son evaluated in April. He doesn't qualify right now. But, if she will wait until August with no intervention, he would qualify. He's not quite far enough behind at his current age, but for the next grade, he would be far enough behind to qualify. I can barely understand him and he's 5 1/2.