Menu

Considering putting my kiddos in public school.... any experiences?

So, here's the deal, i have 7dc, my youngest are boy twins who will be 2 at the end of July, and one is probably autistic, at any rate he is developmentally delayed by at least 35% in everything, and he's an extreme handful. He gets therapy 4x a week, and this school year has been a complete bomb. My 12yo who is learning disabled (writing and math) has THRIVED going to PS half days and we are considering bumping him up to full time in the STEM program at our local middle school. My upcoming K and 2nd grader are already enrolled in elementary school, so that leaves, not counting the babies, my 10 and 16 year old, which i'm actually considering PSing too, namely because i think they'd be INCREDIBLY lonely without all the others here!!! I prefer homeschooling, i think that overall its a better choice for us, but i think that circumstances just sort of make it hard to manage right now. I'm only *ONE* person, yk?? So i'm thinking of giving it a shot.

My primary consideration is 1. worldview, we are conservative Christians and i do NOT like giving up that control and authority 2. character issues- i'm concerned about what might pop up with this change in environment.

Do any of you have any experience in this, or have you noticed a non-favorable change in your children when you went from hsing to psing?

Thanks,

REbecca

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: No advice as dd will start in the fall, but :grouphug::grouphug:. How is the program at your PS? I wasn't willing to send dd to public school but she got into a charter that looks fabulous so we're trying that for next year. I think if a PS is really strong academically & can provide what your kids need at their level, that's great! I figure teaching the religious worldview is my job so I'm not too fussed about that, honestly. I end up using secular curricula & adding it in myself even when we do HS, lol.

aww... thank you!!! i SO need those hugs! i feel like my whole WORLD is falling apart... i've hs'd the last 11 years.. i have NO idea what i'll do with myself when i'm not THAT anymore, kwim??

I'm honestly not all that worried about academics... i fully plan to supplement, particularily Bible, critical thinking, and continue to have a learning lifestyle at home. However, i really really really prefer to teach everything from a Christian perspective, so the whole going all secular thing- not cool with that... however... things are already so wonky here that our family cohesiveness is really suffering, I think it will be an improvement- i think its the right thing- but i'm NOT happy about it!!!!

Have you considered talking to your kids about it? Doing that might help right there. First, I would see if I could delegate any jobs that you are doing to get some help there. Could your older children do more to help your out? Maybe have older to younger school budies so the older ones could teach the younger ones a little bit of their lessons. Could your 16 year old take your son to therapy sometimes? If that isn't working enough, I would talk to the children either as a group or individually and see if any of them want to switch to ps or if any of them are really against it. That could help you know which ones to send to ps or keep home. Also, I would check to see if there are any other parents who have your same values that would be interested in a homeschooling co-op. Maybe you could form your own little school that way and have other hs Moms to take some of the teaching work away from you. I hope something here helps you, but above all, remember that God understands what you are going through. I'm pretty sure that sending them to ps would make for more effort on your part to teach them your values because of the different things they'd be coming into contact with, but it's not like you were going to stop teaching them things anyway. If you end up putting them all in ps, you are still going to be the same Mom that will show your children God through who you are. Our children often forget the lessons we teach them as they grow older, but they never forget who we are so by just being a Godly woman, you are showing your children how to live everyday and going to a ps isn't going to change that. Hugs!

We haven't gone that way but I've gone the opposite- ps to homeschool. We HATED the schools here in VA (been here two years) but LOVED them in MI. If we could magically move back to MI and I put them back in school, I feel like we'd be losing some of the family togetherness/bond that homeschooling has brought us. But this is me. I'm not saying this would happen to you. You have to do what's just right for your family.

We are also conservative Christians and it occurred to me about a year ago that my children will likely not ever go back to ps. I just don't think I could give them back to be taught whatever the district deems is good. The attitudes the district holds will be really important. In our MI district, one of our church deacon's wives was on the school board, our schools had a LOT of Christian teachers, and a very child-centered curriculum, family inclusive environment. Our district in VA was not good. They wanted me to hand over my child, I wasn't ALLOWED in the building without expressed permission and even so, they still called the teacher to "warn her" I was coming- what's up w/that?!

I do have a friend who was having a hard time getting her kids to do their work in a timely fashion and put them in for a year and ended up going back to homeschooling. She said that it felt like she was still homeschooling at the end of the day (going over all assignments, reteaching) that it just made more sense to keep them home.

In the end, if you and your husband feel like it's the best choice, do it. You can always pull them mid-year if you feel like it's not working. I'll be praying for your decision! :)

My boys started at private school last autumn. They have certainly come across some things that I would not have taught them, but they already have a pretty strong idea of the important things in life, and are taking the good and leaving the bad.

Laura

So, here's the deal, i have 7dc, my youngest are boy twins who will be 2 at the end of July, and one is probably autistic, at any rate he is developmentally delayed by at least 35% in everything, and he's an extreme handful. He gets therapy 4x a week, and this school year has been a complete bomb. My 12yo who is learning disabled (writing and math) has THRIVED going to PS half days and we are considering bumping him up to full time in the STEM program at our local middle school. My upcoming K and 2nd grader are already enrolled in elementary school, so that leaves, not counting the babies, my 10 and 16 year old, which i'm actually considering PSing too, namely because i think they'd be INCREDIBLY lonely without all the others here!!! I prefer homeschooling, i think that overall its a better choice for us, but i think that circumstances just sort of make it hard to manage right now. I'm only *ONE* person, yk?? So i'm thinking of giving it a shot.

My primary consideration is 1. worldview, we are conservative Christians and i do NOT like giving up that control and authority 2. character issues- i'm concerned about what might pop up with this change in environment.

Do any of you have any experience in this, or have you noticed a non-favorable change in your children when you went from hsing to psing?

Thanks,

REbecca

Good luck with all of your kiddos!

I just wanted to point out that most people don't go into teaching because of the money. 99% of teachers are educators because they love children and really care about helping them become kind, caring human beings who are prepared for whatever life throws at them. So if you do choose ps, you will most likely be introducing extra adults into your kids' lives, who love them and help them.

Full disclaimer... I'm a former elementary school teacher myself! http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/

I just wanted to point out that most people don't go into teaching because of the money. 99% of teachers are educators because they love children and really care about helping them become kind, caring human beings who are prepared for whatever life throws at them. So if you do choose ps, you will most likely be introducing extra adults into your kids' lives, who love them and help them.

Full disclaimer... I'm a former elementary school teacher myself! http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/

VERY good point. And i'll say that this year, i've had only stellar experiences with my son's middle school, and its only a rated 4 in the great schools index school! (elem is 8!!)

A friend of mine was able to get their autistic child into a public school program for preschoolers that covered the therapy and other issues. That way he was getting what he needed for half a day while she focused on the other children. She may have had to pay something for it if I remember correctly, but logistically it worked out far better than having to run him around, the cost was reasonable, and what he got out of it was worthwhile. When he became school age, he continued into special kindergarten in the public school.

A friend of mine was able to get their autistic child into a public school program for preschoolers that covered the therapy and other issues. That way he was getting what he needed for half a day while she focused on the other children. She may have had to pay something for it if I remember correctly, but logistically it worked out far better than having to run him around, the cost was reasonable, and what he got out of it was worthwhile. When he became school age, he continued into special kindergarten in the public school.

YEP! my oldest has aspergers and he went to PS preschool, and it worked out great. Its free for the disabled child, and i'm hoping I can afford to send his twin as a normally functioning peer. He would need to be paid for, but its so good for both of them... Ash is really blessed to HAVE a constant normally functioning peer, but anyway... yep, when they are 3, the school year after this one, we can do that.

Rebecca, I have so been there... but with only 5. ;) Having toddlers added to the mix absolutely makes homeschooling all the more - um - challenging. ;)

Wish I had a good answer for you. We have had the kids in schools at various times even when they weren't top schools. When Shawn was in Iraq I had 3 of the older 4 in school - only had one to homeschool and he's my easy homeschooler (Nate). He's the only one who hasn't been to a public school. Our experiences at all the schools my kids have attended have been fine, nothing stellar, but also nothing really bad. And for a time it served what I needed - to clear my plate a little bit.

However, with sending kids to school come different things to work with... dealing with the 'system' because it will always be one thing or another. And to be honest, sometimes the 'system' can really be more hassle (and I know you - lol). Paperwork is HUGE and never ending, from homework, to art projects to permission slips to lunch tickets to a multitude of paperwork that comes home with each child about every little thing that is happening in the shcool. (the paperwork about sent me over the edge - lol)

Anyway, I read your post, and wanted to send you a big ole hug. Really wish I could hug you in person and maybe plan some things to do together to help lighten the load and give our kids the social outlet while learning together.

Rebecca, I have so been there... but with only 5. ;) Having toddlers added to the mix absolutely makes homeschooling all the more - um - challenging. ;)

Wish I had a good answer for you. We have had the kids in schools at various times even when they weren't top schools. When Shawn was in Iraq I had 3 of the older 4 in school - only had one to homeschool and he's my easy homeschooler (Nate). He's the only one who hasn't been to a public school. Our experiences at all the schools my kids have attended have been fine, nothing stellar, but also nothing really bad. And for a time it served what I needed - to clear my plate a little bit.

However, with sending kids to school come different things to work with... dealing with the 'system' because it will always be one thing or another. And to be honest, sometimes the 'system' can really be more hassle (and I know you - lol). Paperwork is HUGE and never ending, from homework, to art projects to permission slips to lunch tickets to a multitude of paperwork that comes home with each child about every little thing that is happening in the shcool. (the paperwork about sent me over the edge - lol)

Anyway, I read your post, and wanted to send you a big ole hug. Really wish I could hug you in person and maybe plan some things to do together to help lighten the load and give our kids the social outlet while learning together.

Aww... thanks heather! love you to pieces!!! i know where you are coming from. Nik went to PS for half of the day this year, and it is different issues. I'm hoping the homework situation doesn't become unmanageable. I might just sic dh with homework helping.

I hope to go back to homeschooling as soon as I can- I have been crying either in my head or outside my head nonstop since we decided for sure to send them all to school. I hate it. I don't want to do it, but i know it must be done. And it isn't permanent. that helps. but i am still having a REALLY hard time about it. and it bugs me that everyone i've told has said GOOD! about it and my kids are thrilled. All except Alex. My identity is all wrapped up in this though, i feel like i just got fired. this has been my last 11 years.

Sounds like you really have your hands full. Even if you make a decision and it doesn't work out, you can always make a different decision.

Here is an idea that might work though. Assign each of the older children to a younger child. The older one teaches and plays with the younger one. One-on-one.

I think it is actually beneficial to both. The younger one gets individual attention and the older one learns to be responsible. So many children today learn to be irresponsible and just hang out with their peers.

The older ones can have an allotted time when they do their own work, but for most of the day, they are responsible for taking care of the younger ones.

This will free you up, so you don't have to deal with so many children all at once. You have "employees" who share in the work.

A ten year old is old enough to take care of a toddler, and a 16 yr. old is old enough to take care of several younger children. Many large homeschool families operate this way, with the older ones mothering the younger ones and the mom is directing traffic, managing the whole operation. It's not easy, but it is doable.

You know your children and your situation best, so you are in the best position to decide.

Anyway, best wishes to you and your family.

Aww... thanks heather! love you to pieces!!! i know where you are coming from. Nik went to PS for half of the day this year, and it is different issues. I'm hoping the homework situation doesn't become unmanageable. I might just sic dh with homework helping.

I hope to go back to homeschooling as soon as I can- I have been crying either in my head or outside my head nonstop since we decided for sure to send them all to school. I hate it. I don't want to do it, but i know it must be done. And it isn't permanent. that helps. but i am still having a REALLY hard time about it. and it bugs me that everyone i've told has said GOOD! about it and my kids are thrilled. All except Alex. My identity is all wrapped up in this though, i feel like i just got fired. this has been my last 11 years.

Bec, I so understand that feeling. And if they aren't above their peers in one or more area then it feels like a personal failure, too. :/ I totally understand that.

If you aren't willing to give it all up, maybe one at home would still be ok and more manageable? Nathan still talks about the half a school year when he was the only one at home and the others went to school. We really had some good heart moments and it's so nice to know that he really remembers that time fondly. And... having only him at home where we could do what we felt we wanted/needed was so beneficial to my own sanity, too. Of course, you have the twins... and this may just be the perfect time to spend doting on them. <3

Thanks Heather! yeah, i'm afraid if i keep just Chloe home, who would be the most logical choice- i would be way too tempted to put her on baby duty too much.... its going to be difficult to be home alone with the twins but i think having her away might be better for HER. Plus it will expand their sphere of supportive adults.. its all good. I'm becoming slightly more ok with the idea... i will ABSOLUTELY be afterschooling though!

Thanks Heather! yeah, i'm afraid if i keep just Chloe home, who would be the most logical choice- i would be way too tempted to put her on baby duty too much.... its going to be difficult to be home alone with the twins but i think having her away might be better for HER. Plus it will expand their sphere of supportive adults.. its all good. I'm becoming slightly more ok with the idea... i will ABSOLUTELY be afterschooling though!

Just wanted to say that you are a good mom! You are doing what you think is best for your kiddos even if it is not what YOU want! :grouphug:'s to you also because my middle dd is heading off to public high school this year, so I feel your pain! My dd is also very excited! She just really wants to get involved with so many of the extracurricular activities that her friends are involved in. Good Luck and just keep praying for good choices to be made!

Thanks,

REbecca

Both my girls are doing great in school. My middle one, 10, has aspergers. All 3 asked to go to school a couple years back. I bought the uniforms and got everyone in. Within a week my aspergers baby asked me to come home. I worked with her and had to spend time teaching her to relax. Looking back it was a good choice. She deals with lots of new challenges in school but I am glad she is learning to adapt. She has encountered days that I want to run and bring her home...but I try and vent at home. She is now in a small private school and doing great. It is hard as a parent to sit back and watch your kids deal with the different challenges of school. I guess it goes for all 3 of my kids...but she is the one that I watch the closest.

My 8 yo is doing fine. My 15 yo is coming back home next year. The school system here doesnt have time to work with him (as they told me) and they recommend him coming home to home school. He did very well at home. Having one child home was very different then all 3. (he was home all middle school)

I have found I volunteer a lot in the classroom and it is a huge help.

As far as being a Conservative Christian...I have encountered handfuls of issues (even in our Catholic School) but it is WONDERFUL to hear my kids tell me about it because I realize they recognize right from wrong and even point them out to me! That opens a conversation on dealing with these issues.

just my little view:001_smile: