Menu

I am dreaming of Dancing Bears and Apples and Pears

I am thinking of using this next year.:) Can someone give me an overview of it? I have looked at the website. How do I decide between Bear necessities and FastTrack AB? He can read on a pretty solid 2nd grade level, but handwriting is waaaay below that. I just wanted to hear others opinions on these programs and how they work in your home? Also, is there any other place to order them that is cheaper? Thanks :)

On their website, click on "where to start with reading" for information about each book. Also, it says on their site that if a child can read the following sentence without any errors, start with Fast Track:

"Our teacher is waiting for us in the hall"

My ds8 has really improved in reading this year. I was impressed with his progress. Then I decided to give Fast Track and Apples and Pears spelling a try based on reviews. I can't believe how difficult Fast Track has been for him. It makes me realize that he might be memorizing words, but can't decode phonetically. We are going to have him assessed for dyslexia. We are taking a break from Fast Track (it really makes him upset), but have been continuing with Apples and Pears.

Good luck!!

I am thinking of using this next year.:) Can someone give me an overview of it? I have looked at the website. How do I decide between Bear necessities and FastTrack AB? He can read on a pretty solid 2nd grade level, but handwriting is waaaay below that. I just wanted to hear others opinions on these programs and how they work in your home? Also, is there any other place to order them that is cheaper? Thanks :)

The Dancing Bear doesn't have much handwriting. She's had to circle a few words, but that's about it. It's mostly reading. Fast Track does move quite fast. What is your son's frustration level? If he's frustrated easily I'd recommend the slower route, but if he enjoys a challenge and doesn't mind repeating pages when he doesn't quite have it down then he'd probably handle fast track.

Apples and Pears Spelling A assumes the children don't write well. :001_smile: Both programs have been a godsend for my daughter.

My ds8 has really improved in reading this year. I was impressed with his progress. Then I decided to give Fast Track and Apples and Pears spelling a try based on reviews. I can't believe how difficult Fast Track has been for him. It makes me realize that he might be memorizing words, but can't decode phonetically. We are going to have him assessed for dyslexia. We are taking a break from Fast Track (it really makes him upset), but have been continuing with Apples and Pears.

Good luck!!

I do not do phonics-based reading instruction right now with my son, but we have finished A&P A and are on lesson 22 of B. The way A&P teaches spelling is has helped my son's reading enormously. He is much better at seeing words as groups of morphemes, and can read multi-syllable words much better. He'd been kind of stuck at a ~2nd grade reading level, and has already jumped to somewhere between 4th and 5th - all in the ~6 months we have been doing Apples and Pears. I hope you too find that the spelling books improve reading, and then Fast Track won't be so overwhelming when you try it again.

I do not do phonics-based reading instruction right now with my son, but we have finished A&P A and are on lesson 22 of B. The way A&P teaches spelling is has helped my son's reading enormously. He is much better at seeing words as groups of morphemes, and can read multi-syllable words much better. He'd been kind of stuck at a ~2nd grade reading level, and has already jumped to somewhere between 4th and 5th - all in the ~6 months we have been doing Apples and Pears. I hope you too find that the spelling books improve reading, and then Fast Track won't be so overwhelming when you try it again.

That is awesome!!! This is exactly where we are. Stuck in 2nd. I hope our experience is a great as yours. :)

I think it teaches it. I am not sure totally what you mean but my daughter couldn't rhyme, and do lots of other "phonemic readiness" skills but she learn to read with the I see Sam books and spell with the Apples and Pears books. They break it down into tiny little steps that they do learn it.