Menu

Help me figure out how to make this work

ktgrok

I've posted before that my aspie rising 6th grader does NOT want to be homeschooled next year. That said, the only thing he found even slightly interesting at the FPEA conference was the Homeschool Tech booth. So dh, who is a network engineer agreed to sign him up for their computer science class (at a 50% discount as a Beta tester, which is awesome). Anyway, so he will be learning computer science and actually building a computer. We need a new computer for the living room anyway, so he is very excited that he will be creating something we need. So this is a good thing. My only issue is that I feel I also need to work in some other basic science stuff. I feel that in 6th grade his only science can't be computer science. Am I right about that?

If so, how do I sneak in the extra science without bogging him down? He's smart, very smart, so he doesn't need a lot of work to pick things up. Can I just do some books, documentaries, and Brain Pop? Oh, and I bought the Thames and Kosmos Milestones in Science kit before we went to the conference, so I have that. I'm thinking maybe do some experiements with that over the summer, make sure he understands the scientific method well, and then let him focus on computer science during the school year???

I don't want to ruin the little enthusiasm he has, but I also don't want to neglect his education. He says he hates science, but he loves going to the science center (we have family passes), watching myth busters and animal planet, etc. And he retains everything he watches on documentaries and such.

Any thoughts?

I really wouldn't worry too much about what he says at this point! Many, many times, the words out of their mouths just don't reflect (a) what they really think/feel or (b) good sense.

I think he certainly could just do computer science! That's a great idea - it's something he's excited about, it's useful, it's educational - Win, Win, Win!!!

You can add in those extra things you mentioned if you want, but I don't think you absolutely have to.

Anne

Guest Dulcimeramy

I would let him just do computer science this year. I might not say the same for eighth to twelfth grades, but IMVHO you have some leeway time at this stage!

Far, far more important at this very moment to help him love homeschooling and feel as if he has some input into his studies. He'll be maturing over the next year, becoming a little more disciplined, a little more able to see cause-and-effect...if you have to hit him with something tedious do it next year.

Besides, what he's doing is much more than nothing. He's actually going to build a computer! Worthwhile use of a 6th grader's science time, I think.

Are you able to visit any places that have a science/technology focus to help inspire him? Chicago or Washington museums, Air Force museum in Ohio...

So, I can let him do this and I won't ruin his science education forever? I'm joking, but I am finding it hard to "let go" and let him do this. What is funny is once upon a time I thought I would be an unschooler, lol.

I would be a lousy unschooler.

So, I can let him do this and I won't ruin his science education forever? I'm joking, but I am finding it hard to "let go" and let him do this. What is funny is once upon a time I thought I would be an unschooler, lol.

I would be a lousy unschooler.

Dealing with an aspie here as well. I say you go for it. Let's say that you did no other science at all next year...that still leaves grades 7-12 for any biology, chemistry, physics, earth/space science, even a year for a second dose of any of the above.

This is one of his intense interests and very much arguably useful and educational. Sounds like a win/win to me!

:)

Guest Dulcimeramy

I think that not only will this not ruin him, but it may make him more likely to succeed in the future.

My possibly-on-the-spectrum child thought he hated science until he got a chance to learn more about technology at age 12. He was dabbling in aerospace education, computer-aided flight programs, and computer-aided drafting. I thought his enjoyment of these things was the breakthrough, but it wasn't. The real breakthrough was when I 'made' him study microscopy after that (with SL science 4), and he saw that there is technology in biology. He became totally fascinated by cell activity.

Now he is considering becoming a microbiologist. True story! (He's one year older than your son. Turning 13 this month.)

I'm going to disagree and say that I don't think computer science is a good idea for their only science in 6th grade.

I'm hard-core interst driven science for my kids. They don't use textbooks and read whatever topics they want to for the most part. That said, I do want elementary level and middle school sciences to help build a strong foundation for upper level experiment/lab sciences (copying and pasting it from advanced diploma requirements here: courses completed to satisfy this requirement shall include course selections from at least three different science disciplines from among: earth sciences, biology, chemistry or physics)

I don't restrict their reading to only those topics for sure. But, I do try to encourage some variety. I have had kids focus on some out of the norm topic for 3-4 months (ornithology, the chemistry of cooking, electricity, etc), but they do move on to more traditional topics as well.

Computer science is sort of that gray area. It is technology, it is math (will he be learning programming?), etc. But, it really doesn't fit the mold for lab science.

Since I am all for interest-driven science, I guess it seems strange that I am the one to think he really should do more.

I struggled with letting my dc focus on only one topic for science this past year so I went over to the highschool board and did some searching. It wasn't the complete consensus but there were a lot of parents who said not to sweat it. They said that most highschool science courses start out with the assumption that there is little to no prior knowledge of the topic. I started searching through highschool science texts and its true. Most of the ones I looked through start with the most basic of science information.

If you are concerned about it though could you maybe create a list of documentaries that he could watch throughout the year that would give him exposure to other aspects of science. Most of one of my dc's science knowledge comes from all the documentaries she watches (and she actually retains more from them than she does from books).

Another option would be to look at Galore Parks Science (So You Really Want to Learn Science) There are 2 books that you can use during middle school (6th-8th). Each book covers all science topics in the course of the year instead of focusing on Biology for one year, Physics for one...you get the picture. This could give your son a good overview of all the science topics over the coarse of the next three years and probably still give him plenty of time to pursue more specific interests. Note though that I haven't actually used GP yet but I've read really great reviews and my dc will be able to move through the books without having to wait on me for lectures, gathering supplies, setting up experiments...they don't like to wait on me when it comes learning about science.

My girls loved focusing on one topic for science for each semester and we plan to do that again next year. They are both going to be doing the Galore Park also (my oldest will probably go through it very quickly though since she already has a lot of science background) in addition to library books of their choosing and lots of documentaries. The library books and documentaries are something they do on their own time though so I don't have to schedule or monitor those.

I struggled with letting my dc focus on only one topic for science this past year so I went over to the highschool board and did some searching. It wasn't the complete consensus but there were a lot of parents who said not to sweat it. They said that most highschool science courses start out with the assumption that there is little to no prior knowledge of the topic. I started searching through highschool science texts and its true. Most of the ones I looked through start with the most basic of science information.

Oh, I agree with this completely. I guess my objection is more along the lines of "Is computer science science?" I think that the answer is not a clear answer in either direction. There are arguments both ways. However, "is computer science appropriate as a science for middle school?" I think has more specific questions that can be asked that may lead to the answer no.

I guess it really depends on what you want to consider it. I personally would call it a technology course at a 6th grade level, not science. Then, whether or not you need a "science" is, well, dependent. In my state, it would be a problem. In others, maybe not.

I'm going to disagree and say that I don't think computer science is a good idea for their only science in 6th grade.

I'm hard-core interst driven science for my kids. They don't use textbooks and read whatever topics they want to for the most part. That said, I do want elementary level and middle school sciences to help build a strong foundation for upper level experiment/lab sciences (copying and pasting it from advanced diploma requirements here: courses completed to satisfy this requirement shall include course selections from at least three different science disciplines from among: earth sciences, biology, chemistry or physics)

I don't restrict their reading to only those topics for sure. But, I do try to encourage some variety. I have had kids focus on some out of the norm topic for 3-4 months (ornithology, the chemistry of cooking, electricity, etc), but they do move on to more traditional topics as well.

Computer science is sort of that gray area. It is technology, it is math (will he be learning programming?), etc. But, it really doesn't fit the mold for lab science.

Since I am all for interest-driven science, I guess it seems strange that I am the one to think he really should do more.

Ok, well, do you think adding in the experiments and projects from Milestones in Science, the Thames and Kosmos kit, would give him enough extra stuff? We could do that pretty easily I think. Plus he loves Nova documentaries and such.

My public school only had minimal science in sixth grade, half a year of science in seventh grade, and a full year of science in eighth grade. I went to a top-10 private university and majored in Physics. I vote for letting him explore computer science this year. (And maybe some trips to the science center.)

Emily

Ok, well, do you think adding in the experiments and projects from Milestones in Science, the Thames and Kosmos kit, would give him enough extra stuff? We could do that pretty easily I think. Plus he loves Nova documentaries and such.

I'm sorry; I didn't see this earlier. Have you made your decision already?

I don't have any knowledge of anything you listed. I'm also not a huge experiment-oriented science teacher at the younger ages. They just read, read, read, and they observe, experiment, play around with science constantly on their own.

I think that exposing him to multiple science topics, instilling a sense of awe and love, etc are the main goals of 6th/7th grade science. It doesn't need to take a lot of time or a lot of prep work. Reading 30 mins/day, etc, watching science documentaries, etc are wonderful ways to fulfill that goal.