Menu

www.liveonlinemath.com W/John Bovey

Does anyone have any experience with this online math provider? His name is John Bovey. He offers pre-pre-algebra, pre-algebra, algebra 1, geometry, and algebra 2.

We've been using Jann in TX for the past two years. My son requests Jann EVERY year and no longer hates math. Jann has been a blessing to our home-educating endeavor. Our plans were to go with Jann again next year, but.....

someone mentioned John Bovey's online classes and me and my nosy self just had to go take a look. It all looks good, but I have to say that I prefer the texts that Jann uses. The only thing that intrigues me is that Bovey offers online class meetings three times a week (as opposed to Jann's once/week). I think 3 class meetings a week would be more beneficial to my sons.

I KNOW that my 11th grade son will prefer Jann. He responds better to women teachers and not only is he comfortable with Jann; he likes her. This son is very reserved and takes a while to warm up to anyone. So far, he hasn't liked ANY of his male online teachers (although he's never complained about any of his male co-op teachers).

My 8th grade son has never taken any online classes and is more outgoing than my older son. I don't think he has a gender preference when it comes to teachers. I do know that if he had his druthers, he wouldn't do school at all. :) Ugghh! That child. He's very bright, but...

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience (positive or negative) with John Bovey and his online classes.

:bigear: anyone?

Mr. Bovey called last night (left a message) to answer the questions that I had left on his website. He called back this morning and I was able to speak with him.

Is there ANYONE who has experience with this math provider?

I don't personally *know* John Bovey, nor do I know anything about his online math programs. However, I believe he is in our hometown (Spokane; in fact 15min from my house I think he has his offices where I think he may possibly also offer in-person tutoring). Also, our homeschool group chair has been sending out his info to us for a year or two or more?

So, very little help. But, seems legit.

Lisaj

Lisaj for your response. I was looking more for opinions on the actual classes (quality of texts, workload, how teacher meshes with students, etc.).

I've been researching the texts that this guys uses and I'm finding mixed reviews (mostly bad) on the Algebra I texts.

I'm thinking we are going to play it safe and stay with JanninTX. If it aint broke, don't fix it, right?

Val

Lisaj for your response. I was looking more for opinions on the actual classes (quality of texts, workload, how teacher meshes with students, etc.).

I've been researching the texts that this guys uses and I'm finding mixed reviews (mostly bad) on the Algebra I texts.

I'm thinking we are going to play it safe and stay with JanninTX. If it aint broke, don't fix it, right?

Val

I am also looking at this and saw the text reviews. I love the Lial texts so this was a concern. When I asked Mr. Bovey about this, he said that the class is not based on the text. The text is used only for homework assignments. He has personally worked all of the problems (and I think provides answer sheets) so he really stressed that the course would have nothing to do the the book. Since it's 3 times/week, it is he who is doing the presenting of actual lessons. HTH

A member of another forum had this to say about John Bovey...

"We did the 2-week trial for pre-algebra last fall. We ended up deciding not to use it -- but only because we already had a pre-algebra program bought and paid for that was working alright, and we were already well into it so there would be too much repetition if we did the class, etc. We actually LOVED the classes. And so we decided to keep doing our other pre-algebra program, but that next year (which will be this fall) we'll use his algebra course.

Before this year, he had two options -- the full class, which is I think 3x/week, or the independent video-based course. Pre-algebra was a new course for him last fall, so he was using a different method, he wanted to work on the videos and test things out with the kids, so it was the video-based course which the kids do independently, but also once a week classes to work together, go over things that confused them, etc etc. I thought it was fantastic and told him so. I guess he got more positive feedback too, because this year he's offering this option for several of the classes. It's great because it requires less scheduled commitment to the online classes than the full class option does... you still work independently (though with specific homework) for the week between classes. But you also get the benefits of the classes -- time with the teacher, time with the other kids, etc. It's also priced in between the other 2 options.

The interface for the online classes really impressed me. All the kids need microphones and they can actually talk to each other and to the teacher (he controls who's muted and who's 'live' so there's no cacophony heh). He can also break them off into groups -- private rooms where a few kids can talk to each other to work on an assigned problem, and they can all use the shared software to show each other answers too. It was really cool.

I don't personally know anyone else who has used his classes, and my experience is admittedly limited to just the 2-week trial, but yes, with what info I have I would recommend it. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the instruction -- really great examples and analogies that kids understand, and the videos are FUNNY. He's very friendly and good with the kids too. I wasn't expecting it based on the "infomercial" vibe I got from his self-promotion... but darn it, I was impressed!"

Katie

Val - I knew I couldn't offer much help, but since I had heard of mathonline, and I didn't see you getting any replies, I thought I'd offer what I knew.

Also, maybe Mr. Bovey has some people you could email for feedback/results? I would just assume that 3x a week classes would be much better for most algebra students.

Lisa J

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this... Mr. Bovey has actually updated his website stressing that the text is not a part of any lessons. The internet class is a stand alone class. He only uses the text for homework assignments and even that he has revised, reworking all of the problems and reordering the assignments into a spiral review similar to Saxon.

I'm impressed with what I've seen in the trial as well as the open house. I also love the 3 day/week format when it comes to math. We are going to give it a try.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest AnnWink

My son took the LiveOnlineMath Algebra Video course. He LOVED it. We were able to view the lessons on our schedule, the flexibility was a perfect fit for us, and it was cheaper. It turns out, my son actually kept AHEAD of Mr. Bovey's regular Algebra course! The material was rigorous, yet presented in a fun and simplified manner. Yes, his lessons have great humorous bits scattered throughout, but it didn't seem to be too much. Also, the book really only is to supply homework problems, however, it was nice to have more information on difficult topics. In the end, when we sent our son to a private high school this year, he tested into an honors level math course. Hope this helps!

My original post was for the beginning of 2011-12 school year. We had used MyHomeschoolMathClass for my older ds and he liked it. I was looking for my younger ds, as he has a different learning style, so I wasn't sure that Jann would work for him. We ended up using MyHomeschoolMathClass and I don't regret it one single bit. Even though we hit rough patches, Jann is always there to give ds the individual attention that he needs to continue to progress. I'm not sure I'd get that anywhere else. I'm not sure I want to give that up. :D

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

My daughter did Geometry with him a couple of years ago.  He was extremely helpful, and called to speak with us personally a few times when she was struggling.  We ended up not using him again, but only because the online class format just wasn't working for my dd.  She had math struggles every year, and just needed more mom help and a flexible schedule.  I would recommend his classes though.  

• Like 1

We haven't used the math classes but we did use them for online tutoring for Calculus.  John handled finding us a tutor that fit my son's style.   Everything seemed to work fine. We used them for two years and he finished up with AP Calculus with a  5 on the test.Always professional and always concerned with making sure the sessions were working for us.