Menu

Voluntary Simplicity Lifestyle

The story reminds me of two things: First, the early colonists who came to America with plenty of knowledge of certain things but not a clue as to how to go about living in "a wilderness". Second, I'm remembering a show -- a cable reality t.v. somethingorother, the name or producer of which escapes me just now. It was about two or more families who were presented with the task of surviving one year as pioneers. As I recall, the "winner" came down to whomever chopped the most wood.

What these people are embarking on is not trivial, but I'm not gathering from the article that they really get that. They don't seem to have given themselves any time to experiement with the realities of this situation beforehand, to learn anything about what they will need to know. Have they learned to hunt? Raise a garden (there is that one picture on the website)? Live off the grid while still having access to the grid?

I admire their pluck, but I'm thinking they're in for a horking big learning curve that may just send them screaming for the 'burbs.

I hope not. I really hope they make it.

The story reminds me of two things: First, the early colonists who came to America with plenty of knowledge of certain things but not a clue as to how to go about living in "a wilderness". Second, I'm remembering a show -- a cable reality t.v. somethingorother, the name or producer of which escapes me just now. It was about two or more families who were presented with the task of surviving one year as pioneers. As I recall, the "winner" came down to whomever chopped the most wood.

What these people are embarking on is not trivial, but I'm not gathering from the article that they really get that. They don't seem to have given themselves any time to experiement with the realities of this situation beforehand, to learn anything about what they will need to know. Have they learned to hunt? Raise a garden (there is that one picture on the website)? Live off the grid while still having access to the grid?

I admire their pluck, but I'm thinking they're in for a horking big learning curve that may just send them screaming for the 'burbs.

I hope not. I really hope they make it.

Yeah, that's what I got. What I thought of was Fruitlands and Bronson Alcott etc where they got rid of all their material possessions to live on the self-sufficient commune... of course none of them had ever grown so much as a tomato plant so Bronson's poor daughter had to support the family by writing. But the early pioneers are an equally good example.

I'm all for a self-sufficient lifestyle, but it's a little unclear what these people want, or have any idea what they're getting: their moving to a house with no electricity and the guy hopes there's internet access? Hmmm.

The story reminds me of two things: First, the early colonists who came to America with plenty of knowledge of certain things but not a clue as to how to go about living in "a wilderness".

And then over half proceeded to expire (to further your point). Ah well, they're young and idealistic. They probably have at least as much chance of making it as they do of failing.

Barb

I always admire story's of individuals or family's who have pared down and try to live sustain ably.

I agree, that it is much easier said than done, and often something that would perhaps be done easier by baby transition steps. However, many family's drastically change their lifestyle very successfully, and there are a number of books humorous or otherwise about such journey's. Any attempt in changing your life this drastically has to be a wonderful learning experience whether "successful" or not.

Ya, Texas to Vermont is gonna be a whoppin' climate change!

My sister left her lavish lifestyle in a well to do NJ beach community to live with the Amish in NY. She learned how to farm, how to build a house, can, sew clothes, live without a washing machine, indoor plumbing, electricity, and buttons. She would probably not have succeeded without the help of the Amish community. I hope this family has a neighbor in Vermont willing to help.

I think it would be much easier to live simply if you just take that plunge and do it. I keep saying I'm going to downsize, I'm going to get rid of junk, but the reality is that it is very hard. I was cleaning out my kitchen of all the pots, pans, dishes, etc that I don't need, and my dh's grandparents moved to assisted care, and I now have FOUR sets of fine china. HELLO! But now those have sentimental value, so I can't get rid of them til everyone on that side of the family forgets I have them. Which may be never!

It's my dream to get in the car with the clothes we need and just go. Somewhere. But, not likely to happen anytime soon.

I now have FOUR sets of fine china. HELLO! But now those have sentimental value, so I can't get rid of them til everyone on that side of the family forgets I have them. Which may be never!

Why not pass the china on to someone on that side of the family.

I think it would be much easier to live simply if you just take that plunge and do it.

But, there is a vast difference between downsizing or simplifying and a complete disconnection from the grid. Making a leap like this alongside willing and learned partners, like Karenciavo's sister -- now that's just grand. There's somebody there to back you up, to teach you, in essense, to put a safety net under your falling butt. But, these folks? :confused::confused:

Having lived aboard an old wooden sailboat for some years -- one with coal stove heat, no showers, no oven, and only about 28' of living space, I can tell you from experience that it's not for everyone. And, we still had certain electric advantages from our batteries and the option for dockside power.

I'm not saying it's impossible. And, I agree that it takes a supreme will to simplify without a some pretty radical thinking. But, this is so radical it sounds dangerous. I wouldn't have that in me, and didn't even in my 20's. I hope they do.

My sister left her lavish lifestyle in a well to do NJ beach community to live with the Amish in NY. She learned how to farm, how to build a house, can, sew clothes, live without a washing machine, indoor plumbing, electricity, and buttons.

How did she do this? Learning from a person instead of a book seems so much...more effecient & full of life at the same time. Kwim? And I have so much to learn. :001_huh:

While I am basically for the idea of voluntary simplicity, the extremes at both ends of the lifestyle spectrum seem unnecessarily harsh. Being tethered to to much stuff and a busy life style is not the ideal, but neither is giving up so much of what you posses that daily life itself becomes a burden and a danger. I think these people should take a hard look at this quote from the article (emphasis mine):

“The idea in the movement was ‘everything you own owns you,’ †said Dr. Grigsby, who sees roots of the philosophy in the lives of the Puritans. “You have to care for it, store it. It becomes an appendage, I think. If it enhances your life and helps you do the things you want to do, great. If you are burdened by these things and they become the center of what you have to do to live, is that really positive?â€

Why do they all of a sudden have to see everything they own as "evil" and a burden to unload? Their wedding bands. Their family Christmas ornaments. I know I would regret such bold measures. What may seem like a brave and praiseworthy move to some seems foolhardy and selfish to me. We live in the real world, surrounded by real things. Some things do have meaning in our lives. Some things will not be able to be replaced when they all of a sudden want to share something of the past with their kids. Will they keep any of their own kids' things?

It just seems very imbalanced to me, but I suppose each person or family needs to find where their balance lies. To me they have gone too far and are unbalanced the other way. Time will tell. I hope they don't regret their decisions, but I suspect they will regret some of them.

How did she do this? Learning from a person instead of a book seems so much...more effecient & full of life at the same time. Kwim? And I have so much to learn. :001_huh:

She and her husband along with their 5 children sold everything, bought a small trailer and land in an Amish community right outside Bath, NY. They just moved in, met the neighbors and told them they wanted to live as Amish. The community embraced them and helped them get acclimated. They lived like that for 12 years. My oldest niece married an Amish boy and lives in a community in MO, but my sister and the rest of her family are "English" again.

Why did they go English again? I have always had a fantasy of becoming Amish but I am not a pacifist and never could be. Simplicity, hard work, community. It all sounds good to me.

Because my sister goes from one hare-brained scheme to another. We are complete opposites :D

In all honesty, she began to have problems with some of the theology, most notably that there is no assurance of salvation according to the church they were attending. My sister's best friend, a women born and raised in the community was shunned for studying the scriptures and believing in the assurance of salvation. That started the ball rolling.

I loved Vermont.

But I had money and heat in Vermont.

These people are freakin crazy. They have no idea how LONG winter can be. They will be trading those rings for firewood.

I knew a guy who grew up there who decided to build his own house. He thought that that would be a cool, self-sufficient thing to do. So he started on it, but he ran out of time. Winter started, and all he had was the basement with the floor over it--no actual house. His wife and kids had to live there all winter. All Vermont winter. In the uninsulated cinderblock walled basement. Heated with wood. Wood that he cut.

By the end of the winter, he was taking one vacation day per week just to go home and cut wood for the rest of the week. He pretty much cut wood all weekend, too. Green wood takes forever to heat up enough to burn and enough to give off heat.

By the summer he had almost no vacation time left. Somehow he managed to progress.

They have a lovely home now, but wow, I think that if she had had a job to turn to they would have gotten divorced that winter.

Vermont is beautiful but the climate is harsh and unforgiving. Every year people die of cold because they assume that their cars will get them from point A to point B.

Wow. Wow. And they are coming from Texas. Wow.

Guest Amy in MS
Because my sister goes from one hair-brained scheme to another. We are complete opposites :D

Hee!

Ok, that's funny. But, wow 12 years! I wanted to be Amish as a youngster. Flew out to live with some Amish friends of mine that I met through Country Mazagine (true story). Tried to learn PA Dutch, drove a buggy! But, I really wanted to go to college. Figured the Amish would be there when I was done. Didn't expect to find Mr. Right, who did NOT want to be Amish. :D

I'm sorry this is so off topic, but I have to know, did you sister actually join the church, or did she just live Amish? I know the language barrier in church is pretty difficult. How old were the kids? Some of the theology kept me out as well, but in general, I've gotta admit, it was pretty darn appealing. I'm a little more clear-eyed looking back, though.

I know a couple of other folks who have joined the Amish and even married, but all left to Mennonite churches in the past several years.

Amy

I'm sorry this is so off topic, but I have to know, did you sister actually join the church, or did she just live Amish? I know the language barrier in church is pretty difficult. How old were the kids? Some of the theology kept me out as well, but in general, I've gotta admit, it was pretty darn appealing. I'm a little more clear-eyed looking back, though.

My niece joined the church, but my sister, BIL, and nephews never did. When they moved up state the oldest was around 10 and the youngest was 2 or 3. The church they attended spoke some dialect of German and they all learned it. My niece became a teacher in an Amish school in Ohio when she was 17 and that's where she met her husband, who btw is the sweetest guy. His father is a bishop and their particular church is a little more progressive.

Here's my niece Virginia and her youngest baby Ida

virginia1.jpg

My niece joined the church, but my sister, BIL, and nephews never did. When they moved up state the oldest was around 10 and the youngest was 2 or 3. The church they attended spoke some dialect of German and they all learned it. My niece became a teacher in an Amish school in Ohio when she was 17 and that's where she met her husband, who btw is the sweetest guy. His father is a bishop and their particular church is a little more progressive.

Here's my niece Virginia and her youngest baby Ida

virginia1.jpg

Your niece looks soooooooooo happy, and that baby is absolutely adorable! What a cutie! Those chubby cheeks make me want to pinch them, ha ha.

Baby-lovin' mama here,

Sahamamama (SArah's, HAnnah's, and MAry's mama) :001_smile:

My sister left her lavish lifestyle in a well to do NJ beach community to live with the Amish in NY. She learned how to farm, how to build a house, can, sew clothes, live without a washing machine, indoor plumbing, electricity, and buttons. She would probably not have succeeded without the help of the Amish community. I hope this family has a neighbor in Vermont willing to help.

Tell me, did your sister become Amish, or just learn from them?

(Never mind, I got excited before I read the rest of the posts. I know the answer now)

Michelle

Tell me, did your sister become Amish, or just learn from them?

Michelle

She never joined the church, so she wasn't Amish, but she did live as Amish for 12 years. She and dh built their own house, sewed clothes, used an outhouse, drove a buggy, etc. For money my sister had a produce stand and sewed quilts, while my bil repaired cars and farmed.