Menu

Cuisenaire Rods

texasmama

Went to the used curriculum sale today and found a complete introductory set (plastic) of cuisenaire rods, the ruler looking item to line them up and measure how long they are and a book called "The Super Source" explaining how to use them.

I like the way they feel.:D Now I "get" what other posters speak of regarding a child "playing" with them. My 5 year old thought they were fun.

Any suggestions on favorite ways to use them with a five year old? I will read the book but wanted to hear the voices of experience, as well.

(But alas, I found no Right Start cards...)

Aside from building stuff...

Put some rods in 2 brown bags. Each of you reach in your bag, and pull out a rod at the same time ("One, two, THREE"). Whoever has the longest rod "wins" both rods to put in his/her "keep-pile." At the end of the game, line up your "keep-piles" into long trains and whoever has the longest train wins.

"What rod is missing?" Put an orange rod down, place a different rod on top...which rod fits in the empty space?

"Greedy 'Gator" Give him a greater/less than sign and place two rods on the table. Place the sign so that the gator eats the bigger lunch.

"Make it =" Lay down an = sign and put 2 rods on either side of it. He has to find another rod to lay down and make the sides =.

ETA:

Give your ds 1cm graph paper so he can color the things he builds.

Have him color his math facts/number bonds/fact families...whatever you call them.

Edited by 3blessingmom

We used the Rightstart 5/5 abacus, and counting bears, and 100 board, fraction towers, Montessori multiplication beads, dominoes and several other manipulatives. But the cuisenaire rods were never more than building blocks to my kids.

Seeing that you use Singapore math...

You can use them for manipulatives when teaching "number bonds"!

Find the rod that is 10, and then see all the ways to make 10. 1 and 9, 2 and 8, etc. It is very easy to tell that all combos equal 10 when you lay them side by side.

They are also useful as manipulatives when introducing multiplication as repeated addition.

Fractions can be illustrated nicely. If you call the orange one a "whole" Each white one is 1/10. You can show 2/10 is equal to 1/5. And other equivalent fractions. Also great for teaching common multiples/ factors. Make a train that is 48 units long. Then see if "3" can go into it, that is can you make an equal length train with the light green stick. How many did you use? How about "4" with the purple stick...etc.

I use cuisineaire rods when my kids need a concrete illustration of an abstract topic.

Edited by Jean in CA

Thank you all for the ideas. My dd has played with them several times today, and I know she will enjoy these ideas for games. Kuovonne, thank you for sharing the link to your booklet/blog. My dd will enjoy that.:001_smile:

They don't feel like plastic. They feel like wood to me.

"Stairs" line up the rods (vertically) from one to ten to one to ten.

"Trains" stack up all the combos of rods (horizontally) that equal a given value, for example show all the ways one can make 8.

"Less Than Greater Than Game" using two rods you've chosen laid on a table. child flips hand written card with an inequalities sign (>) the right way and reads 5 is greater than 3, or 3 is less than 5 (as the case may be). The "advanced" version adds in how much more or less, so 5 is 2 more than 3 or 3 is 2 less than 5. It is like Paula's "Greedy Gator" game but without (for goodness sakes) talking about Gators :D

"What's the Difference?" The same as Paula's "What rod is missing." Have a Whole and a part, find the difference.

Bill

It is also fun early on to have sheets with the outlines of rods drawn on paper (do it at crazy angles, not neatly lined up) and have the child try to pick up the correct rods and place them over the outlined shapes. It gets them to visualize, and they can self-correct if their estimation is off. This is a direct lift from Miquon.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I thought of you as I bought them.:D

Just printed out the booklet and cards linked in a blog by a pp. It is a real gem, and my dd is over the moon, showing her brothers her booklet.:001_smile: This is an activity which one of her brothers can do with her while I work with the other brother. Very nice for a mulitasking homeschooling mom.

Here is another question: Do those who enjoy using these prefer a discovery method, a parent-led method or a combination of both? (BTW, I almost didn't buy the measuring thingie, but it is one of her favorite things to work with? What is that thing called, anyway?)

It is like Paula's "Greedy Gator" game but without (for goodness sakes) talking about Gators :D

Bill

:001_tt2: (:lol:) For goodness sake, let the poor gators eat their lunch!!!

We prefer a combination of discovery and parent-led. The best lessons are always the discovery, self-motivated ones...but those are often set up by the parent-led lessons.

My 8yo grasped the basic concepts like he was born knowing them...b/c they are so visible with those rods; place value, regrouping, mult/div, fractions, finding area/perimeter/volume...it's all been a "Well, duh mom!" kind of thing teaching those. (It's the practice that feels like work.:tongue_smilie:) The same is proving true for my dd, and my youngest is doing the things that I mentioned above.

Miquon is fabulous! The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't take us up through more levels.

Thanks, Bill. I thought of you as I bought them.:D

How could you not? :D

Just printed out the booklet and cards linked in a blog by a pp. It is a real gem, and my dd is over the moon, showing her brothers her booklet.:001_smile: This is an activity which one of her brothers can do with her while I work with the other brother. Very nice for a mulitasking homeschooling mom.

Here is another question: Do those who enjoy using these prefer a discovery method, a parent-led method or a combination of both? (BTW, I almost didn't buy the measuring thingie, but it is one of her favorite things to work with? What is that thing called, anyway?)

A combination of both.

The "discovery method" which can involve creating a scenario where they learn what you hope they will learn--as opposed to complete "free play" (which has its place too)--is amazingly effective. They gain such a sense of autonomy and competence from doing it themselves.

As a step away from "discovery" you can later give them equations to solve Like 3= [ ]=5?. This is good to, because "they" solve it themselves using the rods.

There are times for direct instruction. We worked on place value with C Rods and base-10 "Flats" (you NEED a set of these BTW) but then turned them into play. I would ask build me 365 with the Rods. Or I could build a number (say 365) and he would would build the rod.

Too much "parent led" time kind of defeats the purpose IMO. What is amazing about these is letting the child do it for themselves (while being an admiring and encouraging partner who is working behind the scenes).

So a combination of both, but leaning heavily towards discovery and keeping the "parent led" to the minimum.

Bill

"Find the Sum" Take two rods (two "parts") and find the sum (the "whole") using another rod.

When the sum gets over 10 (say 8+7) use a "10" Rod and [ ] to find the same value as 8+7.

Bill (who goes not feed Gators :tongue_smilie:)

Just to clarify, it's *not* my booklet/blog. I can only dream of such a life. I just picked up the link from these forums and am passing it on.

:lol: I hear you. Thanks for clarifying, but I do appreciate the link, as I wouldn't have found it without that.

As I worked with dd, we naturally did a parent-led activity (finding combinations of rods which equal the orange (10) one, which led to her figuring out how to do it. I learned long ago to resist my urge to do things for my kids which they need to do for themselves, so that part comes pretty naturally to me. She really, really loves the measuring thingie (still no clue what is is called). It doubles as a number line.

It was fun watching dd explain subtraction in her own words. This is a great age, and I will miss it...but for now, I am really enjoying it.:001_smile:

I also bought a fractions tower for my boys, which is a concrete way to visualize fractions, decimals and percentages. Both of my boys are smack dab in the middle of those concepts.

I have to admit that I am not generally a manipulatives kind of gal, but I am really digging these rods.:lol:

(BTW, I almost didn't buy the measuring thingie, but it is one of her favorite things to work with? What is that thing called, anyway?)

So what is this measuring thingie that's been mentioned? I recently purchased a 155 piece rod set and a couple of the Miquon books but I didn't see any measuring thing..... :glare: Am I missing something fun????

So what is this measuring thingie that's been mentioned? I recently purchased a 155 piece rod set and a couple of the Miquon books but I didn't see any measuring thing..... :glare: Am I missing something fun????

I took a few pics, and my camera battery died.:glare: When it charges a bit, I will post some pics of the measuring thingie (which I will be referring to it as until someone tells me the correct name).

It was fun watching dd explain subtraction in her own words. This is a great age, and I will miss it...but for now, I am really enjoying it.:001_smile:

I have to admit that I am not generally a manipulatives kind of gal, but I am really digging these rods.:lol:

:001_smile: That *is* fun!!!

I remember being amazed that my ds8 (then 5 maybe), could zip through those math facts so long as the rods were visible. He didn't actually need to move or touch them, just see them. If they were put away, he was stumped...bring 'em out, and it's like magic. Eventually, they were stored away in his brain and he didn't need the rods anymore.

:001_smile: That *is* fun!!!

I remember being amazed that my ds8 (then 5 maybe), could zip through those math facts so long as the rods were visible. He didn't actually need to move or touch them, just see them. If they were put away, he was stumped...bring 'em out, and it's like magic. Eventually, they were stored away in his brain and he didn't need the rods anymore.

Already, she knows that orange is 10. I can see how the visual prompt of the rods would really help a kid who "thinks" visually.

I took pictures of the measuring thingie...but now I cannot get my camera to engage with my computer to upload. Ugh. I will mess around with it and someday have success.

Thanks for the picture!! I did not see that on Rainbow Resource when I was purchasing my Miquon books and rod set. It looks like it would be a fun addition. I may look into getting one. :001_smile:

To be honest I would call it a metric ruler! :lol:

ETA-Cuisenaire calls it a "rod track"

Thank goodness! I can stop calling it a "thingie".

eta: It is 50 cm long so would pose a shipping problem. I would imagine it would be easier to find at an educational store than online.

eta: It is 50 cm long so would pose a shipping problem. I would imagine it would be easier to find at an educational store than online.

50 cm?!??! Wow- that's quite a stick.

You can get the rod track in 50cm and 100cm versions.

Rainbow carries the 50cm track.

ETA Cuisenaire carries the 100cm track.

For both of those companies, shipping is based on $$, not the size of the object, so shipping doesn't really matter.

Shipping would only be an issue if buying from an individual.

My son loves the rod track. ETA/ Cuisenaire sells the 50cm one for $3.95 and the 100 cm one for 10.95. I ordered rod track for my 4 year old son and they have been worth the money. I would also recommend getting the C-Rods Template. The template is great for making your own c-rod activity sheets (so you don't have to trace around the c-rods) and your child color in the template to make pictures of c-rods. It was less than 5 dollars.

My son quickly learned that the orange rod is 10. Last month when he was playing with the track he said "I wonder how many orange ones fit in there. Oh 5 tens fit in there" He then pointed to the number 50 and asked what number it was. I then replied that the number was 5 tens (we are using Right Start / Asian way of learning numbers). That discovery in place value was well worth the 3 dollars and 95 cents for the cost of the track.

Another game that we like to play is "magic show". We started with the yellow and orange rods and he hides two behind his back. He asks me to pick a color and is so proud that he can show me the yellow one or orange one without looking, just by feeling. It is a great way to get them to really feel that the different colors are different sizes and not just by the color or by looking.

We prefer a combination of discovery and parent-led. The best lessons are always the discovery, self-motivated ones...but those are often set up by the parent-led lessons.

How do you all set up the parent-led lessons without being overly involved? I am so at a loss and until I came across this thread I was ready to give up on the rods because every time we've gotten them out they've ended up being thrown around and DS loses interest really quickly. I haven't tried to force it, but the way he reacts you'd think I was shoving them down his throat! :confused1:

How do you all set up the parent-led lessons without being overly involved? I am so at a loss and until I came across this thread I was ready to give up on the rods because every time we've gotten them out they've ended up being thrown around and DS loses interest really quickly. I haven't tried to force it, but the way he reacts you'd think I was shoving them down his throat! :confused1:

I started by letting my dc play play play with the rods. My oldest had no idea they were for math lessons for a long time. Fond memories were made with the rods first, before any mom-led lessons. The first lessons were *extremely* gentle...as in, I merely began using math lingo when talking with dc about what they were building with the rods. We played little games...the dc would make some up too. All these things happened before mommy-led lessons, and intermixed with mommy-led lessons.

Before giving a mommy-led lesson, I set up a *need to know* something. Give a problem and let him flounder a bit on his own, and then ask if he'd like to see another way to think about it. Ask a leading question. Show him how you use the rods to prove your answers, and just leave the box open on the table to use if he wishes...or not...his choice.