Menu

I need lots of help deciding on 9th grade, please!

I have rising 9th and 7th graders. Both boys, both school-phobic. This is what I would love to have, but cannot find:

-Chronological study of history (we'll be in Ancients) that ties in literature, art/aritists, architecture, music, composers, basically everything.

-Would like to keep them together, beefing up or paring down as needed.

-Christian worldview.

I have MOH I and actually want to use SOTW alongside for fun and projects, etc. I thought about getting Omnibus I to bring in Christian worldview, lit, but I'm not sure. I would probably just use it for commentary, maybe I can also get a trail for art, architecture? What all would Omnibus bring to the table for me?

Trisms DAW? I believe the work would be doable for both. But, no Christian worldview. Is there a product that would bring that in effortlessly? Seems like this would be the easiest route, to add in the worldview as it has everything else. But, I don't know what to add it with. Do you use a spine with DAW or is it all research from various sources?

MFW-just too hard for younger ds. I also don't believe it covers artists, composers, etc, or does it?

TOG-just too much for me.

We'll be doing Apologia Physical science and So You Really Want to Learn Spanish together, and still need work on spelling. Then there's lit analysis.

I know there's a way to do this, but I have myself so confused I don't know what to do. Christian worldview and Bible study for them are extremely important to me.

Any insights will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim

What about TruthQuest?

I have only used one of their guides so I can't say a whole lot about it. But, it seems to fit. I was considering it for my dd, 14 and starting 9th in the fall.

And if that is is silly suggestion for some reason, forgive me. I am new around here.

I think TRISMs DAW encourages a Christian worldview. Most of their extra/bonus work is Christian:

Lesson 1 - Watch the movie Abraham (with writing assignment)

Lesson 2 - Watch the movie Jacob (with writing assignment)

Lesson 5 - Read Ezekiel (with writing assigment)

Lesson 7 - paper comparing Confucius to Solomon

Lesson 8 - essay on Biblical wisdom

etc.

What about TruthQuest?

I have only used one of their guides so I can't say a whole lot about it. But, it seems to fit. I was considering it for my dd, 14 and starting 9th in the fall.

And if that is is silly suggestion for some reason, forgive me. I am new around here.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't think its silly at all. I actually have looked at TQ, but I would love something more laid out on a daily basis. I'll certainly keep it in mind and give it another look though. Its fairly cost effective as well, isn't it?

Thanks!

I think TRISMs DAW encourages a Christian worldview. Most of their extra/bonus work is Christian:

Lesson 1 - Watch the movie Abraham (with writing assignment)

Lesson 2 - Watch the movie Jacob (with writing assignment)

Lesson 5 - Read Ezekiel (with writing assigment)

Lesson 7 - paper comparing Confucius to Solomon

Lesson 8 - essay on Biblical wisdom

etc.

Thank you, Melissa, I didn't realize that. I wish I could hold it in my hand. You can only see so much thru a sample online.

I really like the commentary in Omnibus, though I don't think I'm reformed :tongue_smilie:(that's a whole 'nother thread!). I wonder if it would be ridiculous to get it just for that.

What else could I use with DAW to add in more Christian worldview? I have been looking at the products from Brimwood Press as a gentle beginning to CWV, so maybe that would work.

Anyone else?

We used and loved Truthquest! It takes a small amount of planning, but not nearly as much in the higher grades than lower since they're reading and more mature. I found I could do 4-8 weeks at a time depending on what I had on the bookshelf and what I had to get from the library. I put all books in a basket and put an * in the guide to let ds know what to read. Each day he spent a specific amount of time reading or watching DVDs, we discussed, then he did any writing. It worked well.

This program has everything you mentioned wanting and there are wonderful CDs that integrate with the topics. There are only 9 units in the year and each week focuses on different aspects of learning for that topic. There are a number of samples you can see online at her site (it is also sold by AIG).

http://www.dianawaring.com/index.html

PameLA in VA

This program has everything you mentioned wanting and there are wonderful CDs that integrate with the topics. There are only 9 units in the year and each week focuses on different aspects of learning for that topic. There are a number of samples you can see online at her site (it is also sold by AIG).

http://www.dianawaring.com/index.html

PameLA in VA

This is what I'm planning to use. I love the CD's so much I put them on my iPod and listen to them at work! I also like that each unit has resources for digging deeper.

It doesn't tie in literature as a subject you can give a credit for, but does incorporate art and music. It would be pretty easy to expand both and study an artist or composer concurrently. My dd hates history so I'm having her read historical fiction to go along with the units, and then am adding in a separate, unrelated literature course.

It doesn't tie in literature as a subject you can give a credit for, but does incorporate art and music. It would be pretty easy to expand both and study an artist or composer concurrently. My dd hates history so I'm having her read historical fiction to go along with the units, and then am adding in a separate, unrelated literature course.

Just curious...what are you going to require of your dd to count as the history credit?

PameLA in VA

BFeet looks interesting and I like that the lessons are scheduled out for you. But, it doesn't cover art, architecture, music, does it? I suppose it would be fairly easy to schedule it in.

We really need to work on writing, so Trisms does have that going for it that it used IEW. I wonder it the retention is high with Trisms. I'm worried it would just be filling out worksheets to get them done. Maybe I could bring in the TQ guides for Christian commentary and worldview. Maybe that wouldn't even be necessary since Sailor Mom has to leave things out.

Diana Waring is interesting, but I would be overwhelmed scheduling, I think. Maybe just adding her cds to whatever we chose would be a possibility.

UGH. I'm so confused.

Thanks for all the help. Keep the ideas coming. Or better yet, someone just tell me what to buy!

We've used Trisms for a few years now. You can adjust it easily for the age range of your children. I found that it referenced the Bible quite often and/or encouraged the student to compare the many other cultures with Abramic cultures. Though the program doesn't have to be approached with a Christian worldview, it certainly gives you the opportunity to do so very easily and I think it would be a challenge not to given the reading material suggested.