Menu

LDS Homeschoolers

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I am grateful about from my experience with TJEd is that it taught me not to be so naive. ;)

The MLMish feel comes from always having to buy something else or attend another seminar in order to finally understand. I've seen families with little means shell out money for these products because they want to give their kids a good education. It's sad. :(

It also really bugs me the way DeMille and other TJEd proponents love to backpedal and redefine things. "Classic" now means whatever you find it convenient to mean (Saxon Math, a person, etc.). DeMille specifically said "classics, not textbooks" so I'm not sure how Saxon Math (a textbook) qualifies. :confused: Textbooks can be very useful and are a better tool than classics for some subjects. But of course he can't admit that he was wrong. :rolleyes:

Another definition he changed was the one for statesmen. TJEd is marketed as a method that produces leaders. In its earlier days, "statesmen" were the promised result. What do you picture when you think of "statesman"? Someone in politics, right? "State" = "government" What do you picture when you think of "leader"? Someone in charge of an organization or company? Someone who leads large groups of people toward a goal?

Well, TJEd teaches that "statesmen" aren't politicians and leaders don't need to actually be leading people. You can be a leader in your own home (true, but that's not what was promised).

George Wythe College (TJEd "university") is supposed to be a place you can go to further your "leadership" education. It's been around for nearly two decades; where are the leaders?

Also, DeMille and other TJEd supporters say that TJEd isn't a "method" at all. :rolleyes: You can combine it with public shool, Charlotte Mason, etc. I don't see how, given that you're not supposed to use textbooks, professors, compulsory content, requirements, grades, direct instruction, or a wide variety of subjects.

The oldest children of the friends that introduced me to TJEd are going into their junior and senior years of high school. They attend (and have attended) a TJEd-run public charter high school. The school's students scored 4% proficiency in Algebra II in 2010. :svengo: ETA: Test scores http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/achievement/ut/1851#from..HeaderLink But TJEd supporters will tell you that test scores are meaningless and are not useful in measuring knowledge or education. :rolleyes:

I hold out hope that this ridiculous movement will eventually lose steam, but I don't know that it will. People invested in TJEd refuse to see its faults. When it "doesn't work" the blame is put on the parents for "not doing it right." (No matter that no one knows how to do it.)

End rant (for now). :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Veritaserum

I hold out hope that this ridiculous movement will eventually lose steam, but I don't know that it will. People invested in TJEd refuse to see its faults. When it "doesn't work" the blame is put on the parents for "not doing it right." (No matter that no one knows how to do it.)

I can think of a lot of false philosophies that do that...

I showed my husband the Celestial Education video last night, the bit with Brown vs. Board of Ed/prayer in schools. He was :glare: I always wonder if people who mourn the loss of school-sponsored prayer actually realize what they're asking for--for government to be taking over the parental job of teaching religion, and probably not the religion they'd prefer. When government/schools teach religion, people tune out (much as they do with other gov't mandated things!). It becomes official and impersonal, and people stop caring.

I can think of a lot of false philosophies that do that...

I showed my husband the Celestial Education video last night, the bit with Brown vs. Board of Ed/prayer in schools. He was :glare: I always wonder if people who mourn the loss of school-sponsored prayer actually realize what they're asking for--for government to be taking over the parental job of teaching religion, and probably not the religion they'd prefer. When government/schools teach religion, people tune out (much as they do with other gov't mandated things!). It becomes official and impersonal, and people stop caring.

I've heard of this from a friend of mine from Sweden who's currently living in the States. There, "everyone" is Lutheran, because that's the State Church. But church attendance is abysmal, and most are Christian in name only. They had no say in their faith, didn't have to struggle to "find" it, and don't really feel any urge to live it, and so it's taken for granted. She said many of the Priests just say what they believe people want to hear so that they can keep their jobs. Christianity is vastly different over here than it is over there, according to her, because many Americans are Christian by choice, rather than default.

I've heard of this from a friend of mine from Sweden who's currently living in the States. There, "everyone" is Lutheran, because that's the State Church. But church attendance is abysmal, and most are Christian in name only. They had no say in their faith, didn't have to struggle to "find" it, and don't really feel any urge to live it, and so it's taken for granted. She said many of the Priests just say what they believe people want to hear so that they can keep their jobs. Christianity is vastly different over here than it is over there, according to her, because many Americans are Christian by choice, rather than default.

Yes, my DH served in Finland and Lutheran is the state religion there as well. He said they have these big beautiful churches that almost nobody attends, and the Finns call it "Christmas Church" because they only go for Christmas. You pay taxes to the Lutheran church unless you fill out a form declaring yourself another religion. The Lutheran church recognizes common law marriage too. The people are really apathetic towards religion there.

This is a very interesting thread. I have learned a lot.

:001_huh: about the whole TJed and Celestial Education stuff. Is Nibley that out there too? I haven't read his stuff yet, but someone we know has and the way he talks about it sounds like it is waaaay out there. Although, it could be this person's interpretation b/c he is waaay out there himself. :lol: Just curious.

I am an LDS HSer. We try to get together with other HSing friends for field trips and such. Not a formal group though. I would want an inclusive or secular group most likely.

Hugh Nibley wrote a lot, and he was a brilliant guy. If you see or hear a recording, it's obvious that his brain went at about 100x the speed of normal people's. I love his stuff but a lot of it goes over my head. I wouldn't take it all as revealed truth but he was more solid than not IMO.

Cleon Skousen, OTOH, some of his stuff is just weird. Esp. The First 2000 Years. He had a strong tendency to speculate a lot and then write it down without making a distinction between history and speculation--you learn to tell that when he says 'clearly' or 'it is easy to see...' that he's going to say something weird that he thought up.

I always wonder if people who mourn the loss of school-sponsored prayer actually realize what they're asking for--for government to be taking over the parental job of teaching religion, and probably not the religion they'd prefer. When government/schools teach religion, people tune out (much as they do with other gov't mandated things!). It becomes official and impersonal, and people stop caring.

This is from Benjamin Franklin to Ezra Stiles, the fundamental points of "all sound religion" that he felt should be taught in public schools:

"Here is my creed: I believe in one God, the Creator of the universe. That he governs it by his providence. That he ought to be worshipped. That the most acceptable service we render to him is in doing good to his other children. That the soul of man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this. These I take to be the fundamental points in all sound religion."

I think these general principles of Christianity can be agreed on by all religions, and I do think it is a shame that God and morality are taken out of our schools.

I don't equate a state-run government, like what is described in Finland, to be the same as having, for instance, these principles named above being taught in our curriculum throughout the public school system. The principles are so general as to encompass all good, sound religion.

The absence of these principles is equivelant to the absence of basic morality in the curriculum. Sure, these should be taught at home and according to your own religion, but to be reinforced so generally at school cannot be a bad thing.

In fact, I think the absence of it in our schools has greatly contributed to the general decay of morals in our society as the problem compounds itself. Not everyone gets morality teaching at home. Anyway, those are my thoughts on the topic.

I don't equate a state-run government, like what is described in Finland, to be the same as having, for instance, these principles named above being taught in our curriculum throughout the public school system. The principles are so general as to encompass all good, sound religion.

But there are plenty of people who don't want any religion. Are we supposed to force them to get it in school? I think that's a clear violation of the establishment clause.

And then there are folks who have a religion that isn't good or sound; they have the right to that.

I did live in Denmark for some time, and there was religion in the schools, when anyone bothered with it. No one went to church except for babies or weddings or other social events. IME government + religion = apathy.

Hugh Nibley wrote a lot, and he was a brilliant guy. If you see or hear a recording, it's obvious that his brain went at about 100x the speed of normal people's. I love his stuff but a lot of it goes over my head. I wouldn't take it all as revealed truth but he was more solid than not IMO.

Cleon Skousen, OTOH, some of his stuff is just weird. Esp. The First 2000 Years. He had a strong tendency to speculate a lot and then write it down without making a distinction between history and speculation--you learn to tell that when he says 'clearly' or 'it is easy to see...' that he's going to say something weird that he thought up.

Thanks! Good to know. This person who talks about what he learned from Nibley's books sounds a lot like Skousen. Lots of speculation prefaced by "It was revealed to me..." :glare: I take this person with a big grain of salt but didn't know whether I should discount the original source as well. He does the same thing with Scripture and other things so I realize it is not always the original source, but sometimes it could be.

But there are plenty of people who don't want any religion. Are we supposed to force them to get it in school? I think that's a clear violation of the establishment clause.

And then there are folks who have a religion that isn't good or sound; they have the right to that.

:iagree: I also don't think it's accurate to say that a lack of a religion equals immorality. I know plenty of secular humanists and atheists who are more compassionate and kind than religious folks I know. What counts as moral or immoral often depends on a person's religious beliefs. What counts as kind/ethical or unkind/unethical is more universal. The vast majority of people, regardless of whether or not they are religious, will agree that stealing, murder, etc. are wrong/unethical. Things like homosexuality or sex outside marriage are areas where there is less agreement. Because some religions preach heavily against those practices as immoral and other (nice) people are homosexual or have sex without being married (which are legal), it's inappropriate for a government-run institution to teach children that those practices are wrong.

Perhaps ethics should be taught in school, but morality should not.

The one thing I am grateful about from my experience with TJEd is that it taught me not to be so naive. ;)

The MLMish feel comes from always having to buy something else or attend another seminar in order to finally understand. I've seen families with little means shell out money for these products because they want to give their kids a good education. It's sad.

It also really bugs me the way DeMille and other TJEd proponents love to backpedal and redefine things. "Classic" now means whatever you find it convenient to mean (Saxon Math, a person, etc.). DeMille specifically said "classics, not textbooks" so I'm not sure how Saxon Math (a textbook) qualifies. Textbooks can be very useful and are a better tool than classics for some subjects. But of course he can't admit that he was wrong.

Another definition he changed was the one for statesmen. TJEd is marketed as a method that produces leaders. In its earlier days, "statesmen" were the promised result. What do you picture when you think of "statesman"? Someone in politics, right? "State" = "government" What do you picture when you think of "leader"? Someone in charge of an organization or company? Someone who leads large groups of people toward a goal?

Well, TJEd teaches that "statesmen" aren't politicians and leaders don't need to actually be leading people. You can be a leader in your own home (true, but that's not what was promised).

George Wythe College (TJEd "university") is supposed to be a place you can go to further your "leadership" education. It's been around for nearly two decades; where are the leaders?

Also, DeMille and other TJEd supporters say that TJEd isn't a "method" at all. :rolleyes: You can combine it with public shool, Charlotte Mason, etc. I don't see how, given that you're not supposed to use textbooks, professors, compulsory content, requirements, grades, direct instruction, or a wide variety of subjects.

The oldest children of the friends that introduced me to TJEd are going into their junior and senior years of high school. They attend (and have attended) a TJEd-run public charter high school. The school's students scored 4% proficiency in Algebra II in 2010. :svengo: ETA: Test scores http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/achievement/ut/1851#from..HeaderLink But TJEd supporters will tell you that test scores are meaningless and are not useful in measuring knowledge or education. :rolleyes:

End rant (for now). :tongue_smilie:

I found it so sad that a lady on the whyidonttjed blog was defending so vehemently that Joan of Arc did study the classics (her mother) and that that's why she's a great leader. No, a person can't really be a classic. And just because Joan's mother taught her sewing and other homemaking skills, that's not the leadership education DeMille was talking about. I can see the flip-flopping all over the place.

Laura, in my opinion, it would be awesome if you wrote a post for the LDS homeschooling blog (you're not busy, right:lol:). I would write it myself, but my son is only 5, no one would take me seriously. They've had a billion posts on TJed and a couple on Celestial Education. I think it's high time there was a post on why a classical education is so good. If you (or anyone else) don't want to, it's fine, I'll write one in five years. That oughtta be good. Maybe after I've gone through the entire WWE series with Pigby, I'll be a good writer myself:lol: (ETA: Oops, I mean FLL. The grammar one. WWE I think I could handle)

Edited by meggie

Can I add another tangent to this thread and ask what you're all using for Science curriculum? My kids are 6 and 8, so grammar stage. I know some LDS like the Apologia series, but I thought they were pretty hard-core YE, anti-evolution (haven't seen them though). . . my personal beliefs tend toward OE theistic evolution.

I used Elemental Science Biology last year and liked it okay (it's a good program, I didn't object to any of it, it just was not the right fit for our family). This year we'll be using REAL Science Odyssey for earth and space. Both are secular, so I can just plug in religion wherever and whenever I want (mainly pointing out to my children how amazing and fascinating this Earth Heavenly Father created for us is!)

Wow....I didn't even know there was an LDS homeschooling blog. :leaving: I'm a bad, bad Mormon homeschooling mommy. :D

tsk tsk tsk Diane, that's sacrilege.:svengo:

ETA: Oops, I do hope you know I am just teasing.

Edited by meggie

Can I add another tangent to this thread and ask what you're all using for Science curriculum? My kids are 6 and 8, so grammar stage. I know some LDS like the Apologia series, but I thought they were pretty hard-core YE, anti-evolution (haven't seen them though). . . my personal beliefs tend toward OE theistic evolution.

I'm pretty sure it is hard-core YE. In fact, here's a review someone did on it from the LDS homeschooling blog. And yes, I am the witch who had to go and argue (but I tried to be nice about it). And even though I still disagree with her, I tried to be nice about it and not start a fight, by saying, "Oh thank you so much, I'm definitely going to be researching that more." I really hate arguments.

I myself am OE theistic too, but am open minded about it.

We tried BFSU, but it's too teacher intensive for my scattered brain, so we got Elemental Science. We're on a break from it until I get my act together, but it's pretty easy. For the narration and pictures, I just make Pigby draw them himself instead of cutting out and coloring the ones that come with it. The experiments we tried were fun, but didn't really go along with what was being taught. I plan on adjusting them a little when we start again; ya know, someday when I get my act together.

I didn't know about that blog, either. :tongue_smilie: Would they even be interested in a random person asking to guest post? :)

Yes, they do it all the time. Well, they did it more in the past, but posts have kinda tapered off a bit, even from the assigned writers. They have had several posts asking for guest writers.

I didn't know about that blog, either. :tongue_smilie: Would they even be interested in a random person asking to guest post? :)

They seem to put calls out for more guestbloggers fairly often, and infact, lately a lot of the posts seem to be coming from the same "guest" bloggers, so I imagine they'd appreaciate someone "fresh"! :)

Theistic evolutionist here, too (and I bite my tongue in Sunday School ;)). My GS kids are using REAL Science Odyssey. My oldest will use Prentice Hall Science Explorer (Earth Science) this fall.

:iagree::iagree: Nibley's stuff is phenomenal. He taught I think it was Gospel Doctrine class in my parents' ward for a while. He used his Bible written in Hebrew. :svengo:

I also don't think it's accurate to say that a lack of a religion equals immorality. I know plenty of secular humanists and atheists who are more compassionate and kind than religious folks I know. What counts as moral or immoral often depends on a person's religious beliefs. What counts as kind/ethical or unkind/unethical is more universal. The vast majority of people, regardless of whether or not they are religious, will agree that stealing, murder, etc. are wrong/unethical. Things like homosexuality or sex outside marriage are areas where there is less agreement. Because some religions preach heavily against those practices as immoral and other (nice) people are homosexual or have sex without being married (which are legal), it's inappropriate for a government-run institution to teach children that those practices are wrong.

Perhaps ethics should be taught in school, but morality should not.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Theistic evolutionist here, too! I use BFSU as our science spine. I love love LOVE it. I also supplement with Abeka science and Lifepacs because I found them cheap at a local sale, and VanCleave experiment books plus an experiment kit. And Bill Nye & Magic School Bus & two microscopes & nature walks with notebooks. We have a science & math core, instead of history :tongue_smilie:.

Wow....I didn't even know there was an LDS homeschooling blog. :leaving: I'm a bad, bad Mormon homeschooling mommy.

I don't remember seeing that blog either.

I wonder what the LDS TJeder's think about L. Tom Perry's "Mothers Teaching Children in the Home" from April 2010 Conference, where he talked about, "I used to think some days as I ran home from school that I was through learning for the day, but this illusion was quickly destroyed when I saw my mother standing at the door waiting for me. When we were young, we each had a desk in the kitchen where we could continue to be taught by her as she performed household duties and prepared supper. She was a natural teacher and far more demanding of us than our teachers at school and church. The scope of MotherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s teaching included both secular and spiritual lessons. She made sure none of us were falling behind in our schoolwork, which she would often supplement."

Sounds like she didn't wait until they wanted to learn--she sat them down & made sure they did, no matter what ;).

Yay! Another tangent! I didn't have much to contribute to that other one.

We really liked R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey when both kids were younger. This past year I tried a year of more or less WTM-style studies because they needed quite different depths of information but I wanted to keep them on the same general topic. It worked out pretty well except it was pretty planning-intensive for me. I picked 36 topics in Earth and space science and just went through one per week with the kids reading from different books, writing about it (ds did a summary or an outline, dd made a picture with a short narration), and then doing an activity together. Exept I wasn't as good at following through with the activities as I would have liked. This coming year dd will be back in school and I'm using a Biology book from Holt McDougal for ds's 9th grade biology class, along with a lab kit from eScience Labs and some dissections from Home Science Tools so I don't drop the ball on the hands-on aspect.

I'm another theistic evolutionist. I wasn't really thrilled to see that Apologia post on the LDS homeschooling blog, and I guess I should have gone in and argued! I've never commented on there, though sometimes I'm very tempted...I don't see any need at all for Mormons to be YEC, and the near-obsession with creationism--to the exclusion of things like chemistry and physics and so on--in some circles really bugs me.

Last year with biology we had a couple of spine books, a bunch of experiments, and extra reading, and a bunch of dissecting. I have yet to find a boxed curriculum that I love. This year we'll be doing earth science and astronomy, and I'm still working on figuring it out--but no Apologia!

We don't use Apologia either. I'm definitely not "young earth"...as in I do not think "a day" in the Bible is a 24 hour period. Beyond that....I don't really care. I figure the Lord knows what He's doing and how many days it took to create the earth has nothing to do with my own personal salvation, so why worry about it.

As far as science goes, we have used lots of different curriculums over the years. The best science has actually been unit studies I've done from Konos or ones I've made up myself. I've also used Noeo and liked that as well. I always end up tweaking it...no matter what it is. That's just me. :D

Have we thought of creating a Yahoo Group for us? I know I'd just about give my eye-tooth to have a larger LDS homeschooling support system. I just found out that the local home schooling (non-LDS) group views our church as a cult and has had their children write reports on our "evil ways".

Have we thought of creating a Yahoo Group for us? I know I'd just about give my eye-tooth to have a larger LDS homeschooling support system. I just found out that the local home schooling (non-LDS) group views our church as a cult and has had their children write reports on our "evil ways".

:001_huh: Wow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe you could go for "show-and-tell"?

I don't know if there is already one, but if you start one, I would join

Have we thought of creating a Yahoo Group for us? I know I'd just about give my eye-tooth to have a larger LDS homeschooling support system.

I kind of love just having this thread to chat randomly. (and I like having only one place to go - one stop chat shopping :001_smile:)

Someone is going to come across this thread in a couple years and wonder how "ooh, a squirrel" LDS homeschoolers are :001_huh::lol:

I kind of love just having this thread to chat randomly. (and I like having only one place to go - one stop chat shopping :001_smile:)

Me too! I'm happy to see it appear again.

A yahoogroup might be fun. Should we call it LDS WTMers to go with the classical theme?

Y'all are putting images of me dressed up for a Relief Society trip on some spinning stage :D Children would come up with pointers and give their talks!

I slapped together a group because I'm good at it and can almost do it in my sleep at this point. If we want it we can use it, if not we can keep this thread going :D

In other random news we can't decided if the cat is pregnant or getting fat.

Uh, yes, the URL for the group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LDS_WTMers/

Edited by Elizabeth in MN
adding URL - duh

Y'all are putting images of me dressed up for a Relief Society trip on some spinning stage Children would come up with pointers and give their talks!

I slapped together a group because I'm good at it and can almost do it in my sleep at this point. If we want it we can use it, if not we can keep this thread going

In other random news we can't decided if the cat is pregnant or getting fat.

Uh, yes, the URL for the group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LDS_WTMers/

I joined, but considering how often I remember to check my email for the other group....just remember that if I'm not there that often, it's nothing personal. My spastic brain just hasn't remembered.

I say go with fat cat. Power of positive thinking and all that. We had friends in our home ward who had a cat who was constantly getting pregnant. If that the real case for you, best wishes.

Can someone give me a kick in the pants? I don't know what is wrong with me today. On the thread about psycho fiancee, I yelled at someone. :blushing: She said, "Just chalk it up to wedding psychosis" and I said, "Are you kidding me?!?!?!" and continued with a rant. When I told this to my husband, he said, "Did you really say that or did you just WANT to say it?" and he was surprised that I actually said it because I never yell at people. :blushing::blushing:

And then on the thread about schools killing creativity, I thought someone else was being accusatory, so I was rude, but it turns out she was just asking questions :blushing::banghead::crying::crying: Gah, that's it, I'm going to hell for sure.

(did anyone see that LauraGB read through this whole thread? I thought that was cute:001_wub:)

:lol: Doesn't that take us further into Skousenesque territory...? Run away!

The-Real-Thomas-Jefferson-Allison-Andrew-M-9780880800068.jpg

:lol:

On a positive note, I went to homeschool park day on Friday and spoke with a Charlottle Mason homeschooler! Woo-hoo! She has concerns about TJEd as well. I was so happy to find a kindred (non-TJEd) spirit. :tongue_smilie: She also has big girls that my big girls liked spending time with. :)

I signed up for that yahoogroup. :)

On a positive note, I went to homeschool park day on Friday and spoke with a Charlottle Mason homeschooler! Woo-hoo! She has concerns about TJEd as well. I was so happy to find a kindred (non-TJEd) spirit. :tongue_smilie: She also has big girls that my big girls liked spending time with. :)

Are a lot of the people in our group TJed? I know at least one sounded like it but I didn't pry.

Nice!

I spent half of yesterday writing up notes for a workshop on classical education that I got roped into giving for my state's homeschool conference next month. They're featuring a series on different homeschooling methods. I finally saw the lineup--and the first one on the list is a TJed class. It's given by some guy who seems to be quite big in the TJed world, whereas I'm just a mom who does classical. I wonder how that happened, sigh. He'll probably have a fancy slick presentation. Now I'm inadequate.

The "Intro to TJed" class is the day before my intro class, and the "Seven Keys" class will be right after my "Nuts and Bolts" class on the last day. Um. I'm wondering if I should go to the classes and how to be polite if anyone asks my opinion during my classes...any advice?

I signed up too!

I signed up as well! Should be fun!

Dangermom, when I speak at conferences and am asked about TJEd, I just say that it wasn't something that worked with my kids and this is what I prefer. Since I'm a classical/Charlotte Mason/unit studies kind of girl, I usually tell people that they are never going to find ONE philosophy that they will follow 100% without deviation. Most people eventually find what works best for them and their kids....and it's usually a combo of stuff. I've never gotten flamed for that or had an angry TJEd speaker burst in to the conference room and chew me out. :lol: Also, people usually come up to speak with you after the presentations.....you can give them more specifics then...when the microphone is turned off. :D

Ok, I need some suggestions for Enrichment (or whatever we're calling it now, LOL). I'm the second counselor in the RS presidency and in charge of Enrichment meetings. What are you all doing in your ward? What did you love doing?

We're doing pressure cooking in August, which I'm excited about, because pressure cooking has always scared me a bit. We're also making pajama bottoms and matching pillowcases sometime this fall (cheap and easy Christmas gift if you have a big extended family you need to do gift exchanges with), but I'd like some more fun ideas.

Thanks!!