Menu

Another book appropriateness question

Ds has really gone crazy with his reading lately. He is going through the Warrior cats books really fast - there are tons of them but they aren't going to last as long as I had hoped. With that in mind, I started looking at other series and found the Percy Jackson books. Do these have any content that would be inappropriate for a 7yo advanced reader? He likes Greek mythology and adventure stories in general, but not anything super scary.

Also, any other suggestions? We are getting ready to take a 2 week vacation to visit family and I need plenty of books to take along.

My son read them beginning a few months before he turned 9. It was borderline for me at that age and I'd lean toward a no for a 7yr old. It has a lot of violence, it refers to adultery quite a bit (how else would you get demi-gods?), and has a small amount of domestic violence innuendos. Nothing is too overt except the violence but the subjects are a little mature and may be disturbing. My DDs just turned 7 and I wouldn't let their brother pick it for a read aloud just yet.

I've been reading the books out loud to my 6-year-old and she LOVES them. There is quite a bit of movie-style fighting but it's not gory or realistic so it doesn't scare my child. The books aren't part of the horror genre at all - the scary things are suspenseful in a fantasy-adventure way, not creepy and horrifying. There is a lot of wisecracking and other humor. The series gets slightly darker as it proceeds, but not nearly to the extent that Harry Potter does. Still, you might want to pre-read or at least pre-skim.

We think the books are funny, clever, exciting, and suspenseful, and they've led to a tremendous interest in Greek mythology for my daughter.

One caveat: my daughter has developed such a passionate interest in Percy Jackson that she's decided the Greek gods are real. That doesn't bother me, but it would probably bother a committed Christian! There are quite a few scenes of magic and of kids praying and/or making sacrifices to their Olympian parents. Again, nothing that bothers me in the slightest, but I thought I'd mention it.

The Percy Jackson stories are pretty violent. I did read the first aloud to my boys and they've read others on their own, and I didn't find anything I felt to be truly objectionable, but if your child is affected by reading violence, I'd wait a little longer.

How about Time Cat? (Lloyd Alexander...actually his Prydain series is a great adventure series too!)

Cat

Ds has really gone crazy with his reading lately. He is going through the Warrior cats books really fast - there are tons of them but they aren't going to last as long as I had hoped. With that in mind, I started looking at other series and found the Percy Jackson books. Do these have any content that would be inappropriate for a 7yo advanced reader? He likes Greek mythology and adventure stories in general, but not anything super scary.

Also, any other suggestions? We are getting ready to take a 2 week vacation to visit family and I need plenty of books to take along.

My son loved the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books for a while. He was getting through 2-3 a week. I think he petered out around book 11 or so (there are 14 or 15 in the series), but he got so into them.

I only read part of the first one, but it seemed age-appropriate to me (he was about 6-1/2 at the time). They were somewhat violent, he told me, but only owl violence. ;)

G'hoole is much more violent than Percy Jackson. The Owls fight with claws and there is bleeding.

I've 'allowed' them all. I am not sure how one can stop a voracious reader. My hsers read nearly 5 books novels a week each.

I am only asking how on earth one could find that many books without conflict/plot month after month, year after year. :D I am not even sure what happens if a 7 year old child does read age level books with conflict...as long as they are not having nightmares, how would reading Percy or G'hoole owl adventures harm a child? There are no intense or graphic images of torture, and there is no sex.

What are we trying to protect them from, anyway? How fragile are contemporary kids? I am not speaking to 'twaddle'--Sweet Valley High, Junie B, or Twilight here...just the simple basics of conflict and age appropriate excitement...and I will even leave out HP books past the first ones, as they do get intense and I don't think all 7 years are ready for that. Percy and G'hoole are not Half Blood Prince or Deathly Hallows, or Twilight sex.

And don't get all over me about Twaddle. :) lol My kids are readers...and if you read that much, you will end up having read some twaddle over the years. I have no issues with a certain amount twaddle. None whatsoever.

Edited by LibraryLover

I read the first one and talked to him about it, that it does have fighting in it and some monsters. He said he wanted to try it anyway, and wound up reading the whole thing in 24 hrs. I liked it enough that I'm going to keep reading them so I'll be able to talk to him about them as we go too. Thanks for the feedback everyone, and I'll be checking out the other recs as well.