Menu

Re-using Workbooks!!

katnorman

I know many of you have mentioned re-using workbooks through different kiddos, but I am wondering how you have done this?? I know I am way overthinking this:confused: I really curious with The Critical Thinking Company workbooks as I would love to not buy them 4 times :tongue_smilie:

If you have cut them apart and laminated them, is it more cost effective??

I got the kids a "workbook window", if you google it it will come up on a website to purchase.

It is nice, it is a large laminated "window" ( it is like 24 inches by 15 inches) on a heavy board (other side is felt board so you can use it also for felt board play ).

I just insert their workbooks into the top of the "workbook window" in the workbook's "open position" and my children can then fill the pages out with a dry erase marker, bring it to me for correction, then they erase it and give it to the next child to work on. It is nice because their is no slippage of the plastic sheet like before when I used transparencies on the workbooks (these slipped and caused my children to make marks all over the workbooks). It also keeps the workbook fully opened, so I don't have to bend the book up to fit it into one of those narrow 9 X 12 inch smaller plastic sheet holders that do not fit the thicker workbooks.

This saves me tons of money on purchasing more then one workbook per kid and allows me to use the workbooks over and over again for the younger kids.

The "workbook window" costs about $ 25.00 or so, but it is well made, sturdy, easy to erase and holds up with my kids rough handling. I only had to purchase one and they share it, it has paid itself back in all the money I saved in getting to re-use the workbooks over and over again !

Crayola actually has come out with something similar to the "workbook window" mentioned above.

One tip, we use the dry erase crayons on page protectors that way the kids can color and not have to worry about the markers erasing before their ready. My lefty was erasing his work as he wrote with the dry erase markers but the dry erase crayons are just waxy enough to stay on the page even with his hand wiping the page. You actually have to use a dry erase eraser or piece of felt to remove the dry erase crayon from the page.

Crayola actually has come out with something similar to the "workbook window" mentioned above.

One tip, we use the dry erase crayons on page protectors that way the kids can color and not have to worry about the markers erasing before their ready. My lefty was erasing his work as he wrote with the dry erase markers but the dry erase crayons are just waxy enough to stay on the page even with his hand wiping the page. You actually have to use a dry erase eraser or piece of felt to remove the dry erase crayon from the page.

Do you have a link to the crayola one?

I found the Crayola one at Michael's recently, it was $12.99 and I used a 40% off coupon, so after tax it was just over $8. Then last night, after reading this, I ordered the workbook window, too, just because apparently I have too much money floating around my PP. ... or rather, I viewed it as spending money to save money, as I can now use all the workbooks I've been holding on to because I didn't want to "chop them up," and I'd have to do that to be able to use the Crayola thing. So we'll keep the Crayola one for print-outs or the workbook from which I already removed the pages, and use entire workbooks (like ETC and the Singapore math ones) in the window. Thank you for the recommendation!

I cut them and put them in page protectors, but we use Sharpies instead of dry erase markers. The dry erase ones wipe off too easily, but the Sharpies stay put until I get around to grading them. They clean up easily with alcohol and a rag.

I love the Workbox Window as you slip the whole workbook in, spread out to two pages already. I don't use it much though as I only have one child. If I had multiple children, I'd use the Workbox Window and dry erase crayons which don't wipe off easily.

On ones that are just writing, I have them do it over on regular paper. If it requires coloring or math problems, etc, I use a transparency sheet. Of course when I sent the MUS text w/ a friend from church who was thinking about helping w/ some math issues my oldest has, it really freaked her out that none of the pages in the book were worked LOL. I had to explain that we do them with transparency so they can be worked repeatedly as needed. We use either the crayola dry erase crayons (awesome invention) or fine tip dry erase markers for doing the work.

I know many of you have mentioned re-using workbooks through different kiddos, but I am wondering how you have done this?? I know I am way overthinking this:confused: I really curious with The Critical Thinking Company workbooks as I would love to not buy them 4 times :tongue_smilie:

If you have cut them apart and laminated them, is it more cost effective??

I just got our thinking skills workbooks out today for summer. What I did was just cut the hole-punched side off of a page protector so that it slips right onto the workbook page without having to cut the book. I don't like taking the binding off my books if I can help it. My kids work the problem with a dry erase marker. I know someone sells special sleeves that fit better onto a workbook. Maybe RR? But mine work fine for our purposes.

ETA: That workbook window sounds very neat. Slippage is a problem at times. My favorite thing to do if the workbook will allow for it is to stick a post-it note on the page. The beginning mind-benders work well with a large post-it note. I was working on the Perplexors today and they do NOT work with a post-it note. :tongue_smilie: Logic Links are great because they are 100% non-consumable. Although those chips are consumable by toddlers. Don't ask me how I know. :D

Edited by silliness7

I just got our thinking skills workbooks out today for summer. What I did was just cut the hole-punched side off of a page protector so that it slips right onto the workbook page without having to cut the book. I don't like taking the binding off my books if I can help it. My kids work the problem with a dry erase marker. I know someone sells special sleeves that fit better onto a workbook. Maybe RR? But mine work fine for our purposes.

What a great idea! One of those that you know is brilliant because, in retrospect, it seems obvious.

Here's the link to the Reading Rainbow version, by the way. They cost $1.75, but look pretty durable. (Now I wish I hadn't already made my RR purchase for the year. Oh, well, I have plenty of cheap page protectors I can massacre!)

For the slippage problem--have you tried paper clips or the mini binder clips? Is there just not enough there to "grab"?

I really am intrigued by that Workbook Window. I'm trying to scrounge together a similar thing here at home for the sake of thriftiness. I thought I had an old plastic table cloth but I can't find it. Not sure what I was going to attach it too.

But found something that works great for thinner workbooks that you can bend back flat. Just slip those into the front of a 3-ring binder that's got the clear sleeve on the front. Nice fit. No slippage. I know a particular child of mine who will appreciate this method much more than my slip-on page protector. picky. picky.:tongue_smilie:

And if you already own one (or ten) of these binders it's totally free. :D

What a great idea! One of those that you know is brilliant because, in retrospect, it seems obvious.

Here's the link to the Reading Rainbow version, by the way. They cost $1.75, but look pretty durable. (Now I wish I hadn't already made my RR purchase for the year. Oh, well, I have plenty of cheap page protectors I can massacre!)

For the slippage problem--have you tried paper clips or the mini binder clips? Is there just not enough there to "grab"?

Those look awesome! Definitely adding them to my order.

I really am intrigued by that Workbook Window. I'm trying to scrounge together a similar thing here at home for the sake of thriftiness. I thought I had an old plastic table cloth but I can't find it. Not sure what I was going to attach it too.

But found something that works great for thinner workbooks that you can bend back flat. Just slip those into the front of a 3-ring binder that's got the clear sleeve on the front. Nice fit. No slippage. I know a particular child of mine who will appreciate this method much more than my slip-on page protector. picky. picky.:tongue_smilie:

Well, my husband likes to pick up cheap framed large art at Goodwill just for the plastic "glass" covering the artwork. It's actually acrylic. He uses it with his games--he can put it on the tiny little cardboard counters and they'll stay put for next time. Plus, this is the same stuff that is used for dry-erase boards, so he can easily write what was going on and then return to his game later.

I have no idea how much this stuff would slip, but I can easily see having fun making a new frame for the right size acrylic that could accomodate your workbook. Sounds a little better than a vinyl tablecloth to me, for some reason.

Well, my husband likes to pick up cheap framed large art at Goodwill just for the plastic "glass" covering the artwork. It's actually acrylic. He uses it with his games--he can put it on the tiny little cardboard counters and they'll stay put for next time. Plus, this is the same stuff that is used for dry-erase boards, so he can easily write what was going on and then return to his game later.

I have no idea how much this stuff would slip, but I can easily see having fun making a new frame for the right size acrylic that could accomodate your workbook. Sounds a little better than a vinyl tablecloth to me, for some reason.

That is fabulous!! Yes, much better than the tablecloth. :D

I have never tried any of these ideas, but a thought just came to me. I have a laminator that just laminates, 8 1/2 x 11 (or something like that). I bet if I just ran through the laminating sheet with nothing in it, I wonder if that would work:glare:, guess I'll need to try it.

I have never tried any of these ideas, but a thought just came to me. I have a laminator that just laminates, 8 1/2 x 11 (or something like that). I bet if I just ran through the laminating sheet with nothing in it, I wonder if that would work:glare:, guess I'll need to try it.

Great idea!! I went and got one of my laminating sheets and just slipped it over a workbook page. I used a permanent marker and it worked perfectly!! Since the laminating sheet is 'sealed' at the top (instead of the side), it held onto the workbook page without slipping at all. All of the marker wiped off with rubbing alcohol.

:party:

Edited by Clover11