WWYD? Summer birthday party

Where would you have the party?  

1. 1. Where would you have the party?

• Home
    • Reservable shelter with a busy playground
    • Reservable shelter with no playground, but privacy
    • Non-Reservable shelter with playground
    • I have a better idea!

DD's birthday is at the end of the summer. I need to pick a place to have her party. Our choices:

1. Have the party at home. Our house is not huge, but if everyone was in the backyard it would be fine.

2. Reserve a shelter at a park with a playground. The pro would be the playground, free, and assurance that we would have the space. The con is that the playground is crazy busy during the summer and the shelter is a bit of a walk from the parking lot and the playground.

3. Reserve a shelter at a park without a playground. The pro would be that it would be less busy and we'd have more privacy, as well as assurance that we would have a space. The con is that there is no playground (although I could bring some outdoor games and there are lots of trees and walking trails) and that I would have to put down a refundable $50 deposit.

4. Use a first-come-first-served shelter at a park with a playground. The pros are that it's free, there are more varieties of playgrounds to choose from and this choice would include some of our favorite parks. The cons are that we would be gambling on whether or not we'd have the shelter, and we'd probably have to get there really early to stake our claim.

Edited by roxanne23

Do you have a city pool you can use? I have reserved a shade/table area for my dd's birthday in the past, and will do so for my son this year. You can leave a note at the desk so they can sign in for the birthday. It's about $3/kid here, plus the $25 shade rental. That's cheap to me. I've timed it for early and have lots of fruit and donuts, then cake later (which you can usually keep in their air conditioned office so it won't melt too badly). Or lunchtime sandwiches and fruit, or later in the evening we had pizza delivered. That way it's all out of my house, cool in the heat of summer, and pretty cheap. This is what my son wants to do this year with a Spongebob theme, but I might get him to switch to a shark theme. DD has done beachballs and flip flops, luau, and Little Mermaid.

PS if you do this, order a cake bigger than you think, or make extra cupcakes, and leave them for the hard working lifeguards. They'll love you for it!:D

I think an outdoor birthday party without the playground sounds grand! Kids don't need a playground to have fun. :) Just bring bubbles, balls and outside games and have a blast! If there's water available nearby, bring water toys too. One of my boys' favorite summer events is their friend's birthday party--just bubbles, toys, water squirters and cake.

Cat

Do you have a city pool you can use? I have reserved a shade/table area for my dd's birthday in the past, and will do so for my son this year. You can leave a note at the desk so they can sign in for the birthday. It's about $3/kid here, plus the $25 shade rental. That's cheap to me. I've timed it for early and have lots of fruit and donuts, then cake later (which you can usually keep in their air conditioned office so it won't melt too badly). Or lunchtime sandwiches and fruit, or later in the evening we had pizza delivered. That way it's all out of my house, cool in the heat of summer, and pretty cheap. This is what my son wants to do this year with a Spongebob theme, but I might get him to switch to a shark theme. DD has done beachballs and flip flops, luau, and Little Mermaid.

PS if you do this, order a cake bigger than you think, or make extra cupcakes, and leave them for the hard working lifeguards. They'll love you for it!:D

We have a community pool/outdoor waterpark. There is a coupon party where I can get 10 kids and their adults in for $25. The only down side is that there isn't a patio or table that you can reserve. We could pay to reserve a room inside, though we are only allowed to bring cake and punch. (That wouldn't be a problem for me, but DH's family would be unhappy about not having a meal.)

We have a community pool/outdoor waterpark. There is a coupon party where I can get 10 kids and their adults in for $25. The only down side is that there isn't a patio or table that you can reserve. We could pay to reserve a room inside, though we are only allowed to bring cake and punch. (That wouldn't be a problem for me, but DH's family would be unhappy about not having a meal.)

This is what I would do. :)