Menu

Burn out?!

Has anyone gone through a Major Burnout? I have to say, after this year, I was about ready to throw in the towel. I am feeling better now, but, though I have plans for the summer, am wondering if I need a breather. (I just hate the thought of having soooo much to review in the fall!)

We've actually taken a break for 3 weeks, since our co-op ended. I hope I am not the only one who has felt this way! :confused:

Bless your heart....:grouphug: No, you are not the only one. We moved back home to CA from AZ in December, and then we all proceeded to get sick off & on for 2 months! I was stressed, overwhelmed and totally burnt out! We decided in February to just stick with the 3 Rs and cut back on history and science, except for living books. I'm starting to feel better now....looking forward to August when we start up again.

I think I've burned out and burned my kids out at times. :(

I hear ya on not wanting to review so much in the fall and I felt the same way when we schooled yr round. As of last yr, I don't school during the summer months. I have seen the NEED for an extended break period. My kids are a little older so they did retain a bit (they didn't have a complete mental "dump" over the summer).

I don't know you, so maybe my general advice won't apply, but my general advice is this; Read Ecclesiastes and make sure you are teaching to YOUR strengths and style and not JUST your children's strengths and style.

Reading Ecclesiastes helps me get centered and back on track with what is important. I stop "chasing the wind" and slow down without fear and guilt.

I'm self-educating now, but when I was homeschooling, at times I got really off track teaching far outside of my comfort and interest zone, trying to teach to the child's interests and style. It upsets the whole family dynamic and parent/child relationship when things got too child centered. Homeschooling is a LOT of work and I would spend SO much time on things uncomfortable to me, hours and hours preparing the perfect lessons for children who were off playing video games who expected mom to spend 3 hours to prepare a 5 minute perfect, spoon fed lesson, so they could quickly get back to their video games. That was off, very off.

What is important to you in general about life? What are your personal and family and educational mission statements?

What excites you about teaching? What is your teaching style?

Edited by Hunter

You are not the only one. It's hard enough in a good year, but with medical issues, it's extremely hard to keep going and stay positive and motivated.

Before I started homeschooling, I read in many books that February is a hard month for homeshoolers. In my experience, though, April has been the worst. I've even wondered if pollen has something to do with the crash I experience each year at that time. It's also tends to be the busiest month for us with spring sports starting and a lot of outside commintments, a drag on me when my energy is already low.

I've never been able to fully recuperate from the spring doldrums and once June comes, we're just squeaking by, working everyday but somehow accomplishing much less. Thankfully, by then, coop is over and some subjects have been finished for the year.

I felt so bad about it this year that I decided to give one dd a standardized test to check that she was on track and she amazed me by scoring in the 99th percentile overall. I guess working hard while we can for the first three-quarters of the year pays off.

Do what you need to do now to take care of yourself. Reading good books is enough. Sometimes I wonder if all the work we do compares to reading good books anyway. You could even have your dc write letters to relatives to work some writing in on the sly.

I think I'd want to look at everything I'm doing and see what exactly is causing the burnout. Is it the co-op? I think I'd get burned out doing one.

Look at your curriculum as well. Is there any subject that is taking longer than it should, are there any overlaps between curriculum, or are there any subjects that could be done independently?

Has anyone gone through a Major Burnout? I have to say, after this year, I was about ready to throw in the towel. I am feeling better now, but, though I have plans for the summer, am wondering if I need a breather. (I just hate the thought of having soooo much to review in the fall!)

We've actually taken a break for 3 weeks, since our co-op ended. I hope I am not the only one who has felt this way! :confused:

I wouldn't say I've ever had major burnout, but I definately feel somedays that I'm teetering on the edge of burnout. I started schooling year round last year. I've taken a week or two here and there, and we don't do as much during the summer. I could use a longer break too, but I don't want to take off the whole summer.

This is the first year I have felt like this as well....it is also the first year I have participated in a co-op, so I have been wondering if it has been that. This last month that co-op was over has been much more enjoyable. Unfortunately (for me) now that we've done the co-op one year, my kids and dh want to continue it every year. :tongue_smilie: It is true that all of us have made some awesome friendships but I kind of wish we had never started it...

I used to feel major burnout at the end of every school year. Some years moreso than others. We followed the PS schedule for 9 yrs. By April I was so burnt out that some years I'd barely teach a thing for the last 2 months of school. What a waste! Then I finally tried year round schooling and that's what's solved the problem for me. We school for several weeks (usually 3-6), then have vacations of 1-3 weeks. It feels like we're either having vacation or have one coming right on the horizon all the time, which is great for all of us. :001_smile: My burn out seems to have disappeared. No more lonnnnnng school years.

I wouldn't say I've ever had major burnout, but I definately feel somedays that I'm teetering on the edge of burnout. I started schooling year round last year. I've taken a week or two here and there, and we don't do as much during the summer. I could use a longer break too, but I don't want to take off the whole summer.

I used to feel major burnout at the end of every school year. Some years moreso than others. We followed the PS schedule for 9 yrs. By April I was so burnt out that some years I'd barely teach a thing for the last 2 months of school. What a waste! Then I finally tried year round schooling and that's what's solved the problem for me. We school for several weeks (usually 3-6), then have vacations of 1-3 weeks. It feels like we're either having vacation or have one coming right on the horizon all the time, which is great for all of us. :001_smile: My burn out seems to have disappeared. No more lonnnnnng school years.

Like the OP I will be trying to avoid another burnout. I'm curious, do you just school for "however many weeks", and then when you start to feel tired just take a break for awhile, or do you purposefully schedule your breaks in?

Oh yes. Last summer was a rough one for me. We typically only do a 6 week summer break so as not to have tons of review in the fall, but what I did was then take off another week in August (we started mid-July, schooled 3 or 4 weeks, then took another week off). I like a more year-round schedule so we can take time off as needed.

Hang in there, this year was much better for me, and I hope it will be for you too! (((Hugs))) Merry :-)

I school year-round (3 weeks on and 1 off) and I never feel burned out. I would definitely feel burned out if I went along with the school year - not for me!

I keep wanting to try this. Maybe now is the time!

I think I'd want to look at everything I'm doing and see what exactly is causing the burnout. Is it the co-op? I think I'd get burned out doing one.

Look at your curriculum as well. Is there any subject that is taking longer than it should, are there any overlaps between curriculum, or are there any subjects that could be done independently?

This was one major thought I had this year. I have been trying to do more "classically" and stay away from workbooks, but perhaps it has been more draining and less productive.

This is the first year I have felt like this as well....it is also the first year I have participated in a co-op, so I have been wondering if it has been that. This last month that co-op was over has been much more enjoyable. Unfortunately (for me) now that we've done the co-op one year, my kids and dh want to continue it every year. :tongue_smilie: It is true that all of us have made some awesome friendships but I kind of wish we had never started it...

I just resigned as a tutor for a well-known co-op! I had an over-loaded year between tutoring and my own kids. I know next-year would have been so much easier had I stayed, but another problem I was having was our schedule. It was conflicting with my husband's; he is off on Friday and Saturday. Trying to finish on Friday was really stressful. The kids were distracted with Dad home, and Dad was bummed that we were otherwise occupied. This played a Major role in the decision to withdraw. I (and my boys) are grieving the loss of our community, but it is the right decision. I am sure that is why I have been so exhausted.

Thanks for all of the insight. It has confirmed what I was intuiting.

Yes. My solutions?

1. School year round so you can have breaks ALL year long with NO guilt. 3 weeks on 1 week off. 6 weeks on 1 week off 8 weeks on 2 weeks off. Any kinda combo that works for your family!

2. I switched curriculum, not something I've ever done before, but the relief I felt from not having to plan EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. out is amazing. :D

3. I listened to a bunch of audios/mp3's on topics/areas of the homeschool I felt we needed "help" in. ;)

Yes, I'm trying to pull myself out of one now - this dark period lasted 2 years!! Faithe - I hope you don't mind, but I searched your blog and found it. I remember reading it back in February & it was very helpful to me, so I'll link it here. It was good to read it again. My burnout was triggered by a few things -

1. birth of a preemie (and preemies tend to have extra needy personalities. I didn't get much sleep!) Now she's a toddler, and that seems even more difficult. :glare:
  2. My questioning what we were doing and why were we doing it. Why were we doing Spelling when there was no rhyme or reason to what words my kids could actually spell (or couldn't spell)? Why was it taking us 11mths to get through a Grammar book, only to then get the next grade level and study the same topics all over again? Why were we skipping Writing & focusing so heavily on Grammar & Spelling? Why were we so behind in math and how could I fix it? What is important? Why am I here? lol.

Those 2 things really collided simultaneously - I found I didn't like what I was doing and I didn't have the time or knowledge or energy to try figuring out something on my own. This year has been a big experiment year where I find out what works & what doesn't.

Koala Mom's answer was spot-on, as well (except we haven't tried taking regular breaks...that one's next on my list to try!) I read a lot of different books, searching for that "Yeah, that's right!" or "No, not at all!" response in myself. I found a few books that really spoke to me about education. I also switched to Time4Learning - this gave me much needed time to spend with the toddler in the morning & get some housework done. Since I was having that total crisis, I figured that at least T4L would teach the basics (which I wasn't willing to teach because it all seemed futile to me, lol) I've made some huge mistakes in how I used T4L, but now that I'm through the worst of things, I've been reviewing T4L and have found some really cool features. I just need to oversee use of the program a little better and I think my kids will have a decent education. I may continue using it until the toddler is around age 3 (which is another rough age, BUT there is more they can do to amuse themselves).

Thanks for all these thoughts. I'm right in it.... I"m so tired of teaching reading, handwriting to my younger kids and feeling like a failure. NOW, I see myself avoiding them (the subjects...not the kids) and that isn't good! We do coops... I"m wondering... but can't drop them! Our entire community is involved - they are so good for us on some levels. My main issue is my 9 year old is dyslexic and we are in a 2 year tutoring program for him - 4 days a week we get in the car, drive 3 miles, drop him, drive home, do school with someone for 30 mins, drive back and get him. All in the middle of the morning (and through the summer). It is needed for him... but it's hard on everyone else and school days. Our oldest is going to private high school next year. That is some relief for me... until he gets home in the afternoon. He still requires much overseeing. I'm praying that eases as he gets back into school. I'm trying to take a breather. But, I do have goals for the kids - math facts, typing (dyslexic HAS to learn this ASAP) and reading. I did just remove spelling from our summer list. Hmm.. year round sounds good. One of our greatest blessings is schooling on a street with 5 other families ... but sometimes it makes it hard to do things different from the crowd - like schooling all year.

Thanks for listening. I'm hoping our convention this weekend will get me going again too. I was so enthusiastic 3 years ago when we started... I never thought I'd feel so burned out. :(.

Thank you for all the reading recommendations - especially Ecclesiastes. I'm going to bring this to prayer more and focus as several of you said on what are my goals, strengths... why are we doing this in the first place.

Start with Bible. Seriously, this makes a difference :). Jesus said seek ye first the kingdom of God - if evrything else is a wash, no worries :). I need to remind myself of this time and time again. It can be so easy to get distracted by academics, but for most homeschoolers our goals are really DISCIPLESHIP, academics are a second level priority.

We also go year round - 4 days/week, two days on - one off, two days on - one off, Shabbat (day of rest). Repeat. The days off of school are work project days/errands etc. We also take impromptu days off for trips to relatives etc.

Like the OP I will be trying to avoid another burnout. I'm curious, do you just school for "however many weeks", and then when you start to feel tired just take a break for awhile, or do you purposefully schedule your breaks in?

What works for me is scheduling our year ahead of time. I make a copy of a calendar for the year, then stare at it & brainstorm until I decide exactly where I want to stick our 36 weeks of school. I use a highlighter to highlight the vacation weeks.

HERE is a link to a picture of our simple calendar that hangs on our bulletin board. Don't ask me why this is just a 2011 calendar instead of a Sept 2010 through Aug 2011 calendar as it should be. It's complicated. Anyway you get the idea. :tongue_smilie:

I schedule around family events. Like, I gave us 4 whole weeks off at the end of Sept for when our baby is due. And a week off during my son's birthday. And two weeks off during the time my son's dad will be moving out of state & my son will be helping him. That sort of thing.

I do all my lesson planning during the breaks for the upcoming chunk of school weeks.

That's how it works for me. :D

I don't know you, so maybe my general advice won't apply, but my general advice is this; Read Ecclesiastes and make sure you are teaching to YOUR strengths and style and not JUST your children's strengths and style.

Reading Ecclesiastes helps me get centered and back on track with what is important. I stop "chasing the wind" and slow down without fear and guilt.

I'm self-educating now, but when I was homeschooling, at times I got really off track teaching far outside of my comfort and interest zone, trying to teach to the child's interests and style. It upsets the whole family dynamic and parent/child relationship when things got too child centered. Homeschooling is a LOT of work and I would spend SO much time on things uncomfortable to me, hours and hours preparing the perfect lessons for children who were off playing video games who expected mom to spend 3 hours to prepare a 5 minute perfect, spoon fed lesson, so they could quickly get back to their video games. That was off, very off.

What is important to you in general about life? What are your personal and family and educational mission statements?

What excites you about teaching? What is your teaching style?

:iagree: This advice keeps ringing true as I stray away from it and then realize my mistakes. If you have a plan that was made for good reason, if you have an underlying teaching philosophy or educational method that you wholeheartedly believe in, etc. don't abandon it.

Something I've learned this spring is to LET GO of the mental overwhelmedness (is that a word?). If I was doing housework or yardwork, I had guilt because I should be doing school-related stuff (there really is alot there waiting for me). If I focused on school, I felt guilt over the house, garden, & quality of meals. Even if I took a break, I held onto it all in my head, keeping myself stressed out. When you take a break, really take a break. When you decide to do something or focus on something, let go of the rest for that moment. It sounds obvious, but for people like me who keep everything circling the front of their mind constantly, it had to be learned.

I only realized it yesterday as I was forming garden rows for the pea plants and gave myself permission to just let go of the guilt of not working on anything school-related.

Start with Bible. Seriously, this makes a difference :). Jesus said seek ye first the kingdom of God - if evrything else is a wash, no worries :). I need to remind myself of this time and time again. It can be so easy to get distracted by academics, but for most homeschoolers our goals are really DISCIPLESHIP, academics are a second level priority.

YES! Many times my early morning Bible reading goes by the wayside....

What works for me is scheduling our year ahead of time. I make a copy of a calendar for the year, then stare at it & brainstorm until I decide exactly where I want to stick our 36 weeks of school. I use a highlighter to highlight the vacation weeks.

HERE is a link to a picture of our simple calendar that hangs on our bulletin board. Don't ask me why this is just a 2011 calendar instead of a Sept 2010 through Aug 2011 calendar as it should be. It's complicated. Anyway you get the idea. :tongue_smilie:

I schedule around family events. Like, I gave us 4 whole weeks off at the end of Sept for when our baby is due. And a week off during my son's birthday. And two weeks off during the time my son's dad will be moving out of state & my son will be helping him. That sort of thing.

I do all my lesson planning during the breaks for the upcoming chunk of school weeks.

That's how it works for me. :D

Thank you! :001_smile:

:iagree: This advice keeps ringing true as I stray away from it and then realize my mistakes. If you have a plan that was made for good reason, if you have an underlying teaching philosophy or educational method that you wholeheartedly believe in, etc. don't abandon it.

Something I've learned this spring is to LET GO of the mental overwhelmedness (is that a word?). If I was doing housework or yardwork, I had guilt because I should be doing school-related stuff (there really is alot there waiting for me). If I focused on school, I felt guilt over the house, garden, & quality of meals. Even if I took a break, I held onto it all in my head, keeping myself stressed out. When you take a break, really take a break. When you decide to do something or focus on something, let go of the rest for that moment. It sounds obvious, but for people like me who keep everything circling the front of their mind constantly, it had to be learned.

I only realized it yesterday as I was forming garden rows for the pea plants and gave myself permission to just let go of the guilt of not working on anything school-related.

This is me, EXACTLY. I'm still learning how to let go.....

You're not the only one! I'm burnt out on everything. On life. We moved from CA to MD last summer and the weather's been horrible and we were sick on and off for 5 months. I feel like we've been inside for years with kids just climbing the walls and making each other crazy. I'm exhausted. And irritable. And I feel incredibly guilty about everything.