Menu

What are some quick low carb meal options

that are tree nut, peanut and lunch meat (nitrate) free?

I'm having trouble figuring out what I would eat in a pinch other than string cheese. :glare:

I know for lunch and dinner I can eat a serving of meat and half a plate of veggies and/or some beans.

Breakfast seems harder especially since I don't like boiled eggs.

Anyone? :)

that are tree nut, peanut and lunch meat (nitrate) free?

I'm having trouble figuring out what I would eat in a pinch other than string cheese. :glare:

I know for lunch and dinner I can eat a serving of meat and half a plate of veggies and/or some beans.

Breakfast seems harder especially since I don't like boiled eggs.

Anyone? :)

Breakfast - Do you like scrambled eggs? I eat two every day. LOVE them. My kids will make themselves omlets - eggs, cheese, bacon, feta.

When my dh did this, we'd cook a chicken or turkey and put serving sized-portions in ziploc bags. He'd take it to work with lettuce, feta, tomato, and some dressing. Instalunch!!!

We do scrambled eggs and omelets. There's also scrambled egg muffins:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/scrambled-egg-muffins/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Baked-Egg-Muffins/Detail.aspx

Yogurt with fruit is good too.

I also bought a ham. Sliced it up, bagged it into smaller portions and froze most of it. Everyone here is happy to have a couple of slices of ham with their eggs.

Dh eats cheddar cheese and milk for breakfast every morning. It really fills him up. You could also make smoothies with yogurt. I add coconut oil and sometimes even raw eggs, if I have good quality ones from a farm. I put a natural sweetener in it such as turbinado sugar or maple syrup.

When you say quick, do you mean something you can just buy off the shelf? If not ... We eat an Indian food called Chana. It is cooked and then dried chickpeas (I sometimes put it in the oven on low) with salt and cumin on them.

I make bean patties with some sort of filler - oatmeal does fine - and eggs for a binder. I then add spices according to the bean and fry them like a hamburger. You can add condiments to them, again going by which kind of bean it is.

There are some nitrate free lunch meats out there. Hormel makes some that we like a lot.

And pinto beans! I love my pinto beans! Just saute some onions and serve it with them (although we usually eat it with cornbread). That is super easy. I soak them overnight and then put them in the crock pot all day.

For me, what makes a meal easy is not having to pull out a recipe but being able to have a pattern to go by (like with the bean patties) and then being creative with what I have.

HTH!

My fav breakfast is a Mission Low Carb tortilla (3 net carbs) with melted cheese and a little chicken. Depending on the veggies I have on hand I will wrap those in too. Great way to get protein and fiber.

I also make the egg muffins. The trick is to use whole eggs, not egg whites or some other such substitute. Too watery when you reheat it. Or maybe that's the veggies? Dunno.

I also often make a big smoothie with spinach, greek yogurt, blueberries and coconut oil.

I love tuna or chicken salad for lunch so I often make a big batch and scoop out what amounts to 3oz of chicken/tuna. There's other veggies in there and hard boiled eggs and a little cheddar cheese. YUM!

Mostly though my lunch is a soup. I make huge batches of veggie soup, or creamy cauliflower, or kale and sausage, or lentil, etc. I freeze it in 1 1/2- 2 c portions and it makes a great filling lunch. I also heat it and put it in a thermos for my days when I am out of the house.

One Minute Muffin

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 packet Splenda (I use 3 as I like it sweet)

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 large egg

1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 11.1 total carbs, 8.8 fiber, for 2.3 net carbs.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added. You can substitute 1 T cocoa for cinnamon.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

I make my own spaghetti sauce and freeze it. I like it over brocolli and cauliflower with some cheese on top.

Salads are always good.

Tuna patties, ground beef patties, bean patties all can be made ahead of time and are good low carb meals. Top with something yummy: cheese, salsa...

salsa with raw carrots or veggies

stirfrys keep cooked chicken, steak.. on hand and then stirfry with some veggies - a meal in mere minutes.

try different cheeses don't just go with a plain old cheese stick

One of my go to snacks when I was pregnant was a cheese stick wrapped in a slice of ham or turkey and then some dipping sauce. I liked Ranch dressing which is really not low carb but the carbs were miniscule when I just used it as a dipping sauce.

about.com has some low carb menus that I have been meaning to try.

One Minute Muffin

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 packet Splenda (I use 3 as I like it sweet)

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 large egg

1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 11.1 total carbs, 8.8 fiber, for 2.3 net carbs.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added. You can substitute 1 T cocoa for cinnamon.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

I have muffin in a minute most mornings for breakfast...but with some changes...I don't add the butter, I do add 1-2 tbsp of unsweetened applesauce and a few crumbled walnuts - very satisfying! Another alternate are frozen blueberries. Slice and butter and eat with sf syrup drizzled on top or no sugar added fruit preserves - I don't feel deprived!

Another good morning food (that I've heard you can make in advance)

Cottage cheese pancakes:

2 eggs

3 tbsp flour (ww or white, your choice)

1-2 splenda

1 cup cottage cheese

Spray pan with Pam, pour small scoop of mixture on heated pan, allow to cook for ~2 minutes before flipping. This makes 8 small pancakes, I make a half serving.

Warm and satisfying for breakfast. Very good with sf syrup or preserves for breakfast or this recipe can also be made with sauteed onions for a savory choice.