Menu

I need some exercise video recommedations

I've come to the conclusion that going to the gym just isn't going to happen at this point in my life, and I'll have a better chance at sticking to an exercise routine if I can do it at home.

Ideally, I'd like some videos that are about a half-hour to 45 minutes long. I want to focus primarily on strengthening my core muscles and toning up my thighs and arms. I haven't been doing any regular exercise for forever and I think I'll stick with it better if I can get into a routine without a heavy cardio workout that would leave me exhausted for the rest of the day. My favorite exercise classes have always involved pilates or dance, but I'm open to other things. DH says I need to start doing weight training because I'm a wimp. :tongue_smilie:

What videos have you enjoyed?

If you recommend something that requires extra equipment (weights or yoga ball or whatever) please list those too. TIA!

I really like Power 90 by Tony Horton. There are more intense versions of this now, like P90x. I use the original one. I like how he keeps encouraging me to take it at my own pace. The "no pain, no gain" types burn me out and I end up quitting. Power 90 keeps me going, and I've lost 34 pounds! It has 2 DVDs you alternate between, one is more cardio, the other is more strenght training. You will need light weights but that is it.

The one I go back to again and again is the 30 Day Shred. You work hard for about 25 minutes, then you're done. I love how efficient it is. I've used it for over two years and I still really like it. Plus, as you get stronger, you can make it harder by using heavier weights.

For straight strength, I echo the recommendation of Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training. Again, straight-forward and very effective.

For dance, I really enjoy Julianne Hough's videos. This one is also really fun (though it's not really belly dancing).

Some of hers are available for instant view on Netflix. I love her "Self: Bikini Ready Fast" (even though I only wear bikinis as underwear.) She's done several for Crunch and now has her own brand "The Studio."

A great site for recommendations is collagevideo.com. You can see preview clips, read reviews, and search by workout type, level, length, equipment used, etc. I can get lost on that site. AND they post new weekly sales every Wednesday. :D

Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome.

Do you have Netflix? They have a ton of streaming video workouts to pick from as well as on dvd.

Oooh! I think I'm totally under-utilizing Netflix. I'll look into what they've got. Thanks!

30 day shred is awesome, I second this, very fast, and you DEFINITELY get a fantastic workout. Love it.:)

The one I go back to again and again is the 30 Day Shred. You work hard for about 25 minutes, then you're done. I love how efficient it is. I've used it for over two years and I still really like it. Plus, as you get stronger, you can make it harder by using heavier weights.

For straight strength, I echo the recommendation of Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training. Again, straight-forward and very effective.

For dance, I really enjoy Julianne Hough's videos. This one is also really fun (though it's not really belly dancing).