Menu

How did everyone's AP exams go?

Now that 48 hours has passed since all of the AP exams were administered, how were your students' experiences?

My daughter took AP World History and thinks she did well. We were praying for discussion questions on China, which didn't show up, but Africa was her second choice, and it did, so she thinks she nailed that one. She took the exam with students from our local high school, and on the way in, she overheard some students talking about how little they knew about Africa: "We had, what, one chapter on Africa?" We stressed Africa pretty heavily, so I am sure that she was feeling pretty smug when it showed up on the exam.

She also thought the multiple choice was easier than that in the exam prep books she used. Overall, she thinks she did well and is hoping for a 4 or 5. As this is her first AP exam, though, I have no idea how her impressions will correspond with reality. Guess we will see in July!

So what did everyone else think?

Terri

Dd took AP stats after a wonderful class with PA Homeschoolers. They did lots of practice tests as prep and she studied a study guide on her own too, so she should have been well prepared.

She thought the mult choice was fine and the free response was a bit harder. She thinks she could've gotten a 4, not sure about a five.

My ds took the econ and English lit exams, and felt well prepared for them. Howard Richman's AP Economics course is so good. Both of my guys have taken his course and have learned a ton -- and had fun. My ds felt like the multiple choice and essays on econ were right in line with what he had been studying and practicing.

As far as the AP Lit exam, my ds said he ran out of time and did not answer five of the multiple choice questions. ARGH! Since there is now no 1/4 point penalty, it was reeeally hard for me not to pounce! But there is nothing that can be done. When I asked him why he didn't just fill in random bubbles, he said the proctor had called time. Sigh. My honest Abe. :)

The Q2 prose essay was the most challenging of the three essays. But it has been all along. We had selected Crime and Punishment as the last book of the year intentionally -- knowing that it would be a good book for almost any Q3 essay question. And sure enough -- a question about justice! Yaay!

The waiting is tough. July seems so far off! I hope everyone else felt well prepared and successful.

Middle son took AP Stats after 100% self studying and is fairly confident he got a 4 while hoping for a 5. The last question on the free response was "different" he said and he's not sure he worked out what they wanted. However, after reading a thread on College Confidential about the test he feels like he's not alone with it. He felt the mc was easy, but so did most of those on College Confidential.

Time will tell. I'm hoping he's correct (4 or 5).

The waiting is tough. July seems so far off! I hope everyone else felt well prepared and successful.

Amen to this. I feel like outside exams of this sort are as much an evaluation of me as of my daughter. She did what I told her to do, but did I tell her to do the right things? I have no idea but am dying to find out. I told her before she went in that if she did not do well, it would not be her fault. She did her part, but did I do mine?

I'm off to make myself a paper chain to count down the days...

Terri

If you want to pay $8, you can call and get the scores on July 1st. Here is more info: AP scores by phone

Thanks. I think we'll wait at that point as he's going to be in Jamaica until July 13th so it would just be for my sanity to call then. If it arrives in the mail I'm definitely not waiting for him to come home to open it... but $8 will probably encourage me to wait instead of calling.

Ds had the same feelings about the AP Stats free response questions as the other kids above. He's pretty sure of a 4 but is hoping for a 5.

He thought AP Lit went very well, that Physics C: E&M was a killer (hoping 4---they have an excellent teacher), Psych was fine, Envi Science had a few weird questions, and that US Government was a piece of cake. He loves testing and does not suffer from anxiety :rolleyes:

Dd took US History and, despite a so-so teacher, felt very prepared. I had helped her study the last two weeks, mainly just discussing topics, plus I had saved all of ds's APUSH papers from last year. Dd's teacher didn't have practice with previously-released tests (???????????) so dd shared the ones from ds with her friends.

Dd will be taking Psych next year so I've got those study materials already put aside for her, in case she doesn't get a decent teacher.

If you want to pay $8, you can call and get the scores on July 1st. Here is more info: AP scores by phone

Thanks! I did not know this.

Thanks. I think we'll wait at that point as he's going to be in Jamaica until July 13th so it would just be for my sanity to call then. If it arrives in the mail I'm definitely not waiting for him to come home to open it... but $8 will probably encourage me to wait instead of calling.

Two to three weeks' worth of my sanity is definitely worth $8, but I applaud those (that would probably be nearly everyone) with more patience than me.

Terri

European History exam went very well for ds. and he hopes to get a 5. Chemistry MCQs went well but he missed a couple of FRQs due to lack of time!! He said if he didn't do well it was entirely his fault and not Mr. Moskluk's. His scores in July will tell the story.

We did APUSH and Bio. She self-studied and we did lots of practice essays and such throughout the year. Fingers crossed, sitting by the mailbox in my chair in mid July.

plansrme......this IS about us TOO???? Glad I didn't think of that b4 the tests.....I would have been a wreck!!! I will forget that now or else we will be too neurotic next year.