Menu

Critical thinking in elementary years

mo2

If you could only afford to buy ONE critical thinking resource for the elementary years (one for each year, so a series is fine), what would it be? I need to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak.

Prufrock press.

We've used One Hour Mysteries, Logic Liftoff, Orbiting with Logic, and Logic Countdown.

My older dc would race through these books because they enjoyed them so much. Oldest also loved chess, second oldest loved the 1000 pc. puzzles and I suspect those activities enhanced their love for logic.

The rest are still works in progress when it comes to logic ;-).

Edited by Sophia

I'll second the Prufrock Press workbook recommendation. They're inexpensive and easy to assign and do. I just blogged about the logic workbooks we've used the past two years. I'm looking forward to continuing with their books, including the ones Sophia listed!

My daughter also helps me with 1000 pc puzzles but by herself does 300 piece ones. I love to challenge her little brain.

Oh, good question! I knew we were missing something on our list of many things to do. I found that this chess set which DD has been using for the past 2 years has really inspired a love for chess and may be helping her think more logically. It's not a logic book, but just in case you wanted something beyond books, this set is really easy for children to begin playing chess immediately.

Oh, good question! I knew we were missing something on our list of many things to do. I found that this chess set which DD has been using for the past 2 years has really inspired a love for chess and may be helping her think more logically. It's not a logic book, but just in case you wanted something beyond books, this set is really easy for children to begin playing chess immediately.

I agree and second this!

It taught me HOW!

I would probably do Building Thinking Skills. We do several of their books. I think they are all very good and give kids many angles to think about things. They may not show immediate results, but I'm planning on the long term goal of SAT scores!

This probably is not a popular opinion, but I haven't been impressed with any of the thinking skills books I've seen or purchased (the first two Prufrock Press and MindBenders are what I own) for this age. They can be fun, yes. But so far what I have seen is that my child can either do it very easily, above the supposed "grade level" on the cover, or he hits some that are a bit over his head and are frustrating-- but then a few months later, he can suddenly do all those puzzles easily, too. So I don't really see a building of skills going on, but a natural development of logic and ability with age. But maybe I'm the only one?

I think multi-step word problems as in Singapore CWP and IP, narrations, vocabulary work with stems and talking about what we read together have been more useful in developing thinking skills. Strategy games are fun, also.