Menu

How to organize info learned from these forums???

I currently have over 100 subscriptions to threads on these forums! :D Every thread has valuable information that I don't want to lose! I plan on spending the summer organizing it all - somehow!? How do you keep track of wise advice, recommendations, etc. that you find on these forums? Should I just print it all out, highlight it and put it in a binder?

I use Evernote to copy information and organize it the way I want. It's free for so much kb per month, with text notes I've never gotten close to what is allowed.

I tried Microsoft one note, which I like some of their features better. But it's not free.

I also have an education binder. Really great wisdom gets printed and put in there.

I started an resource binder. I have tabs by grade. I also have tabs for writing, math, science. I have a tab for high school and a tab for wisdom. When something is really important, it gets printed and goes in a tab. Most of these are resources I want to consider or implementation of things I plan to use. I have several word documents. ONe is curriculum resources. Another is wisdom. But I find I put things in there but I don't go back to them. I've used the binder many times already over the past 4months I've started it. I have a bookmarks folder just for WTM links.

I may have to look into Evernote.

I have a binder set up almost identically to Capt Uhura's. Target and Office Max sells some pretty binders lately! It's much easier for me to write down or print stuff to refer to. I do have a bookmark tab on my browser for internet links, organized in folders by subject.

Printing/writing stuff out also allows me to make my own notes on the info, which is helpful if I've decided against a certain item, because I can write that and note why. Otherwise, with so much info floating around all the time, I forget if and why I've considered and rejected something. I'm probably just getting old. :lol:

I learned something new this month. Do you have Acrobat Pro? Once I installed it, I now have two tabs on my browser: convert and select. I can easily select the posts/threads, I want, convert them to PDF and clean up as necessary. I haven't fully utilized it yet, but wow! What a tool!!! I've put together a couple resources for me, but need to go back and do so many more.

Should I just print it all out, highlight it and put it in a binder?

Being a visual/tactile person, this is what works for me; I use old manila folders as dividers and group the info by topic. Alas, I am overflowing my 3-inch binder and will need to go to "volume 2". :tongue_smilie:

The other nice thing (for me) about the binder idea is that I can take it along with me and do some "research" as needed when at the kids' sports practices or whatever.

BEST of luck in organizing and storing all that wisdom! ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Honestly? I write everything out by hand. I've tried it lots of ways, but basically the only way for me to REMEMBER it is to write it. So I have typing paper at my desk, and I write and write. I keep everything organized by topic, grade, year, future, etc. in pretty file folders, and when I'm planning my future stuff sometimes I'll refer to them. But really, it's the act of writing that cements it.

I used to keep a binder, but it got too full. I used to write into a bound composition book, but my ideas all got disorganized. I've tried copying and pasting, but then I don't remember the content. Now I DO make heavy use of the fabulous bookmarking feature in the Safari browser to keep things tidy that I really, really need bookmarked. It's super-duper to use, and I have years of history, subdivisions, etc. etc., tons of stuff in there.

But basically, it's still all about writing. In an evening of research I go through 3-7 pages of typing paper. It helps me organize my thoughts, compare, and see relationships. I'll read all the posts by so-and-so on how they did science and then put in a parallel column someone else's approach. Then I'll make little side corners for someone else. It just pulls it together for me.

It's fun to go back and look at my notes from K5, 1st, etc. (all of which I have of course, lol), because I can see the development of my thoughts and how things that were new, novel, and amazing then are just ho-hum and common now. It's all synthesized, less frightening, with time.

I use Evernote to copy information and organize it the way I want. It's free for so much kb per month, with text notes I've never gotten close to what is allowed.

I tried Microsoft one note, which I like some of their features better. But it's not free.

Oh my gosh thank you for mentioning Evernote! This is exactly what I've always wanted. I too tried MS One Note, but I have so many computers and devices I use, Evernote is perfect to keep track of all the cool stuff I hear about. I've been using it since you posted this, and just came back to thank you!