Menu

strawberry jam help, please!

We just picked 20lbs of strawberries, and really want to make jam. I don't like really sweet jam, but every time I've tried to reduce the amount of sugar, it has been runny. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for low-sugar jam that does not contain jello or other artificial ingredients?

Thank you!

Amy

If you're not going to use pectin or jello, you need to be an expert of the "soft ball" stage of candy making. When you stir it, hold the spoon up and see if it clings to the spoon or drips right off. If it clings, it will set. It takes a lot of cooking at low heat (high heat breaks down the naturally occurring pectin in the strawberries. Don't boil the jars after filling them or the pectin will also break down and it won't gel.)

Or you can make your own pectin:

http://www.pickyourown.org/makeyourownpectin.htm

If you don't want to use sugar, you'll need to use no-sugar pectin, or it will not set.

If you don't want to use pectin, then you'll need to use sugar.

One or the other is what makes it set - can't leave out both, unless you just want a really yummy ice cream sauce. ;)

ETA:

Or you can make your own pectin:

http://www.pickyourown.org/makeyourownpectin.htm

This is really cool!

Edited by BramFam

Here's my resource I always refer to when canning anything. It's simple to follow (even has pictures!) and is only around $10. I first got it when I started canning 5 years ago (I was totally clueless!) - and it's looking pretty tattered by now! They ususally sell it right along side of canning supplies.

Ball Blue Book of Preserving

ISBN 0-9727537-0-2

Good Luck,

Myra

I used to think I didn't like strawberry jam until I had low-sugar strawberry jam. Then I realized I don't like strawberry-flavored sugar, lol.

We use Pomona's Pectin as well. It's made from citrus. I make so much jam that I order the pectin in bulk directly from Pomona's. It works very well with low-sugar recipes, cooked or freezer. The freezer jam tends to be a touch softer, though not runny, with a fresh strawberry flavor. :)

I am so excited for strawberry season to get here in our neck of the woods! Have fun!

Cat

I use the reduced-sugar pectin (Sure-gel in the pink box) and make freezer jam. If you have the freezer space, it goes much, much faster than canned jam, and it is much more fruity in taste than jam made with full-sugar pectin.

Terri

:iagree: We always use the lower sugar boxes and recipes. Sometimes, we make freezer jam, sometimes the regular stuff in the canner.

I used to think I didn't like strawberry jam until I had low-sugar strawberry jam. Then I realized I don't like strawberry-flavored sugar, lol.

We use Pomona's Pectin as well. It's made from citrus. I make so much jam that I order the pectin in bulk directly from Pomona's. It works very well with low-sugar recipes, cooked or freezer. The freezer jam tends to be a touch softer, though not runny, with a fresh strawberry flavor. :)

I am so excited for strawberry season to get here in our neck of the woods! Have fun!

Cat

Another vote for Pomona's pectin, you can even use no sugar. Though I like a 2:1 ratio of fruit to sugar for most jams. :)