Menu

Can anyone tell me more about SWO?

I have come to realize that SWB's recommendations are very good for the most part. She recommends SWO, but I know a lot of people don't like it. If you do or don't like it, can you please tell me more about it? I would like spelling to be more independent because my life is really crazy. I would love to hear your experiences! Thanks!

We use SWO and really like it. I think it has a nice mix of exercises that incorporate vocabulary, spelling and editing practice, without being overkill.

It is fairly independent, but we do go over the spelling rule at the beginning of the week together, review as needed during the week, and I give written tests at the end of the week.

We use SWO and really like it. I think it has a nice mix of exercises that incorporate vocabulary, spelling and editing practice, without being overkill.

It is fairly independent, but we do go over the spelling rule at the beginning of the week together, review as needed during the week, and I give written tests at the end of the week.

This is how I do it with my younger two boys. My youngest also likes Spelling City so he does that for extra practice with his words. I like SWO just fine and I think it's sufficient for a spelling program. Easy to schedule and independent.

I use AAS with my older two and I absolutely love it, but the main reason I'm not using it with my younger two is it is too teacher intensive. Even though we only do spelling for about 15-20 min. per day.. with 4 kids that's an hour or more! I just have to make spelling an independent subject. I have good spellers so I don't feel the need to put extra time into it.

The only thing I would have to say that we don't especially like about SWO is the paper it's printed on. Oh well...

I used it with both my sons and liked it. They practiced their words on Monday, then did one exercise each of the next three days, and we finished the week with a test. In years when we finished more than one book, we would compress this schedule, but it still worked well for us. Both went through to the end of the series. The last 2-3 books make a good word study, too....

I tried it for my dd, then 5yo. It was just too much writing for her. If she had been able to do all the writing, we probably would have stuck with it for a while. But I am so glad that we didn't, because I really love SWR. I didn't realize just how little sense SWO made until I found something that made so much more sense.

I am using MCP Phonics A this year. Should I start the first book of SWO? I didn't know if they overlapped at all. I wasn't planning on doing spelling until next year.

I made the mistake of doing both at the same time. They are redundant, covering exactly the same things (which is great if your dc needs the extra work, but mine did not). Use MCP (or other phonics) until they are reading well and then go with SWO (or other phonics-based spelling).

My ds11 is almost in 6th grade and we have used SWO from A through G (so far).

My son is a natural speller, and spelling has never been a subject that we've spent too much time on. The workbook lessons are broken down into about 5 sections per chapter (we complete one chapter per week).

There is a section where the child has to write creatively using several list words. I've alway skipped this section of the workbook because he does plenty of writing for his other subjects.

I have ds do one section of the workbook lesson Monday through Thursday. I give him a quick verbal quiz on Thursday, and then a written test on Friday. Spelling is a no-brainer for us.

Spelling Workout is a phonics based curriculum that can be done independently. I think even if you DON'T have a natural speller, it would be fine. You may have to take more time on each lesson, but it's a perfectly fine spelling curriculum IMO.

I'm not convinced that spelling can be taught, but we use SWO, because it's a nice introduction to relatively independent work, and I figure it can't hurt. My 7 yo is currently using it, and the younger ones will follow.

For the PP who said she tried it with a dc at age 5, was she reading? I seem to recall that SWB says to begin SWO A when they can read CVC words.

My ds 13 is finishing the series this year, he started with A when he was 4-ish. It has been great for him, he is a natural speller and does it completely independently except for the occasional questions and weekly tests.

My ds 9 tried SWO A and B and it was a complete disaster for him. He'd miss all the words in the pretest. He'd do all the exercises, we'd spend the week going over the rule and adding in additional work, and he'd miss all the words in the final test. We switched to AAS and he is steadily improving.

So I think it really depends on the child.

I use it, but I also use AAS. Neither takes much time, so I figure why not? Both of my boys are flying through their AAS levels quickly, so I think they'll be done with that series before we get near the end of SWO.

I chose to go with SWO, after selling it once, because of what SWB talks about it becoming in the higher levels. I like that it will start including vocabulary, meanings of affixes, and foriegn roots. This will be a nice lead-in to Vocabulary from Classical Roots which she recommends doing in place of spelling after all levels of SWO are completed.

For now, the words are a bit on the easy side, but we move through the lessons quickly. I use the 3-day per lesson schedule from the TM, and if they already know all or most of the words from a list, I let them orally test out of the lessons until I have 20 missed words to form a spelling list. We only did this to a certain point in ds10's current book where he hit a wall and we had to slow down.

I also use Susan's rec's for how to use SWO: ds copies the rules and any "trouble words" into his spelling notebook, and I have him analyze the correct spelling using the rules. BUT, he knows rules from AAS as well and we do use those.

If I ever absolutely had to choose between SWO and AAS due to time constraints, I don't know what I'd pick. I'd probably take a closer look at How to Teach Spelling, which is a workbook version using Spalding rules more like AAS.

I have come to realize that SWB's recommendations are very good for the most part. She recommends SWO, but I know a lot of people don't like it. If you do or don't like it, can you please tell me more about it? I would like spelling to be more independent because my life is really crazy. I would love to hear your experiences! Thanks!

This is for Kindergarten, right? Doesn't SWB recommend starting it in first grade? If your life is crazy, why are you trying to add a subject that isn't necessary at that age? :)

Just some things to think about. Where is he in reading and writing?

I've only looked at the book at a convention. After using AAS, I just couldn't do it. When I turned to the page on soft c and soft g, I didn't see any explanation of the c and g being soft before e, i, and y. It just gave some list words that used soft c and g. Of course, it's possible that the rule was given earlier in the book or in a previous level of the book (I can't remember if it was book C I picked up?). So take that comment with a grain of salt. ;) I also noticed that they do editing practice, which I don't care to do at a young age like this. I'd like my son to see properly spelled words, not misspelled words. Once he knows how to spell a lot of words, THEN he can start editing practice. But I want those properly spelled words etched in his brain first. When he hits logic stage, I'm fine with him learning to edit. That's my own personal opinion for my child though. I love SWB recs usually, but for this one, I have gone a different path.

Since you're doing MCP Plaid Phonics, SWO would probably be a good choice as a follow-on, but I just don't know that you need a spelling program at all for K when your life is crazy. Usually when I'm finding my life being crazy, I remove something that is redundant or unnecessary. :)

You're in a difficult stage with a 1 year old. It does get better. We're fast approaching 2 (just a week and a half!), and I'm able to do a little bit more with toddler around. Your oldest is very young, so try to keep it simple as you weather this stage. This too shall pass. ;)

This is for Kindergarten, right? Doesn't SWB recommend starting it in first grade? If your life is crazy, why are you trying to add a subject that isn't necessary at that age? :)

Just some things to think about. Where is he in reading and writing?

I've only looked at the book at a convention. After using AAS, I just couldn't do it. When I turned to the page on soft c and soft g, I didn't see any explanation of the c and g being soft before e, i, and y. It just gave some list words that used soft c and g. Of course, it's possible that the rule was given earlier in the book or in a previous level of the book (I can't remember if it was book C I picked up?). So take that comment with a grain of salt. ;) I also noticed that they do editing practice, which I don't care to do at a young age like this. I'd like my son to see properly spelled words, not misspelled words. Once he knows how to spell a lot of words, THEN he can start editing practice. But I want those properly spelled words etched in his brain first. When he hits logic stage, I'm fine with him learning to edit. That's my own personal opinion for my child though. I love SWB recs usually, but for this one, I have gone a different path.

Since you're doing MCP Plaid Phonics, SWO would probably be a good choice as a follow-on, but I just don't know that you need a spelling program at all for K when your life is crazy. Usually when I'm finding my life being crazy, I remove something that is redundant or unnecessary. :)

You're in a difficult stage with a 1 year old. It does get better. We're fast approaching 2 (just a week and a half!), and I'm able to do a little bit more with toddler around. Your oldest is very young, so try to keep it simple as you weather this stage. This too shall pass. ;)

I was planning ahead for 1st grade! :lol:

Here's where we are: DS is in 1st grade, finished OPGTR about a month ago. We began SWO after that. He likes it. Of course it could be seen as "basic" but SWB says it is good foundational work to review the basic. My DS is the kind who likes workbooks.

Also, we are doing handwriting (D'Nealian) practice, but we don't do them on the same day-- SWO has plenty of writing for DS.

I liked the reading section at the beginning, the proofreading (which kiddo liked, too) and the little writing assignment at the end.

I didn't like the texture of the paper and the spine. Actually, my son didn't like them. We coped. When GWG came out with SWS with the same top spine and nicer paper we switched. However, I intend to use the D level I didn't use for lists, and to keep teaching the proofreading marks.

My son is a couple of small notches beneath a "natural" speller. AAS drove him wild with repetition, e.g.