Menu

I dont get it.

DD brought home her progress report. She brought home 2 A's and 3 B's and "Meets" in Math. I dont know how they can say she "meets" in math when I can't even get her to pass a 4th grade level placement test. I think they may have done to much reteaching/retesting and her scores are off.

I am having a hard time excepting these grades are accurate. When we had PTC In March she was not doing well. There were a lot of concerns. YES we made changes at home as to how she studied and added things [lots of repetition BUT I don't feel she has done enough tests or work to bring her grades back up to these levels.

I will be so glad when this year is over.

I might be wrong, but I think meets means she simply meets the standards they have for her.

You'll also need to remember that depending on the math curriculum you picked will depend on the hardness of the test. You would also have to decide if she knows the info in a placement test and doesn't understand the wording.

Some math programs use math terms other's don't. Some introduce them at different times. Which means your child could work with... let's say Saxon, and learn math terms from 1st grade onward.. but then they could work with say.. Teaching Textbooks and not learn those terms until grade 3.

Not all math programmes are created equal. That doesn't make ANY of them bad. It just means that each curriculum is different thus their tests will be too.

Been there! My son is just finishing his 1st year homeschooling (sort-of). My dd -6 FLEW threw and is begging for more - she's never been to ps...but my ds -10 finished 3rd grade & I knew almost at the beginning of the year I was not putting him back for 4th grade. I pray that I never have to put them in ps - my 17 yr old ds graduates from ps @ the end of the month - and his high school has been heart breaking. He is doing great academically - but the other issues that go with ps have worn me out. I really don't know why it took me so long to realize I could do something about this - I just never imagined I could teach them at home.

So anyways...just thought - I'd jump in and say - I remember those times toward the end of his last year in ps when I was thinking 'so glad I am done with this soon'!!!!

My oldest dd went to public school for K, 1st and a few months of 2nd grade. I found that there was always a BIG difference between what progress reports or report cards said and what I could see her do at home. After having a child that struggled in public school, I am absolutely convinced that they were just doing the bare minimum they could do to check things off on her report card and groom her for state testing.

Since the school year is almost over and you will be starting (presumably) a new math curriculum, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember that homeschooling is much more like tutoring and you'll be able to work to improve her weaknesses while pushing ahead with her strengths.

:iagree:

This. I think Jean has a good point. Take a deep breath, and I think you will get it all sorted out this Summer.

Welcome to homeschooling! :D

DD brought home her progress report. She brought home 2 A's and 3 B's and "Meets" in Math. I dont know how they can say she "meets" in math when I can't even get her to pass a 4th grade level placement test. I think they may have done to much reteaching/retesting and her scores are off.

I am having a hard time excepting these grades are accurate. When we had PTC In March she was not doing well. There were a lot of concerns. YES we made changes at home as to how she studied and added things [lots of repetition BUT I don't feel she has done enough tests or work to bring her grades back up to these levels.

I will be so glad when this year is over.

Well, at least you are aware of the situation. So many parents are lulled into thinking their kids are succeeding because they are receiving A's and B's. This happened to my husband and I with my sdd. We had no idea of the degree of her disabilities until much later because she was getting such great grades in school.

Lisa

Well, at least you are aware of the situation. So many parents are lulled into thinking their kids are succeeding because they are receiving A's and B's. This happened to my husband and I with my sdd. We had no idea of the degree of her disabilities until much later because she was getting such great grades in school.

Lisa

Oh, I can SO relate to this!! I thought my dd had finally "caught up" in math when, in reality, they had let her use a calculator all year in her special ed. class! This was for basic adding and subtracting in 2nd grade:001_huh: I brought her home and realized she had absolutely NO clue how to add even 1+1. She is now 14 and we have just now mastered single digit addition and subtraction. This may not seem like much, but she would have never gotten this far in school. It also shed some light on just how severe her learning disabilities are.