Menu

old

How old are your dc?

What about Spelling Wisdom for spelling & vocabulary? SW uses copywork & dictation to teach spelling and by default, mechanics & usage. You also can squeeze in famous quotes, poetry study and speeches of great Americans and other famous people. http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/samples/SpellingWisdom_us_Sample.pdf

My ds is not very good at writing either. So, this next year (starting in August) I have made our curriculum have more reading of everything and more writing instruction. Like a how to, to try to build up his skills. The reading part in my eyes is to have him be more familiar with different types of writing, so if he sees it more "maybe" he will start applying it to his work. (I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but I don't know what else to do)

Have you considered doing the whole BJU english book rather than skipping the writing? That way you're getting a standard sequence and getting the benefit of using one whole curriculum (no holes). It's also very practical, fully laid out, and age-appropriate. To that, since they're struggling, I would add Daily Grams or a daily editing program like Take 5 Minutes Daily History Editing. I think I'd prefer Daily Grams in that situation, because it hits on a variety of topics every day. Then, depending on the age of the student, I would add in some daily copywork or dictation. That way they'll get more practice in the mechanics without having to think up what to write.

Remember that there is a difference between teaching writing and the mechanics part. Your kids didn't do poorly in writing, just the mechanics. I would poke around and find some other grammar/spelling programs until you find a good match. I would also do copywork or dictation (depending on your kids' age)

Hmm. Sounds about right . I have a 10yr old and an 8yr old . My 10 yr old is finishing 4th and my 8yr old 3rd .

Now I'm not an expert about boys because I'm a mom to 4 girls . But from what I've been told for the most part handwriting and writing, and reading can be difficult for boys . They mature a bit slower in this area. With the 7yr old I would do more copy work and dictation . Also most 7yr olds are finishing 1st grade as well . Did you test him at that level ? Was the testing necessary for state requirements or was this something to show you weak areas ?

I hate to say it but some children also are NOT test takers. My oldest has proven that to me time and time again . She is the smartest kid I know , she can tell you anything , has a photographic memory and picks things up like crazy and remembers it years down the road . But you put a test in front of her and forget it . She becomes this mind drooling vegtable that has an IQ of 10 . LOL . My husband is the same exact way . He is the smartest guy around . He can talk to you about any subject and be correct about the information about 99% of the time ( there's that rare 1% ) . He can talk to you about firefighters, politics , stocks , military , he remembers things back that happened to him in 1976 . Put a test in front of him and he becomes the world's stupidest man . I've seen it . It amazes me . But then you have the others too like me who most of the time I can't remember what I just did 5 minutes ago , or like yesterday what time my 3rd daughter's preschool picnic was , have poor comprehension ( yet still remember what the book was about ) and you put a test in front of me and I have always come out intelligent .

How is their own work ? Is it showing you differently ? Those are very important things to think about . Also was this their first time taking a test ? This impacts greatly too . My oldest took state testing last year and just tanked. I couldn't belive it . This child can tell you everything about Julius Caesar , works a year ahead in math , and knows all the birds in our back yard and can tell you something about each and every one of them . Yet scored below Basic . It was the first time she took this test though . I'm holding some hope when I get her results from this year next year .

Then there is my 2nd daughter who is as blonde as blonde gets and she tests well . Go figure . But she is the most I -live -in -another-world -child I've ever met ( I worry sometimes ) . BUT in the same breath is smart in her own right . Just learns differently .

Could it be that BJU grammar doesn't suit their learning needs ? Have you looked into Christian Light ? I've heard WONDERFUL things about their Language and Math .

Sorry for the novel . But there are alot of things to factor in when testing young children . And I found when my oldest was 6 I gave her the CAT myself to see if we were doing alright . Well , I set myself up for failure on that one . I knew she was smart , just found out she couldn't take tests .

Don't be so hard on yourself, Shari. Many, including myself, struggle with teaching writing. I even think I'm a pretty decent writer, but still find it difficult to *teach* it! I'm having great success using Bob Jones English (just the writing portions) with my ds. I wrote a thorough review of it on my blog. Click on "Curriculum Reviews" and scroll down until you find "Bob Jones English" I discuss the writing in that post. HTH!

First of all---don't stress! Those test results are for you to know what areas need work---and you do now! I totally understand your frustration, though, because writing has always been my thing too---and both my kids are HORRID at the mechanics of it!!! Their testing this year only clarified what I already knew---we more work in these areas. I am going to use Hake next year with ds 7th because he has a horrid time remembering mechanics---daily. I also know that my weakest spot with them is proofreading their written work. I am thinking that a daily reading of what they write, a daily correction and then daily reminders of proper form will make a big difference (I am NOT doing this!)