Menu

Latin Sequence

I'm sure this has been asked a million, gazillion times... Would anyone like to post their Latin sequence? We've used Prima Latina and I'm planning on using Song School Latin 1 and 2 (starting 1 this fall).

Later down the road, I'm interested in Wheelock Latin for late middle school.

:confused: Thanks for any advice!

We will be starting SSL in about 1st grade, or when writing is legible and easier. After SSL, we'll go into Getting Started with Latin, and eventually go into The Latin Road. After TLR, I'm not so sure. Still researching and deciding, but we've got a ways to go for that, yet. ;)

Here's my sequence

4th - LfC A

5th - LfC B

6th - LfC C

7th - SYRWLL 2

8th - SYRWLL 3

9th - Bradley's Arnold Latin Composition and ancient literature

10th - Bradley's Arnold Latin Composition and medieval literature

11th and 12th still aren't finalised. I suppose we'll continue with literature and composition.

I'm looking at two possibilities:

Grade 4: Latin for Children A (done)

Grade 5: Latin for Children B (done)

Grade 6: Latin for Children C

Grade 7 & 8: Wheelock's (with VP online)

Grade 9: Latin III Readings (with VP online)

Grade 10: Latin IV Readings, Virgil's Aeneid (with VP online)

OR

Grade 6: Latin for the New Millennium <---- This looks like such an interesting text, but not sure I want to try to teach it myself!

I'm looking at two possibilities:

Grade 6: Latin for Children C

OK, this actually looks doable. Except I thought you could go directly from LfCB into Wheelock's. Am I wrong? Also, my oldest daughter would be a year behind yours because she's waiting for The Dude (they're working through Latin together). :tongue_smilie:

I thought you could go directly from LfCB into Wheelock's. Am I wrong? Also, my oldest daughter would be a year behind yours because she's waiting for The Dude (they're working through Latin together). :tongue_smilie:

We're thinking along the same lines. :) I had also asked VP about going directly from LfC B into Wheelocks. They said, "There is no rush to jump into Wheelock’s. It is an excellent text, but written for college age, so while 6th graders may well be able to handle the grammar, many of the exercises/translations are above their life experience to fully understand even if translated perfectly." So, yes, one could go directly from LfC B to Wheelocks. One could even go from no Latin into Wheelock's if one were an older student and could handle the fast pace and substance of Wheelocks.

I don't know to what extent "life experience" matters. As it happens, I was just looking at Wheelock's, LfC C, and LNM last night (still trying to sort out the best route for us...), and I did come across at least two translations that would be .. um.. sensitive... The Rape of Lucretia and some passage involving adultery. I was trying to think how I could handle those. Guess I will have to at some point.

At any rate, I'm not in a rush to get to Wheelock's in 6th. LfC C would feel like a holding pattern for 6th grade. Latin for the New Millennium would definitely be more interesting, with all its material on Roman culture, myths, etc., not to mention the beautiful, full color illustrations. I'd skip the parts on speaking Latin (contrived "dialogues" like "Hello. My name is..." )

Is your oldest going into 6th? Or 5th? If 5th, and if you've already done LfC A-C, I'd definitely look at LNM, rather than Wheelock's. (Ester Maria has posted an informative review of it, if you do a search. Plus, I trust her judgement! :) )

Edited by yvonne

I'm starting Latin late with my rising 8th grader. My plan is:

8th - Latin Road - Bridge

9th - Latin Road - Level 1

10th - Latin Road Level 2

11th - Latin Road Level 3

According to the publisher, that's 2 years of high school Latin.

My younger one is joining, so her plan:

4th - Latin Road - Bridge

5th - Latin Road - Level 1

6th - Latin Road - Level 2

7th - Latin Road - Level 3

8th - placement test - hopefully into VP Scholars Latin 2 (Wheelock)

9th - VP Scholars Latin 3

Once she's in high school, she can study whatever language she wants. ;)

And here's what we're doing/plan to do: (which is all very flexible, depending on the child; some texts will be moved up or down a year)

• K-2 Song School Latin, then I can speak Latin ( Andrew Campbell's new Latin, it looks oh so good)
  • 2nd or 3rd Getting Started with Latin (my seven year old has done just over half this year), combined with Minimus (just the first year book)
  • 3rd or 4th finish GSWL, begin first half of Latin for Children A (these are done together--I like the gentle pace and extra translation that GSWL provides)
  • 4th or 5th finish LfC A, begin LfC B at half pace, maybe supplement some with Latin I,II by Pearson, Lawrence, and Raynor (freebie from Google books that I like) Also, maybe throw Lingua Angelica into the mix.
  • 5th or 6th finish LfC B and Latin I, II, Lingua Angelica combo
  • 6th or 7th Latin Prep I and maybe Lingua Biblia
  • 7th or 8th Latin Prep II and maybe more Lingua Biblia
  • 8th or 9th begin Wheelocks (adding in some Latin for the New Millenium, if we strike it rich and I can afford more Latin :))
  • 9th or 10th keep on in Wheelocks (with LNM :))
  • 10th -12th keep on in Wheelocks (or upper level of LNM),

I have chose to take some things more slowly, since my crew also studies Greek, and will be adding in a modern language at some time in jr. high/high school. I know some folks use it for younger grades with success, but I think that Wheelocks is a high school text (unless you happen to be a fabulous Latin teacher and know how to pace it out and explain clearly... I am not:)).

Edited by Zoo Keeper

We're planning the traditional MP sequence.

We just started Prima Latina this year (late 2nd), when we're done it's on to LCI, then the First Form Series. After that, we'll see. Maybe accelerated Henle?

My understanding is that the "Form" series (in 4 sections) IS Henle, just in more of an easy-to-use style. Am I wrong on this? :bigear:

We completely PL this year, are working through Minimus in an easy-going way now & as a way to keep our Latin up through the summer. We'll try LCI starting in the fall. The tentative plan is to continue through MP's Form series (hopefully giving them enough time to finish it).

2nd & 4th - PL/Minimus

3rd & 5th - LC I

4th & 6th - First Form

5th & 7th - Second Form

6th & 8th - Third Form

7th & 9th - Fourth Form

This is penciled in because we'll have to see how everything goes & if the younger will be able to keep up with the older. I don't know if we'll continue or drop Latin at some point.

I'm getting way ahead of myself even thinking about this, but I'm an overplanner. I need to plan things in excruciating detail before I feel okay deviating from the plan.

I was considering Minimus (because I think it's cute) and I'd heard good things about the Oxford Latin Course, but beyond that I have no idea what else or when or anything.

Are many (any?) latin curricula secular? My DH and I are not the same religion and have agreed that schooling should be secular except for religious studies, obviously. I think that's where my o'planning fails. Some of these sequences sound great and then I wonder if they're secular.

I really need :chillpill: LOL.

Are many (any?) latin curricula secular? My DH and I are not the same religion and have agreed that schooling should be secular except for religious studies, obviously. I think that's where my o'planning fails. Some of these sequences sound great and then I wonder if they're secular.

Artes Latinae, Wheelock's, and Galore Park are all secular.

Nothing constructive to add since we are doing a mom-made program, but I just wanted to say that I :001_wub: you all. There are a few sequences I really like, and I am so happy that many of you aim so high with Latin. Latin is wonderful. Good luck to all of you!

upcoming/current 2nd grader:

2nd - 4th

Bridge to Latin Road

Latin Road to Grammar I

CLAA Grammar I (online)

5th - 6th

Latin Road to Grammar II

Latin Road to Grammar III

CLAA Grammar II A-B (online) covers prose/Cicero, intro to Greek

7th - 8th

FLVS Latin I, II, III (online) self-paced, gives her high school credit

CLAA Grammar III A-B (online) covers poetry/Vergil, continues Greek

9th - 12th ????

might continue CLAA classes

might focus more on Greek

might be something new and great that I don't know about yet :D

upcoming/current 8th grader:

8th

finish CLAA Grammar I

9th - 10th

FLVS Latin I, II

CLAA Grammar II A-B

11th - 12th

FLVS Latin III

maybe CLAA Grammar III A-B

upcoming/current 6th grader:

has asked to make Latin a back-burner class this year in order to focus on French and Spanish

future Latin sequence uncertain :)

Nothing constructive to add since we are doing a mom-made program, but I just wanted to say that I :001_wub: you all. There are a few sequences I really like, and I am so happy that many of you aim so high with Latin. Latin is wonderful. Good luck to all of you!

:001_smile:

I'm getting way ahead of myself even thinking about this, but I'm an overplanner. I need to plan things in excruciating detail before I feel okay deviating from the plan.

I was considering Minimus (because I think it's cute) and I'd heard good things about the Oxford Latin Course, but beyond that I have no idea what else or when or anything.

I really need :chillpill: LOL.

Lively Latin is secular and I absolutely love it.