Menu

Can you recommend a phonics based spelling workbook?

I will be adding spelling to the summer school studies this summer for my fifth grade son. His spelling is pretty awful, everything is spelled the way it sounds. Can anyone recommend a workbook that covers phonics based spelling? I am not interested in a complicated program, as this will just be for summer school, so a workbook or online is best. Thanks y'all.

Here are the two that I will be using.:) I am going from AAS and Phonics Road, so only phonics/rules based will do!

Building Spelling Skills 4,

How to Spell 3 (it says grade 3 but 4 levels get you through to 12th grade, so that is incorrect)

Rod and Staff looks good. I didn't choose it because building spelling skills had more pages per lesson.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Does How To Teach Spelling review words, if using their workbooks, or do you have to do/schedule your own review?

I have HTTS manual and workbooks 1 and 2, I think the manual is awesome, I haven't started them yet as I was unsure if this actually had built in reviews?

I don't think the program does any review for you... unless it shows up in the dictation sentences, but I doubt it because the manual tells you to put review words in your lesson.

I've just started How to Teach Spelling with How to Spell 4 but I haven't been using it long enough to give a proper evaluation of it.

I have used How to Teach Spelling 1 and 2. I am not staying with that because I want more of a workbook program. The workbook pages are practice for the new rules/phonograms (or review of rules/phonograms) but there are only a couple of pages and then the teacher is supposed to do a lot of dictation.

It was difficult for me to get started with HTTS and I gave up almost as soon as I figured it out, because I didn't start out with the workbooks, and I started out with a first grader who wasn't used to writing much. The workbook has 36 lessons. So this is what I did... on Monday do the workbook pages as an introduction to the rule(s) you are learning. Write the rule(s) on your sound sheet. You might have DD do copywork with the rule, I started out with this but decided not to. I do dictate a couple of words that we work through together on the white board so that I know she isn't just copying. I also have her underline the phonograms in a different color, or write them in a different color on the worksheet. On Tuesday, review the rule and a couple of words and dictate the remaining words that were learned on Monday, and two words that review what you have already learned. (organizing your sound sheets really helps with that) I skip the first part of the lesson, where it has the student write all of the phonograms they know, I just make sure to include words with them often. Dictate 3 nonsense words for the current rule and 2 that are review. On Wednesday, make a copywork sheet with two sentences that include words with the new rule. After she completes the copywork, again have her underline the phonograms. On Thursday, dictate the same two sentences that she wrote the day before. All done! Make sense?

3. Did you supplement with the phonogram cards? I started out with phonogram cards, but DD hates them, so now we just read over the rules from the sound sheets that we review, about 10 per day. I wrote them on big paper on our easel. Did you buy those recommended in the manual? No. I copied mine from Writing Road to Reading at the library.

Rod & Staff would be my top pick. OR Spelling Workout.

:iagree:

I have seen both of these, and we use R&S.

Both work on the sound and the spelling. I went with R&S because it offered the same content and quality (IMO) at a lower price. I do not need a secular resource, and this suited us great. I am please with the cursive writing used in the list of words, and the exercises are not busy work. The lesson is well set to enforce certain concepts - including working with syllables and individual sounds. It coincides with our Megawords well. I have noticed a change in reading and spelling.