Menu

s/o Which math programs have an integrated approach to math in middle/high school?

After reading Capt_Uhura's thread about algebra, I'm curious, which math programs take an integrated approach to math, rather than splitting it into Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, etc.?

Also, do you feel there are any disadvantages to an integrated approach to math?

The only one I know of is SM NEM. I would assume SM DM is the same as well?

NEM is the only one I've heard of, too. For some reason, I'm intimidated by it, and so I'm wondering if there are any others.

We have a while before we start algebra, though. At the rate my dd is going, my 2nd grader will start algebra before her. :banghead: But then again, I think she will do really well once she gets past arithmetic. DH and I keep telling her that math is not all arithmetic, and that she will like math someday...

The only one I know of is SM NEM. I would assume SM DM is the same as well?

Yes. Singapore Discovering Mathematics is also integrated, and imho much more approachable than NEM, at least in format. It's quite challenging (especially if you use the optional workbook), but we've enjoyed it.

There are British publications for the IGCSE, and I'm considering using these. They wouldn't get you through high school, but I might use them in conjunction with LOF for two years.

Galore Park has 3 math texts for the middle school years (So You Really Want to Learn Maths) which might be good preparation before the IGCSE books. The second and third books have some algebra, geometry, and trig.

Also, MEP has free GCSE lessons.

There are lots of intergrated math curriculua around. Probably anything from Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, etc. is intergrated. However, the only mainstream homeschool curriculum I know of that follows an intergrated approach is Singapore.

DD 13 has just started NEM 1. She did AoPS algebra earlier this year and it wasn't a good fit. Since AoPS is the only US math curriculum I like and we loved Singapore primary math, we decided to give NEM a try. So far we've just been jumping around to fill in the gaps (mostly geometry), but DD is really enjoying it.

Galore Park has 3 math texts for the middle school years (So You Really Want to Learn Maths) which might be good preparation before the IGCSE books. The second and third books have some algebra, geometry, and trig.

He's been doing algebra most of this year, so I think he's ready for the GCSE level. I didn't know MEP had those available, thank you! I'm looking into those right now.

Saxon and Singapore were the only 2 I was aware of. I think it makes more sense because the child is less likely to forget algebra while doing geometry and vice versa. Too bad Saxon leaves such a bad taste here.

But no access to the answers...unless someone has the password. Up to level 6 the answers are part of the online program. Beyond that the answers require a password only available to institutions, as far as I can see.

Edited by jcooperetc

But no access to the answers...unless someone has the password. Up to level 6 the answers are part of the online program. Beyond that the answers require a password only available to institutions, as far as I can see.

You can request the password, it is open to homeschoolers.

This is a document I found on how to use MEP could be used with a traditional American sequence.

Algebra and Geometry are very important parts of the MEP Secondary Program. If you want teach it in a sequence that compares that compares to, Pre-Algebra, Alegbra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 with Trig and Stat and Pre-Calc with Beginning Calculus, this page is for you.

Pre-Algebra: All of Year 7 and 8

Algebra 1: Year 9 Units 1,3,4,5,10,11,12,13,14,17

Geometry: Year 9 Unit 6,7,8 ,15,16

GCSE Unit 3,4,7,14,18,19

Algebra 2: GCSE Units 1,2,3,5,6,8,9,10,12,13,15,16,17 ,Data Handling Pack

Pre-Calc with Beginning Calculus, Statistics and Mechanics :

A-level Pure Mathematics Unit 1-13,16,20,21

Statistics Units 1-5

Mechanics Units 1-6

What the difference between Singapore NEM and DM? Thanks.

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm

Scroll about halfway down the page; there's a chart comparing all their secondary curricula; NEM and DM are first and second.

Here's a sample page of DM

Here's a sample page of NEM

I think the layout of DM is much friendlier, and with the workbook is quite challenging enough. I think even without the workbook it is very good, but if you're looking for the real brain-busters, the workbook is like the IP for DM.

NEM is the only one I've heard of, too. For some reason, I'm intimidated by it, and so I'm wondering if there are any others.

I felt the same way which is why I went for SM DM. Love it. It's clear and straightforward with the same great explanations as PM.

Do you use this program? I've never seen it before. Is it a full curriculum, or is it a supplement to bring in real-world application?

It is a full curriculum, for four years. And the math is truly integrated; it's not a matter of giving kids a little algebra, a little geometry, etc. in discrete sections.

Every book is organized around different real-world problems -- from the first book, you have how to analyze voter preferences and predict election results, how to estimate different areas from satellite photos, how to do basic animation, how to produce a statistically reliable test, etc. -- and each problem requires kids to stop and think quite hard about what kind of math they might need to tackle/solve the problem. Then through a series of exercises and activities they are introduced to the math they will need.

I bought two old used editions from amazon for a few bucks. One is a teacher's editions with a bit of useful information, but I wouldn't buy it deliberately. I haven't needed a solution manual YET.

You can also buy a subscription to comap which allows you to download as much as you wish from their huge archive of math topics, lesson plans, and topics, which range from projects on knots to the support mechanics of cathedral buttresses, on and on.

A kid could rush through the books, and we certainly haven't done every single step in the topics we've done. But the whole point is to stop all the time and ask questions, to think deeply about problem-solving tactics and how to use or extend the math you know for a new type of problem.

The older editions are very wordy; the newer ones are slimmed down and more pictorial and compact.

There is also an extensive review of the program on the website that reviews all the math and science textbooks; I don't remember the name, but if you google comap review, it should come up. The reviewers raved about this program, and I think with good reason.

The only caveats are: 1) that a really math-gifted kid would find it very slow, although the aspect of figuring out what kind of math procedures are needed is very useful for everybody, plus the extra topics on the web subscription cover a range of levels; and 2) if you switch to a more conventional program halfway through, you'll inevitably find your child knows some things at a higher level than the norm and has yet to encounter others that are traditional for his or her grade. I don't think this is a big deal, but for some people it very well may be.

You can request the password, it is open to homeschoolers.

This is a document I found on how to use MEP could be used with a traditional American sequence.

Algebra and Geometry are very important parts of the MEP Secondary Program. If you want teach it in a sequence that compares that compares to, Pre-Algebra, Alegbra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 with Trig and Stat and Pre-Calc with Beginning Calculus, this page is for you.

Pre-Algebra: All of Year 7 and 8

Algebra 1: Year 9 Units 1,3,4,5,10,11,12,13,14,17

Geometry: Year 9 Unit 6,7,8 ,15,16

GCSE Unit 3,4,7,14,18,19

Algebra 2: GCSE Units 1,2,3,5,6,8,9,10,12,13,15,16,17 ,Data Handling Pack

Pre-Calc with Beginning Calculus, Statistics and Mechanics :

A-level Pure Mathematics Unit 1-13,16,20,21

Statistics Units 1-5

Mechanics Units 1-6

Thanks!