Menu

A really silly question about food...

I bought carrots (from the vegetable department- not frozen/refrigerated ones) tonight while at the store. I'm going to (uhm... attempt... :tongue_smilie:) to make beef stew sometime between tomorrow and Tuesday.

Well... how do I store these things? Do they go in the fridge? Or on the counter? Or.... some other option?

:D

Can I admit I giggled a little? Store them in the fridge. In that drawer marked, "Vegetables"

:lol: Yes, yes you can. I can admit that we didn't eat very well growing up, all of our vegetables came from a can!! I've recently switched to frozen vegetables instead of canned, and thought that home-made beef stew would be healthier than in a can. This should be interesting..... :tongue_smilie:

Right. That's probably why it's called a vegetable drawer... huh? :lol: I honestly didn't even think about that!

Some fridges have two veggie drawers, and often they have a humidity slider thingy on them. Two, so that things that require more humidity (like greens) can go in one drawer, and things that require less (like carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes) can go in the other. Sometimes the little slider thing can be moved to change a high-humidity drawer to a low-humidity drawer, and vice-versa. Mine has a picture of lettuce at one end and a picture of an apple at the other, to show which direction is which. (I think the apple is low.)

All that said, I keep my carrots in the "high" one because my "low" one is full of onions and stuff. ;)

Carrots keep a long time, and even when they start to get little roots on them you can peel them off and still have a not-horrible carrot. Not that you *should* keep them forever, but it's not like spinach that will go bad within the week.

Keep asking questions! Cooking with fresh foods is not as hard as it is made out to be, but there are always those little questions that everyone seems to take for granted that you know.

A good cookbook to try would be "Clueless in the Kitchen". It has lots of recipes for simple, basic foods cooked from scratch, from roast chicken to chocolate cake. It's pretty good at telling you all the stuff that other cookbooks take for granted, and the recipes are straightforward and use easy-to-find ingredients.

Keep asking questions! Cooking with fresh foods is not as hard as it is made out to be, but there are always those little questions that everyone seems to take for granted that you know.

A good cookbook to try would be "Clueless in the Kitchen". It has lots of recipes for simple, basic foods cooked from scratch, from roast chicken to chocolate cake. It's pretty good at telling you all the stuff that other cookbooks take for granted, and the recipes are straightforward and use easy-to-find ingredients.

Thanks! My fridge only has one big drawer at the bottom, but with the little sliding humidity thing... would I show my ignorance if I admitted to keeping water bottles in there?:tongue_smilie:

That cookbook looks great!! :D I'm trying to make up for the fact that I never learned how to cook while I was younger (and didn't get an appreciation for many foods either)... but it's hard. I've looked at recipes that will tell me to do some crazy feat that I have to look up. Then I just get intimidated and quit.

I'm never giving up my hamburger helper.... but hopefully I can balance it out some! :lol:

Um, I just had a thought that maybe I should add that when you are actually making that stew, you want to peel the carrots. ;)

Wow. Thanks. I... didn't realize this! :tongue_smilie:The ingredients list just says "Add fresh vegetables as desired: potatoes, carrots, celery, etc." I'da never thought to PEEL the carrots!! haha.

Unless you're like Little House on the Prairie, and put them in your cellar ;) I always thought a cellar would be fun :)

Hey, the old farmhouse we are moving into has a root cellar, at least it looks like one, with the slanted door above ground and the steps leading below. Can you actually store things like that down there? I thought it was mainly to put shelving in for canning...I guess, potatoes would fare well down and under?

Wow! Nothing like jumping in the deep end!

Sometimes you can find youtube videos for cooking various things.

:lol: I know. But wanting to try feijoada is actually the reason for this most recent attempt at learning how to cook. I really want to try it. :tongue_smilie:

Good idea.... off to stalk youtube. :D

:lol: I was just headed here to update....

I may or may not have burnt it. :glare: I thought everything was going well, stirring every couple minutes, and it looked amazing. But then when I tasted it- something was off. Did some investigating, and the whole bottom was burnt..... :thumbdown: So... we had pizza rolls. -sigh- How ridiculous.