Menu

Resources / Activities for a Fine (and Gross) Motor Skills Challenged 3 year-old

My wee man is so very smart (he's begun reading, and gives himself reading lessons if I don't), and he's got awesome counting skills, but he's always lagged in the motor skills department. I don't want him eventually entering school age reading at whatever advanced level, but without knowing how to hold a pencil - what can I do to encourage him now?

It's funny I've seen that Tot School blog before, but never really dug around. I didn't mean to make it sound that he is severely behind, he's just always been on the slowest side of normal... walking at just under 15 months, jumping a full year later than his cousin did, etc. ;)

My library has this book that i got some ideas from http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Fine-Motor-Fun-Activities/dp/0876590792/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304726686&sr=1-2

I bought a pencil grip at the local teacher store that really helped mine hold the pencil a little better at least...I think sometimes boys just kind of lag behind though in this area- mine at least have no interest at all; my niece will sit and color, draw and write letters for forever! Mine- a few scratches and he is off again.

I know you're looking for practical, tangible resources - but he's only 3! My son did not officially hold his pencil correctly until he was 5! I had to remind him over and over and over. It does not hurt to work on those fine/gross motor skills - but he's 3!! :001_smile:

I was in your position two years ago. DS was so advanced in everything except motor skills as a three year old. I worried about it, but it all turned out fine. He just turned five (yesterday) and while he is still more advanced in reading and math, his handwriting and other motor skills are decent now. My current 3yr old is very developmentally average across the board. Since he isn't advanced in some areas, his motor skills don't look "behind." So, make sure you are comparing him to what is developmentally appropriate for his age-not his intellectual ability.

I would just do normal preschool stuff-build, color, Kumon workbooks, sand and water play, paint, pick things up with tongs, open and close lids, lacing cards, string beads, etc. Here are a couple of toys that come to mind:

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Latches-Board/dp/B000NVBE1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304735239&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Educational-Insights-Design-Drill-Workshop/dp/B003DKKKS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1304735290&sr=1-2

My son's fine motor skills are definitely behind his brain. That's ok though! At 3, I wouldn't worry too much. If he's not meeting developmental milestones in the fine motor skills department, I'd be looking to get some therapy. If he's still within the "normal" range, don't fret. Just teach him without writing for a while. You don't need to be able to hold a pencil in order to learn to read. :) my son went into Kindergarten reading at grade level 2.5 but not able to form all his letters. By the end of K, he could copy short sentences. Now in first grade, his reading level is around 5th grade, and he can copy multiple sentences each day. I have to alternate writing and non-writing subjects, but thankfully, first graders don't HAVE to do a lot of writing. We do copywork everyday, he writes in math, and he does some dictation on the white board for spelling (that's easier than using a pencil).

There is a lot of mental math you can do without writing. My son was able to add and subtract, including negative numbers, before he could write his numbers well. He learned to multiply in his head, etc. In fact, most of his math learning happens in the van while we're driving somewhere. He'll come up with something mathematical and tell me about it, and we'll discuss how it works, etc. No need to write anything down! :D

It's VERY common for boys to have weaker fine motor skills. You'll have a lot of company around here!

Have fun playing around with fine/gross motor activities like you would with any preschooler, and don't let the early reading "fool" you. ;)

My oldest began reading at the age of 2. However, he has never had much interest in drawing/coloring/cutting. It is a funny thing to walk into your living room and hear your just-turned 4yo reading a Dorothy Sayers article out of your "Classical Teacher" you left on the end table... and this same boy can barely make a straight line on his magnadoodle. It makes you scratch your head and say, huh? :001_huh:

So first of all, be patient. It is amazing what a year or two of growing/maturing will do even if you don't ever get around to doing anything special with him. Fine-motor skills may still be something he needs a little more time and help on, but just don't forget that he is still 3, whether he is reading or not. Find appropriate things to do with him (the website above is great for that) and keep it slow and steady--just a little at a time. If he only wants to draw/color for one minute, then make sure he has the proper grip for that one minute and then let him go. That one minute a day will begin to add up over time. And at 3, I wouldn't even worry too much about making sure he colors/draws...he may like stringing up some Penne pasta instead! And don't forget finger painting--with pudding or whatever suits your fancy.

Be prepared for his skills to be at different levels when he begins school. His reading skills may very well be far beyond his writing skills, but that's OK. Just continue to work on his weakest areas as he grows. Don't let his lack of writing hold him back from learning--he can still read and learn so much (math, spelling, etc.) even if he can't quite put it to paper yet.

Edited by Amie

First Strokes Handwriting has some awesome thematic preK fine motor skills sets and a K level pencil gymnasics set. Their stuff is totally awesome. Their catalog and web site are confusing. Look at the catalog and then call and order. The printable cd with the preschool fine motor kits are great:) The kit itself isn't spectacular, but all the teacher training and printables are awesome:)

Color with tiny crayon bits (like 1 inch crayons), cut, and paste EVERY SINGLE DAY. My kids choose one page from a coloring book, color it, cut it out, and paste it on a colored paper background. They used to just cut the outline - now they cut the pieces and reassemble on the new page. Practice practice practice.