Menu

What NOT classical science curricula can you recommend for 1st grade?

Halcyon

I am looking for a curriculum for my younger that is a bit more "core knowledge"-y; he did part of ES Bio this year and enjoyed it, and read a ton, but I think for next year I'd like to do something that doesn't focus on just one discipline for the entire year.

I will probably end up just making my own curriculum using core knowledge standards, but wondered if there was something out there that might fit the bill for us. We've tried BFSU and I ended up selling it as I found it too teacher intensive. I almost regret selling it as I should probably give it another try. I've also looked at Nancy Larson Science and it looks interesting, but I fear it might be too scripted for me. I would love to find something "in between" LOL. For his older I am thinking right now we're going to use K12, but I don't know that I am willing to invest the money for my first grader, especially given how fickle he is! :tongue_smilie:

Things I would like in the curriculum:

1. covers a broad range of topics

2. has experiments, preferably with materials included.

3. Has lesson plans

4. Secular

I feel like I've looked at everything, which is why I keep coming back to just making my own curriculum. Just thought I'd ask if there was something purchasable...........

My current first grader did one MBtP concept at the beginning of this year. It was concept 4 in the 6-8 age range. Off the top of my head, it covered

the states of matter

rocks and minerals

balance (as in - What is a balance and what can you balance with it? - but also including a lesson on a balanced diet)

Uh - I seem to remember something about different types of fish living at different levels of the ocean in which there was more or less sunlight.

I remember him making a sign about not spilling gas because it's bad for the environment and then taking it up to the gas station for them to hang up.

Anyway, it was very hands on. He learned a ton and enjoyed it. I did have to gather materials, but it was not awful (things like/: a candle, food coloring, whatever liquids we had on hand...). It is something that is meant to last a quarter of a school year. I think we took a bit longer with it, maybe more like a third of the school year. It is quite pricey.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, especially once I'm at home and can look at the TM again.

I am looking for a curriculum for my younger that is a bit more "core knowledge"-y; he did part of ES Bio this year and enjoyed it, and read a ton, but I think for next year I'd like to do something that doesn't focus on just one discipline for the entire year.

I will probably end up just making my own curriculum using core knowledge standards, but wondered if there was something out there that might fit the bill for us. We've tried BFSU and I ended up selling it as I found it too teacher intensive. I almost regret selling it as I should probably give it another try. I've also looked at Nancy Larson Science and it looks interesting, but I fear it might be too scripted for me. I would love to find something "in between" LOL. For his older I am thinking right now we're going to use K12, but I don't know that I am willing to invest the money for my first grader, especially given how fickle he is! :tongue_smilie:

3. Has lesson plans

4. Secular

I feel like I've looked at everything, which is why I keep coming back to just making my own curriculum. Just thought I'd ask if there was something purchasable...........

Have you looked at Winter Promise's The World Around Me? We own an older version and it can be used completely secularly (in fact I can't actually think of anything in it that was religious, though we didn't use the whole thing). It might not have enough experiments for your taste though, and you'd have to gather any materials yourself, so...

I would go with either GEMS, or Magic School Bus books.

I encourage you to also get kid proof science equipment and have it be very accessible. Discount School Supply is an excellent source for this age.

Also, join your local zoo, science museum, aquarium, or natural history museum, and go for a LONG time every week or two. The LONG visits are essential to really building understanding. You want them to get to know the place so well that they delve beneath the surface and also notice and observe seasonal changes.

I was going to recommend NL, but it is quite scripted. You could probably ditch the script, though.

Have you considered just getting some science kits and working through them?

I have, JudoMom. But for me, for science, I need some hand-holding (even that just means following Core Knowledge guidelines and making my own course). His older bro did k12 science in K and 1, and we really, really liked it but I just can't see investing that much at this time for 1st grade science. NL does look good, but it isn't much cheaper than K12, which would be my ideal if it weren't for the cost.

My current first grader did one MBtP concept at the beginning of this year. It was concept 4 in the 6-8 age range. Off the top of my head, it covered

the states of matter

rocks and minerals

balance (as in - What is a balance and what can you balance with it? - but also including a lesson on a balanced diet)

Uh - I seem to remember something about different types of fish living at different levels of the ocean in which there was more or less sunlight.

I remember him making a sign about not spilling gas because it's bad for the environment and then taking it up to the gas station for them to hang up.

Anyway, it was very hands on. He learned a ton and enjoyed it. I did have to gather materials, but it was not awful (things like/: a candle, food coloring, whatever liquids we had on hand...). It is something that is meant to last a quarter of a school year. I think we took a bit longer with it, maybe more like a third of the school year. It is quite pricey.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, especially once I'm at home and can look at the TM again.

What's MBtB?

I am also doing the CK science sequence. Have you looked at the Delta Science Modules at School Specialty? These are FABULOUS inquiry-driven science units, which mostly align with the CK sequence (the grade levels may be off by a year). You can download a pdf of the activity sequence for each unit. Most of the supplies are readily available, with only a few specialty items. Personally, I think they are easier to implement than GEMS. The teacher handbooks are expensive, however. We just make our science stuff a high priority in our homeschool budget.

Another good one is FOSS (also developed by Livermore Hall of Science), but DSM is easier to implement.

If nothing else, the pdf samples of the teacher handbooks are a good source of inspiration for developing your own units.

3. Has lesson plans

4. Secular

We use McGraw-Hill Science. The textbook covers a road range of topics, includes experiments (but not materials), and is secular. It doesn't include lesson plans that I know of (I just use the textbook) but it's simple to use. Do the expore activity first. Then discuss vocabulary and read through the topic. Answer the review questions at the end. :001_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/Harcourt-Science-Grade-1-HSP/dp/015317496X/ref=pd_sim_b_14

Thanks all. DH and I talked tonight, and since we don't spend tons in other areas, science will likely be our "pricey" course. We're leaning towards NL for younger and K12 4th grade for older.

Still thinking, but this is where we're at now.