Menu

If I've read Liping Ma, do I still need HIGs?

If I've read Liping Ma's book (and was a physics major myself, so very comfy with math), do you still recommend the Singapore HIGs? Just trying to plan for the future, lol. :-)

I have a math and comp sci degrees and I never used them. I bought one, but it was totally overkill. My kids run with math mostly on their own.

I wouldn't hesitate to try without and see where it takes you! If you feel like your kids want more hands on than you can produce on the fly, you can always order one up later.

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics is not a complete guide on how to teach elementary math. It's Ma's dissertation, I believe, that compares US and Chinese teachers' knowledge and methods on a very few select topics. I thought the book was OK, but hardly a guide for how to actually teach math yourself.

Singapore's HIGs break teaching down into individual lessons. They are a very good resource for guiding you to teach conceptually. The textbook & workbook are more for practice. The real teaching comes from the lesson done by the teacher. I would recommend that ANY teacher use the HIG.

I think you should at least purchase the first one; there's more in there than just how to teach math. I like the way they show you how to explain things and also the games that they offer. I would do a better job if I took the time to play the games.... I think to fairly use the program, you should have all the "pieces". Seriously, I think that everyone can make it through 5A or so without any help, but the $$$ that you spend is worth it in my opinion... just to have them. :)

I'm very comfortable with doing the math but not necessarily teaching it. I have found the HIGs very helpful. Even when I don't need it I find that it often reminds me to make sure ds understands a concept in a particular way. Ds is quite "mathy" so he often can do a problem easily in his own way. That's fine but the HIGs help me make sure he also understands the underlying concept. I think without them I'd often just move ahead which might get us into trouble later. I think they also have nice ideas for games and I like the mental math sheets as a drill that are in them.

IMO, saying, "I read LM's book, so do I need the HIGs?" is like saying, "I know 1+1=2, so do I need eggs in this cake?" Ma's point was that the teachers who really understood (and were willing to use all sorts of different people/references to learn more) math were better at teaching it.

The HIGs are a good reference. I'd get one and see if they are helpful for you.

I'm a mechanical engineering major, so I'm comfy with math, too. I've read Liping Ma's Knowing & Teaching Elementary Math. For me, it is worth it to get the "teaching instruction" equivalent to the HIG in the math we use.

:)

We are only on level 2 and I am fairly mathy. I like having the HIGs though, because the way I think to explain things that I do in my head is much harder for my children to understand than the way they explain it. :001_smile: And we enjoy all of the games that I wouldn't take the time to come up with on my own.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll order one and resell if necessary. I'm not opposed to using one, just don't want to spend the $$ if I don't need to.

I'll just chime in to say I think you've made a good call. I'm coming from a strong math background as well and am still very glad to be able to refer to the HIGs to re-think about how topics might be presented to younger students.