Menu

HOD

KeriJ

okay, so I tried to multi-quote and I guess I failed. LOL

I don't doubt that Bigger is quite full, my son is 9 (turning 10 in the fall) and entering 4th grade. We worked in R&S3 this year so we will finish 3 and start 4 this coming year. We use Math Mammoth, so I know no matter which guide I choose for him I will always be penciling the lessons we need.

I appreciated seeing the outline of LA activities that a previous poster listed. Thanks!! I am trying to plan on attending the vendor fair of the CHAP convention so I can see it all in person... we'll see! ;)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want next year to be all about narration (moving into written but solidifying oral first) dictation, grammar etc. When I look at Bigger I worry because I based on those samples on the link you gave me, she definitely can do the Preparing dictation. I know she is ready for R&S3. But I worry about narration. She has ADHD and her probably with narration is staying focused and not going off on a tangent while she tells me about something the story reminded her of. She doesn't do that when she writes narrations (we don't write narrations often but she stays on task better that way) but she isn't really ready for much more than a short paragraph written narration. She can write pages when she's making up her own stuff but not when I direct the topic yet. And she hasn't done cursive. She can read it but we haven't focused much on writing it yet.

Heather

Okay Heather, this makes sense. Goodness, I think you could go either way. Are you planning to begin now or in the fall? If now then I think Bigger is a better choice....better to build her skills step by step in bite size chunks. HOD has narration practice throughout the plans day by day. It is very well integrated. IF you are going to purchase a Preparing guide to use for studied dictation you can use the excellent written narration instructions with your DD when she is ready to begin writing them down. I am planning to do that with my son as I'm certain he will be ready to write narrations down very soon. He is also going to use R&S 3. It doesn't matter what level of R&S you choose. It's a do the next lesson deal so doesn't affect the schedule.

If you are going to wait until the fall and you are on the fence then purchase a Preparing guide immediately. Read it and ponder it carefully. Their resale is excellent. Have DD begin a cursive book right now while you are pondering. My oldest has been using Carrie's recommendation of Cheerful Cursive and loving it. We do a page a day. VP carries a series that looks excellent. You have so many options! Mrs. Beers teaches it in PR 2. I'm not sure if you still have that...:001_smile: You can also focus on narrating now. In fact, when it comes to narrating that is a part of studying with HOD over the years. It is a process that will unfold a little differently for every child. When you use Preparing, the written narration teaching really is quite gentle to start. I'll have to look at it more closely to get a better idea of where you end up at the end. I know there is a progression in how it is handled. I love it! I am seriously considering Preparing now after all of this!! I just don't know if my guy has the time management skills.... he may need the Bigger experience to grow him in those other very important areas as well (using time well, staying on task, learning how to do the notebooking, etc.). It's not just about the academics...it's about the whole child. Sometimes I forget that in my enthusiasm to see him move forward in academic skills....:001_smile: Bigger's Bible Study and hymn study are excellent too. I don't want him to miss them.

I was reading an interesting thread at the HOD board last night. Julie wrote a nice post about the individuality in each student's notebooking sheets here:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9041

:drool::drool::drool:

Knock it off already. I can't stop drooling!!!

I'm only half way through this thread but I have got to go to bed.

The weather has been crummy for my garage sale and I'm going to have to come up with Plan B in order to raise my HOD money. And I really want to start DITHOR too in Aug instead of waiting.

I posted my 8th grade reading list question in 3 places and got no help. :tongue_smilie::D

So this is what I came up with using my friends google and amazon.

Biography - Old Hickory by Marrin

Adventure - 39 Steps by John Buchan

Historical Fiction - The Light in the Forest by Conrad Richter

Fantasy - The Wizard of Earthsea by Leguin

Mystery - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Folk Tale - The Golden Fleece by Padraic Colum

Nonfiction - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo

Humor - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Realistic Fiction - The Contender

The book packs in the catalog had multiple books for some of the genres so I'm not really sure how this will pan out exactly. I do want to spend some time with Windows to the World with my 8th grader before he hits highschool. I guess I'm going to limit dithor to 1 per genre so we'll have some time left-over for Windows.

I so very much wish HOD had their highschool programs written. I'm going with MFW for my up-and-coming 9th grader and that is my 1st priority since I feel like I can cobble together the other (as I've been doing now for years) But I really want highschool to be all planned and laid out with minimal question marks. Anyway, my 1st $400 raised is to purchase MFW and *then* I can start raising my HOD money. Hoping for sunny skies tomorrow.

This thread has been alot of fun...too much fun really. :D

There's a thread on the HOD about high school level books to use for DITHOR. I know you're looking for 8th grade but still there might be some suggestions you could use. Also, HOD sells a "suggested book list" for $5, which has suggestions for each of the genres. Many of the suggestions are appropriate for older grades.

HTH!

LBC is Living Books Curriculum. It's a bit closer to something like Ambleside Online but with a more modern mix of books and fleshed out scheduling. It definitely follows a CM approach and teaching two streams of history concurrently - American and World history - both studied chronologically.

Heather

Thanks Heather,

I took a quick look and I still think that HOD looks more interesting and well laid out than this. I also like that HOD is going through HS so I have the option for my younger ones to use HOD all the way through. Thank you again.:001_smile:

While I think it is important to appropriately challenge kids sometimes I think we homeschool moms fret needlessly over minutiae. I'm putting my will be 5th grader in Bigger even though he could probably do Preparing. The point of tring HOD for me is keeping my sanity. I'm thinking that by high school graduation which year he studied written narration won't really matter.

The first HOD guide that I purchased was Bigger Hearts. I used it for two weeks with my then 5th and 2nd graders. At that point, it was clear that it wasn't the best fit for either one of them. I then bumped my oldest up to Preparing and chose to do Little Hearts with my youngest, though he placed into Beyond.

I LOVE Bigger Hearts. I was very sad that it didn't work for us at that time. For us, Bigger Hearts was too light for 5th grade. In retrospect, I probably could have made it work by supplementing for my oldest and I kind of wish I had done that, but as its written, there just wasn't enough content. I was disappointed because I had wanted to do American History with him. That's why we came back to SL for American History after our awesome year with HOD.

Edited by Donna T.

There's a thread on the HOD about high school level books to use for DITHOR. I know you're looking for 8th grade but still there might be some suggestions you could use. Also' date=' HOD sells a "suggested book list" for $5, which has suggestions for each of the genres. Many of the suggestions are appropriate for older grades.

HTH![/quote']

I tried poking around for the thread but I couldn't find it. I forgot about that little booklet. Thanks for reminding me.

While I think it is important to appropriately challenge kids sometimes I think we homeschool moms fret needlessly over minutiae. I'm putting my will be 5th grader in Bigger even though he could probably do Preparing. The point of tring HOD for me is keeping my sanity. I'm thinking that by high school graduation which year he studied written narration won't really matter.

:iagree:

:iagree::iagree:

I do appreciate this. I haven't ordered anything yet. ;) I'm still praying over the final decision.

I got my LHFHG set in the mail last week and hope to have time to really look at it this weekend. I ordered the Thinking Skills book (for 1st grade) and I actually think it will be a bit too hard for DS so I am going to order the Kindy stuff and comtemplate do a 4 day with it.

I am also getting all curriculum that I wont be using and will have a nice for sale page here shortly to raise money for Preparing! I just cant find it used. BOO.

And I just bought the DITHOR TM from someone one this board today so i am looking forward to getting that and figuring out what level I am going to use. :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering Hod for this school year, so thought I'd enjoy reading a lot of the forum (which I do), but unfortunately I don't understand what half the abbreviations stand for. I apologize for my ignorance, but would love to be able to follow along a little better.:001_huh:

I am considering Hod for this school year, so thought I'd enjoy reading a lot of the forum (which I do), but unfortunately I don't understand what half the abbreviations stand for. I apologize for my ignorance, but would love to be able to follow along a little better.:001_huh:

ER- Emerging Readers, which follow your phonics program or one suggested by HOD (Which are TRL - The Reading Lesson and RME- Reading Made Easy)

DITHOR- Drawn Into the Heart of Reading-- the lit program to use after the emerging readers

The guides in order from preschool and up: (numbers are ages, 2nd number is extension age)

LHTH Little Hands to Heaven 2-5

LHFHG LIttle Hearts for HIs Glory 5-7

BLHFHG BeyondLHFHG 6-8

BHFHG BiggerHFHG 7-9, 10-11

PHFHG PreparingHFHG, 8-10, 11-12

CTC Creation to Christ 9-11, 12-13

RTR Resurrection to Reformation 10-12, 13-14

Rev2Rev Revival to Revolution 11-13, 14-15

There will be a modern american guide to follow this, then 4 high school guides, starting with geography

I hope my post doesn't get buried in this LONG thread, but I don't want to start another HOD thread that may be ignored :)

My son is 12, an avid reader, he just finished Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa which is about 600 pages of 12th century Japanese history. But his language arts skills are lacking. He can narrate in great detail and identify a central narrative, he's a natural speller and knows very basic grammar. He can discuss books in great length but asking him to write down a paragraph would bring him to tears. I've been thinking about using Preparing or CtoC with him. I would also want to use DITHOR. I'm concerned that the books in Preparing will be too easy for him but the LA is probably where he is at.

Also, to make the choice even more difficult, I'd like to put my 8 yo dd in the same program. She also reads well above grade level, but her LA skills are about grade level. She can do FLL 3 and WWE 3, which I won't even attempt with my ds.

I hope I made sense and that you guys can help me!

Hi,

I have several questions for you experienced HOD users. I have been strongly considering using HOD CTC next year for my dd. She will be 11 in June and entering the 6th grade. I've come to the conclusion that I need a schedule. I have 4 children ages 3-12. My oldest is mentally/ physically handicapped. My 9 yr old has other less severe learning disabilities.I also work part-time. I would love to live in an ideal world where I had ample time each week to plan and pull together supplies. However, I've finally accepted that curricula no matter how wonderful that are teacher intensive are not going to get consistently done in my house. TOG- this means you!

I returned from my state convention yesterday. Last year there was a large HOD booth. Unfortunately, HOD did not come to the NC state convention this year. I was very disappointed because even though I have looked extensively at the samples online I have yet to actually hold a guide in my hands. Also, I was hoping to talk to the vendor personally because I do have several questions. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

1. Is there definitely a schedule for the extension books used for storytime? I would most likely order these instead of the history pack.

2. Are there comprehension questions that go along with the storytime books a la Sonlight or is comprehension linked to the narration exercises? Is there more than just a reading list? I think she would enjoy reading some of the titles in the history pack but it would be great to have a question or two per chapter to ensure that she is "getting it". (HOD appeals to me more than Sonlight because of the more detailed daily schedule. In addition, I believe that HOD is less expensive which is a consideration for me.)

3. Are the student page notebooks done well? Do they require higher thinking skills or are they fill in the blank types pages?

4. CTR uses Apologia's Land Animals book which I already own. It also uses 4 or 5 supplementary books - one on birds, two on anatomy and medicine and maybe one more. From the sample I see students are directed to create a science notebook. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the Apologia notebook that goes with the course? She did Flying Animals this year and loved it. I wondering how often the supplemental books are used and if student also create notebook pages for these additional books.

Thanks in advance for any comments/ suggestions. I appreciate your input.

Trafal

Hi,

I have several questions for you experienced HOD users. I have been strongly considering using HOD CTC next year for my dd. She will be 11 in June and entering the 6th grade. I've come to the conclusion that I need a schedule. I have 4 children ages 3-12. My oldest is mentally/ physically handicapped. My 9 yr old has other less severe learning disabilities.I also work part-time. I would love to live in an ideal world where I had ample time each week to plan and pull together supplies. However, I've finally accepted that curricula no matter how wonderful that are teacher intensive are not going to get consistently done in my house. TOG- this means you!

I returned from my state convention yesterday. Last year there was a large HOD booth. Unfortunately, HOD did not come to the NC state convention this year. I was very disappointed because even though I have looked extensively at the samples online I have yet to actually hold a guide in my hands. Also, I was hoping to talk to the vendor personally because I do have several questions. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

1. Is there definitely a schedule for the extension books used for storytime? I would most likely order these instead of the history pack.

2. Are there comprehension questions that go along with the storytime books a la Sonlight or is comprehension linked to the narration exercises? Is there more than just a reading list? I think she would enjoy reading some of the titles in the history pack but it would be great to have a question or two per chapter to ensure that she is "getting it". (HOD appeals to me more than Sonlight because of the more detailed daily schedule. In addition, I believe that HOD is less expensive which is a consideration for me.)

3. Are the student page notebooks done well? Do they require higher thinking skills or are they fill in the blank types pages?

4. CTR uses Apologia's Land Animals book which I already own. It also uses 4 or 5 supplementary books - one on birds, two on anatomy and medicine and maybe one more. From the sample I see students are directed to create a science notebook. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the Apologia notebook that goes with the course? She did Flying Animals this year and loved it. I wondering how often the supplemental books are used and if student also create notebook pages for these additional books.

Thanks in advance for any comments/ suggestions. I appreciate your input.

Trafal

Bumping this up for you - I haven't done any of the older elementary guides, which it sounds like you're interested in. You might also try the HOD message board, post on the "main board" :D

I hope my post doesn't get buried in this LONG thread, but I don't want to start another HOD thread that may be ignored :)

My son is 12, an avid reader, he just finished Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa which is about 600 pages of 12th century Japanese history. But his language arts skills are lacking. He can narrate in great detail and identify a central narrative, he's a natural speller and knows very basic grammar. He can discuss books in great length but asking him to write down a paragraph would bring him to tears. I've been thinking about using Preparing or CtoC with him. I would also want to use DITHOR. I'm concerned that the books in Preparing will be too easy for him but the LA is probably where he is at.

Also, to make the choice even more difficult, I'd like to put my 8 yo dd in the same program. She also reads well above grade level, but her LA skills are about grade level. She can do FLL 3 and WWE 3, which I won't even attempt with my ds.

I hope I made sense and that you guys can help me!

the placement charts will help with that. If his LA are lacking I wouldn't worry about what reading level he is doing especially if you want him to work on that skill [narration etc].

I'm in the same boat. Have my oldest doing MM and deciding about the others if I want to start with Singapore then later switch to MM after SM 2B since the hands-on stop in the HOD guides or if we just want to start with and continue MM or start and continue SM....I'm back and forth but with how familar I am getting with MM with the oldest, I really think sticking with it for my boys will be the right way to go. We will end up in the same place at the end of 6B either way! I think I'll still do the fun math activities in the guides though with my youngers. They're just so fun! (we used the 2B lessons from the guide with my oldest)

I haven't read all 18 pages (!) to see if this comes up again - but I thought one of the advantages of MM was that I could just print it again for my younger kids, not have to buy anything. Is the SM you all are talking about reusable or consumable?

I have MM grades 1 - 3 and anticipate using grade 1 after a few weeks of kindergarten since we did a lot of preschool math activities similar to what's in LHFHG this year.

I am so glad I found this forum and thread - it was through a search. I thought the place to discuss HOD and learn about it was their own message board, but it's kind of discouraged to discuss any other curriculum or ways you want to tweak it apparently...so I will be lurking on here a lot :)

I haven't read all 18 pages (!) to see if this comes up again - but I thought one of the advantages of MM was that I could just print it again for my younger kids, not have to buy anything. Is the SM you all are talking about reusable or consumable?

I have MM grades 1 - 3 and anticipate using grade 1 after a few weeks of kindergarten since we did a lot of preschool math activities similar to what's in LHFHG this year.

Singapore uses workbooks.

• 2 weeks later...
OK....just kidding.:tongue_smilie: I have nothing to post. I'm just sad the other HOD threads have gotten bumped away. I miss talking about it because I'm excited about starting soon!! :)

I was searching, found this, and couldn't help myself - I just had to bump. :lol:

I have my stuff sitting in my shopping card, waiting on money. *sigh*

I have plenty of time but ... *shivers* ... I'm eager to start.

Quick .. someone think of something I could sell .. anyone need something knit or crocheted for them??

I hear you there. I was so excited to have sold a few of my previous years curriculum at our local used book sale. Because of that I was able to get my LHFHG, but now I'm broke again:001_huh: & I can't wait to be able to purchase the CTC for 2-3 of my older ones (I'm still trying to decide if I should implement it to work for my Highschool DS). I am loving the LHFHG manual & can't wait to start myself. Keep your eyes open for used HOD material. That's how I got mine. You can save quite a bit that way. Did you know that there is also a HOD yahoo group? Here is the link if your interested http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeschoolingHODMoms/

This is a great way to know when other HOD users are selling their curriculum.

I do hope you can crochet something for someone. What a great way to earn a little money:001_smile:. I've thought of selling a kid once or twice.... Just kidding:lol:.

I was searching, found this, and couldn't help myself - I just had to bump. :lol:

I have my stuff sitting in my shopping card, waiting on money. *sigh*

I have plenty of time but ... *shivers* ... I'm eager to start.

Quick .. someone think of something I could sell .. anyone need something knit or crocheted for them??

I ordered Creation to Christ and it shipped the same day!! It's on the way to me now. Yes, now I'm broke. I should have waited but once I decided we were definately doing it next year I couldn't wait. I did try, but I couldn't hold out... I can't wait to see the Student Sheets :D.

Do share all about it when it arrives!!:bigear:

I ordered Creation to Christ and it shipped the same day!! It's on the way to me now. Yes, now I'm broke. I should have waited but once I decided we were definately doing it next year I couldn't wait. I did try, but I couldn't hold out... I can't wait to see the Student Sheets :D.

We are doing CtC next year 2012-2013. I look forward to hearing about it!

Thanks for bumping this thread again!:)

Saturday is our area's homeschool used book sale! So excited! Praying to find some of my HOD stuff used!!! I haven't ordered anything yet because I've been waiting for this sale!!

I've been using gift cards bought with swagbucks to get some used deals through Amazon. How cheap is that?

It would be wonderful to get one big box of shiny, new books but oh well - I have to do what I have to do and I must be thankful that I can do it!

I feel bad not being able to buy through their site though .. I mean really bad, like I'm stealing or something. :001_huh: Someone set my conscience straight, please!

I hear you there. I was so excited to have sold a few of my previous years curriculum at our local used book sale. Because of that I was able to get my LHFHG, but now I'm broke again:001_huh: & I can't wait to be able to purchase the CTC for 2-3 of my older ones (I'm still trying to decide if I should implement it to work for my Highschool DS). I am loving the LHFHG manual & can't wait to start myself. Keep your eyes open for used HOD material. That's how I got mine. You can save quite a bit that way. Did you know that there is also a HOD yahoo group? Here is the link if your interested http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeschoolingHODMoms/

This is a great way to know when other HOD users are selling their curriculum.

I do hope you can crochet something for someone. What a great way to earn a little money:001_smile:. I've thought of selling a kid once or twice.... Just kidding:lol:.

Thanks for the yahoo group link! That will be useful.

Crocheting would be an awesome way to make money if I knew anyone that wanted to spend money. :lol:

When is your school year starting?

For your HOD perusing pleasure

http://ourfamilyforhisglory.blogspot.com/2011/06/answering-your-many-homeschooling-with.html'>http://http://ourfamilyforhisglory.blogspot.com/2011/06/answering-your-many-homeschooling-with.html'>http://ourfamilyforhisglory.blogspot.com/2011/06/answering-your-many-homeschooling-with.html'>http://http://ourfamilyforhisglory.blogspot.com/2011/06/answering-your-many-homeschooling-with.html

This mama's kids are little (she just finished LHFHG) but I thought it might be helpful to anyone researching HOD. It's a lovely blog.:)

http://ourfamilyforhisglory.blogspot.com/2011/06/answering-your-many-homeschooling-with.html

I've been using gift cards bought with swagbucks to get some used deals through Amazon. How cheap is that?

It would be wonderful to get one big box of shiny, new books but oh well - I have to do what I have to do and I must be thankful that I can do it!

I feel bad not being able to buy through their site though .. I mean really bad, like I'm stealing or something. :001_huh: Someone set my conscience straight, please!

I think that even tho there are some who can buy through their site they know for some it just isn't possible- and are happy that the curriculum is being used. Word of mouth does wonders. That is payment enough don't you think? Im using 2 guides. I bought one used and the other new.

Do share all about it when it arrives!!:bigear:

I will! I'll never forget the day that I got my first HOD program in the mail. It was Bigger Hearts. I laid everything all out on the table and took about 50 pictures of it all!! That was back when I was blogging. I ended up shelving it for the year and separated the children into Little Hearts and Preparing rather than trying to combine in Bigger Hearts. So, it's just been sitting in a box all this time!! I am so, so excited to finally get to use it. And, eager to see CTC... maybe tomorrow!!

I've had many "box days" because I've been ordering when I can from where I can. A friend of mine picked up the guides for me from HoD at CHAP last month and then I've picked up a few things used from the sale board here, Amazon (with giftcards from Swagbucks!!), found a bunch of the books at my local Goodwill shops and just received a box from Rainbow Resource with the rest. I plan on putting all the children's supplies in their cubbies and letting them explore their new stuff for the first day of school. We will be starting the "new year" in the next week or two. Hopefully the children are as excited as I am!

Oooh!! I got my student sheets in the mail a couple weeks ago. They are GORGEOuS!! I'm excited to start too.

I had wonderful luck finding used books at half.com and also abebooks.com

I really lucked out finding sellers that had several of the books I was looking for and those 2 sites will reduce shipping if you order from the same seller. I wish Amazon would do that. Our used book fair is Monday. I'm hoping I can round up a few more items on my list. I only need Accidental Voyage and Dinosaurs of Eden to finish up CtC. It's the new book Rev 2 Rev that's giving me fits. I've found a fair amount of the resources used but there are several that must not be popular....yet. :D

Unfortunately, I live in Kansas & HOD doesn't seem to be very well known here. Therefore, there's been no HOD seller's used or other at our used book sale or convention:crying:. The first time I actually held a manual was when I bought it. Lord willing it's more well known where you live. Enjoy the used book sale. That's a great way to get curriculum.:001_smile:

Thanks for bumping this thread again!:)

Saturday is our area's homeschool used book sale! So excited! Praying to find some of my HOD stuff used!!! I haven't ordered anything yet because I've been waiting for this sale!!

Thanks, I've been searching everywhere, but these two sites. I bought my HOD LHFHG from this forum, but Vegsource has an occasional HOD item too.

I had wonderful luck finding used books at half.com and also abebooks.com

I really lucked out finding sellers that had several of the books I was looking for and those 2 sites will reduce shipping if you order from the same seller. I wish Amazon would do that. Our used book fair is Monday. I'm hoping I can round up a few more items on my list. I only need Accidental Voyage and Dinosaurs of Eden to finish up CtC. It's the new book Rev 2 Rev that's giving me fits. I've found a fair amount of the resources used but there are several that must not be popular....yet. :D